Hitching and general travel with Dogs | Squat the Planet

Hitching and general travel with Dogs

D

Deleted member 2626

So has anyone had someone try to take their dog yet? There's been a few times where i was crawling out the front passenger door to go to the back door to get my buddy out thinking, damn if they took off I don't know what i'd do. Had a thought today about just keeping him at my feet at all costs. Might be paranoid but I couldn't imgaine. And lately fuckin people are just acting so gay about him being out in the cold. Its ridiculous the amount of pity sometimes. just today i was going into an applebees to fill out an app and I left my dude in my subaru wagon to fill it out and shes like your not gonna leave that poor baby in that car are you. god damn sometimes it gets under my skin. But I get asked a lot if I have enough dog food and because of him a lady offered to pay for my two 40's last night. Was hitchin this hot summer though, to my friends house. Had a lady offer to give my dog a ride but not me, I said whats that do for me she said I just wanna help your dog out not you. I'm not always on the hoof when shit goes down with me and my dog. He helped me meet a cool homeless lady living in a station wagon with 3 dogs and 2 cats last year at a walmart that I frequented for parking in my van. I'd like to hear any good dog stories or traveling stories with critters in general.

Shakou

Reaction score
Fucking aye, tell me about it... Last summer, we biked California with our two dogs in a large bike trailer. Both dogs (a 30 pound Pit Bull and a 40 pound Blue Heeler) LOVED riding in there, though we occasionally let my Heeler out to run with the bike when in areas that had wide bike paths or during times of the day when the pavement wasn't too hot. People BITCHED. SO. MUCH. It was fucking retarded.

There were a couple times during the trip however where we met some people that were just flat out nice. This one town we were in a guy randomly bought my husband and I each a supersize McDonalds meal, and bought each of our dogs a cheeseburger. We never asked him for anything, he just did it.

Other then that, nothing really overly positive. Compliments on how sweet they are, etc. People had a big thing for throwing bags of dog food at us, like our dogs were starving or something. Little did they know, there was a 20 pound bag of Blue Buffalo being carried in my husband's backpack. Our dogs were probably the healthiest animals in California.

D

Deleted member 2626

Yep i do the same with ym dog go biking where he can run alongside. Its quite demeaning when people pester you about your dog. Especially my friendly ass, healthy looking dog. Yeah, he's an outside dog and is in the weather a lot. But he's more free than house dogs and is way healthier. Mostly ladies that ask me bullshit questions or make shitty comments.

Cristian

Reaction score
when i'm on the road with my dog, shit, she eats better than i do! I've been hitchiking a buncha times and people have stopped and been like if you didnt have that dog i prolly wouldnt have picked you up. i always run into the best luck with my dog too its fuckin awesome. like i'll just be hanging out trying to get a ride in front of a gas station with my pup and people come up to me and give me 120 bucks outta nowhere. there like, 'its for your dogs food' little do they know the dog has more food than i do! haha.

• Sad
Reactions: Blueberry
D

Deleted member 2626

Yep exactly as well big trend here with dogs lol. But yeah had people say the same thing if i wasn't with my dog I'd still be left standing.

D

deleted user

Ya I've always been cautious about people taking my pup. I don't trust or ride with people I get automatic bad vibes from and I always know where my knives are. No one is going to take him =). Best advice is to trust no one when it comes to your dog. Don't leave it alone with anyone you get rides with. If you HAVE to, make sure they are in your site and close Enough to run after and get to quick if they decide to get froggy. Also, if you don't trust them at all but NEEDED a ride, tell them flat out where to be with your dog. My advice of course. =)

• Useful
Reactions: LaShea

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads