Hitchhiking/Crust Hobo Scene in Australia? (1 Viewer)

Ari Biffin

Lurker
I've noticed that compared to other parts of the world this scene seems dead in Australia, I'd definitely want to get to know some Australians, especially South Australians who are/would be interested in hitchhiking or train hopping?

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
StP Supporter
Ha - just had a thread come in stating two aussies traveling up the west coast of the US shortly. I just did a search on our Introduction forum (you might want to enter an intro there too :)) and I'm seeing, within this past year as well as recently, about 5 or 6 Intros from new members from Australia. I'll drop the link to that here as well. Welcome to STP - hope you meet up with someone there!

https://squattheplanet.com/search/1919461/?q=Australia&o=date&c[node]=8

O

outlawloose

I closed my account
Yo! The Mighty South Aussies represent. I'm from Adelaide but been in north merika 2 years now, came here to do the things you cant in Australia.

Australia doesn't have the same scene of kids pissed at the social system and turning to the streets cos it's not as fucked up in Australia as over here. Hell, that's a good thing. Having said that there's still a lot of punks, travelers, adventures and DIYers in Adelaide and nationwide. You'll find them if you seek them. PM me if you've really looked and still at an odds

From all accounts hitching is very possible in Oz - maybe more so on the eastern seaboard. Riding freight is much tougher, dangerous and illegal back home than it is in the US. Also not impossible, I personally just never got around to it. Do a stp search and you'll find the right people to ask about specifics. I look forward to riding Brisbane to Melbourne if I make it back home, but I can wait - I'm having too much fun on US trains!

Last edited by a moderator:

sd40chef

Wanderer
hitching in australia is super easy. ive never waited more than a couple hours. whereas in north america ive waited days.
trains comparatively to north america are harder, less trains, less rideables, less routes, generally less cover in and around yards. its still doable just less cruisy/more waiting......
ive travelled nearly 6 months in aus now and to be honest i havent seen any travellers/punks while on the road hitching or around trains. only a bit here and there in cities busking or panhandling. you see heaps of european backpackers rubber tramping around however.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$105.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $105.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.