Photos Featured Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Current Location
Thailand
3 days and 1000 kilometers

What's up my dudes, so me and @Caro here from StP have been unknowingly co-occupying Melbourne. We met up at Lentils the other day and it didn't take us more than a brief introduction to decide to hitchhike the Great Ocean Road together. By the time we had finished our veggie burgers, the underground tunnels were on the table as well. Hitting the road was the most natural thing in the world, despite the ceaseless references to Wolf Creek and astute observations of our gender provided by the Australian people.

img_1446-jpg.32914_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Spotted: wild strippers masked by hoodies and pajama bottoms. The lady in the passenger seat had some interesting insights into the American Military-Industrial complex. Bad Bitches Don't Give A Fuck (except when it regards unfair power structures)

img_1447-jpg.32915_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

My junk in the trunk to the second power.

img_1422-jpg.32911_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

img_1543-jpg.32925_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

img_1476-jpg.32916_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Pictured above: a sampling of what we subsided on for a few days: the fanciest motherfucking coffee you will ever see (Melbourne's got a coffee complex), cheese, crackers, and hella chocolate. This was in Kaos Kafe in which the barista could be found screeching about Lou Reed and all sorts of indiscernible subjects.

img_1574-jpg.32933_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

There's hella tourism van companies around here that rent out vans to backpackers and such and each of them are painted to different theme. This one we got a ride from was decked out in Red Hot Chili Peppers. The homies who picked us up were from Miami and were well-versed in the phrasing "TRUUUUUUEEE".

img_1442-jpg.32913_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Caro tagging the inside of the van.

img_1548-jpg.32928_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Typical Great Ocean Road views.

img_1545-jpg.32924_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Sprawling out in the back of the van.

img_1432-jpg.32912_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Tourist trap/actually really cool cause there's a little koala population right nearby so you can walk around and see koalas. Not pictured: photos of koalas because those little fuckers climb so high into the trees, any photo you have of them just looks like a protrusion from the tree and not a marsupial.

img_1481-jpg.32918_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

The beach where we set up camp the first night.

img_1513-jpg.32920_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

img_1478-jpg.32917_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Ruby, the fisherman's dog. Summary: Caro is pro-dog. Caro Stamp Of Approval.

img_1509-jpg.32919_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Looking to have some bitch cut? Call 1-800-FUCK-BITCHES (bitch referring to gender-irrelevant ass-butt)

img_1546-jpg.32926_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

img_1519-jpg.32921_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Beach near the Twelve Apostles.

img_1535-jpg.32922_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Two of the 12 Apostles: Bushwacked out to this spot, seeking refuge from the massive amount of tourists at the viewpoints.

img_1547-jpg.32927_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Sheep!!!!!!!! Sheep everywhere!!!!!!!!!

img_1568-jpg.32931_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Our setup in Apollo Bay, night 2.

img_1542-jpg.32923_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Stopped by Bells Beach on the way back to Melbourne.

img_1564-jpg.32929_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Nudie beach. Had a staring contest with a naked man and his dingly dong.

img_1567-jpg.32930_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

img_1578-jpg.32934_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

Here for the VHS revival. Praise the Lord of Air Bud remakes and gumball machines. Blockbuster is very much alive and in business here in Aussie Land. Their employee was not amused when we barged in yelling "WAIT YOU GUYS AREN'T OUT OF BUSINESS HAHA WHAT"

img_1569-jpg.32932_Hitchhiking the Great Ocean Road_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_10:52 PM

In Summary, the Aussie coastline and countryside are beautiful and the people are kind. No matter how small the town or short the ride, people have real stories and funny personalities. At the end of the day, your left thumb stretched out at the road is just as good as your right thumb being stuck up your very own butt ::finger:: hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
surprised i didn't see this until now, but this is a great report back from your adventure. bonus points cause im really interested in traveling australia myself! added this to our 'best of' list!

Last edited:
Reactions: croc and Koala
OP
Koala

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Current Location
Thailand
Sweet, thanks @Matt Derrick! I know, you've been saying, you really got to get down to Straya when you can! I'm planning on going back in the fall for about a year so there's more where this came from ;D