Hike or Bike Camp sites? | Squat the Planet

Hike or Bike Camp sites?

schmutz

cooler than you
Reaction score
I know they exist, I have stayed in them before, but I can't seem to find a list of where they are in California. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Hylyx

Reaction score
You mean *actual* camping! Fuck yeah.
The park system site is actually helpful for once!

http://www.parks.ca.gov/parkindex/#section2

Click the hike and bike campsites box and it will have a list of them all. :)

I've also just done the "hike until you find a suitable spot that is far away from anyone" method to success once or twice.

schmutz

cooler than you
Reaction score
Yeah, that is the method I like best, but I am carefully planning a summer itinerary for 3 little boys with a thirst for adventure :) This will be our first time out together in 3 years and I got to prove to the powers that be that I am taking the responsibility seriously.

It is a rad program though, huh?

Hylyx

Reaction score
Oh wow! Good luck!
You could call up the parks service during office hours and tell them what you are doing; I bet they'd be able to help you plan out stuff! I've done volunteer work for the CA state parks and they are generally super helpful people.
Sounds like a radass adventure, my family used to go camping all the time when I was a youngin, and I'll never get tired of it. ^_^

Reactions: schmutz

schmutz

cooler than you
Reaction score
Thanks! I've been really surprised at how much more WORK it is to plan something like this out in advance (and my 9 yr old is certain I am going to plan the adventure right out of it, but I am sure once we are out there he will feel different. I think he is worried he won't get to explore a place until he has exhausted its potential before moving on, we've done some weekend trips and it is just never enough time. June 14th is my last day of work and they don't have to be back for school until late August. I am so stoked for this summer!

Reactions: Matt Derrick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads