Hiking along high voltage pylons? | Squat the Planet

Hiking along high voltage pylons?

james22

Reaction score
Anyone have experience hiking along high voltage pylons? Theyre usually surrounded by trees or other good places to set up camp, and generally the grass around them is maintained. The only issue I can see with them is fording creeks. Unless anyone has anything bad to say about them this is likely how I'll travel. Any advice/warnings/etc. would be much appreciated

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
High Voltage Power Lines are probably a good place to spot UFO's. ::alien::

I will have remember to try this. Also, It might be a good idea to keep a distance in a thunder storm?

D

Deleted member 8978

I remember hanging around camp under a set of pylons, but it was too cold for me to sleep there and everyone else woke up sick as fuck! I do like the idea of sleeping under a pylon if it came down to it, but I would not recommend it when you're awaiting a train.

James Meadowlark

Sonic Reducer
Reaction score

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
I always had this dream of designing a little carriage that would travel on the wires and you could pedal it in a granny gear for getting up the hills, a little basket that hung from the wire, totally self-contained. You could even paint it "Utility Service Vehicle'' on the sides. Only thing would be getting over the insulators at each pylon

• Haha
Reactions: Sameer

james22

Reaction score
I always had this dream of designing a little carriage that would travel on the wires and you could pedal it in a granny gear for getting up the hills, a little basket that hung from the wire, totally self-contained. You could even paint it "Utility Service Vehicle'' on the sides. Only thing would be getting over the insulators at each pylon
It might work with the support cables up top, but that's a long ways up and near some hazardous voltage, also, why'd you dislike the post?

Reactions: Sameer

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
Oh whoops meant to like it. the thing about power lines is that they aren't hazardous at all unless you're grounded. Look up "liveline lineworkers" to see an illustration.
The same way a bird can sit on power lines, because they have no path to ground, they are alright.

Reactions: Sameer and james22

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads