Hitchhiking/Train Hop to the Spartan Races (1 Viewer)

trufeats

Lurker
Current Location
Tri State Area, New York
Website
www.giugafitness.com
I've got a unique vision in mind.

I'd love to spend a few months-a year hitchhiking around the US from Spartan Race to Spartan Race. These races are fun, but also provide plenty of volunteer opportunities the days of the races (and the weeks prior building the course). Every time you volunteer, you're provided with food/snacks, make plenty of local connections, get a free volunteer shirt, and earn a free race code.

That race code can be used by yourself for a fun time to race, but they also stockpile pretty quickly if you volunteer everyday leading up to a race. I'm wondering if selling these free Spartan race codes online would be a great way to earn a few quick bucks considering these races go for well over $100.

It'd be pretty damn cool to have a group of people from this forum who meet up at these Spartan races and race together, and I'd really love a companion to hitchhike or train hop with from race to race.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Current Location
Australia
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
That sounds awesome!

I've recently been dreaming about freight hopping around to different triathlons...I used to compete when I was younger and I'm really interested in getting back into competing.

I've never done a Spartan race, but they look really fun! And volunteering for future race spots is a great idea.

How does signing up to volunteer work? Do you have to reside in the surrounding area of a race? I know a lot of music festivals only take volunteers who "live" in the surrounding area because people coming from far away are more likely to be flaky. Have you volunteered before?

OP
trufeats

trufeats

Lurker
Current Location
Tri State Area, New York
Website
www.giugafitness.com
That sounds awesome!

I've recently been dreaming about freight hopping around to different triathlons...I used to compete when I was younger and I'm really interested in getting back into competing.

I've never done a Spartan race, but they look really fun! And volunteering for future race spots is a great idea.

How does signing up to volunteer work? Do you have to reside in the surrounding area of a race? I know a lot of music festivals only take volunteers who "live" in the surrounding area because people coming from far away are more likely to be flaky. Have you volunteered before?
That's so cool! Let me know if you're every around these parts because I'd be so down for something like that... and I need to learn how to freight hop safely XD I've been wanting to do a triathlon. I signed up for one when I lived in Hawaii but ended up having to leave a week before the race. And I signed up for a full length ironman a couple years ago but I wasn't prepared for the bike portion when race day came around; the most I've ever biked at once at this point has been 50 miles with a mountain bike (and I don't have the extra money to buy a road bike yet lol).

Spartan races are incredibly fun! I believe they usually look for volunteers to help build the course for approximately 2 weeks before the race, so it's a real easy way to ensure you're getting fed everyday, not to mention meet a lot of cool people. Every shift you do earns a free race as long as it's a full day shift (not a half day). I've volunteered 3-4 times so far I believe and they take anyone. You don't have to live in the surrounding area from what I remember. They do have a lot of people flake out last minute though, but they just make do with what they've got.

As far as volunteering goes, in the weeks prior to the race you get paired up with a group to construct the obstacles and/or festival area. The days of the race, if you volunteer, there are plenty of more options. Most of the time I end up supervising obstacles and reporting injuries to the medics. Other volunteer jobs include handling transactions at the festival area, cleaning up the race, doing a quick run-through in the morning before the race, and dozens of other possibilities.

Very interesting indeed, I'm listening.
Awesome! Have you ever done a spartan race before? It'd be so cool to get a team setup with people from this site. The next race I know of is by Westpoint in NY (near the Hudson river). This past weekend was at Tuxedo, NY.

Zbart1108

Current Location
Just around the bend
Never done a Spartan race but I am an avid cyclist and traveler, not sure if I am up to racing but sounds fun I would be more into the travel and volinteer part lol

OP
trufeats

trufeats

Lurker
Current Location
Tri State Area, New York
Website
www.giugafitness.com
Never done a Spartan race but I am an avid cyclist and traveler, not sure if I am up to racing but sounds fun I would be more into the travel and volinteer part lol
Yeah it's so much fun! Volunteering in itself is an experience and a half. Let me know if you're going to travel to and volunteer at the Westpoint one and we can meetup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $110.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Bey
You know...you're gone for a bit, you have some adventures, you come back, and StP is on fucking fire!...Jesus, people, y'all sank the Jamboree?
And our breathe will carry us forward when we don't have the strength to carry ourselves
Might head out again soon. Really missing the road. Currently in the Knoxville area
dumpsternavel wrote on AAAutin's profile.
Your cover photo is glory
We are moving the jamboree to New Orleans this year due to some personal disagreements between myself and the lead organizer of the slab city library. Details can be found on the Jambo information thread.
Fever in the funk house now
Fever in the funkhouse now
nearly got arrested this morning for graffiti crime! I wrote"nice toilet, five stars will shit here again" and this fucking KID who looked like a fucking boy scout wanted to arrest me !?!?!?!?!?!? did I get that drunk I woke up in north korea this morning ?