Hi!

BelleBottoms

Reaction score
Settling is my new adventure.
Though I have been many places and would like to see many more, I am currently trying to set up a home in the high desert. We are several miles from any pavement or utility grids, and it's a huge, wonderful, difficult learning process to make life comfortable starting from bare land.
I miss exploring new places, going to giant festivals, learning about different cultures, gaining insight to humanity. But for now, being physically removed from traffic, pollution, consumerism, and status quo bullshit seems necessary. So here I am, learning about the planet by staying in one spot.

coyote mogollon

Reaction score
Settling is my new adventure.
Though I have been many places and would like to see many more, I am currently trying to set up a home in the high desert. We are several miles from any pavement or utility grids, and it's a huge, wonderful, difficult learning process to make life comfortable starting from bare land.
I miss exploring new places, going to giant festivals, learning about different cultures, gaining insight to humanity. But for now, being physically removed from traffic, pollution, consumerism, and status quo bullshit seems necessary. So here I am, learning about the planet by staying in one spot.
In a sense settling in one place, especially for a veteran rambler, is yet one more form of travvlin'. In that you're LEARNING TO KNOW a new place, to feel at home with it. The older I get, the more I appreciate going back to the really special places I found while on the road, as well as trying to stay fresh and re explore the place I call home (a squat in the Mission dist of S.F.) Good luck with yur high desert hidaway!

Dahloaf223

Reaction score
Hey, I homestead too in the high desert. I was drawn to the cheap prices of land out there. I dig the low cost and diy aspects the most. Also freelance a bit. I like working on cars as a hobby and also out of necessity, so it's nice to have a space. Ideally I'll get up to Alaska with a second property and get to do some mining, think that stuff is cool, and maybe get the oil revenue from what I hear. But we'll see if I get pulled elsewhere. Might finance what I got for cheap to someone later on, like 1k. Keep us updated. I find the tiny house stuff interesting too, but sometimes over complicated.

BelleBottoms

Reaction score
In a sense settling in one place, especially for a veteran rambler, is yet one more form of travvlin'. In that you're LEARNING TO KNOW a new place, to feel at home with it. The older I get, the more I appreciate going back to the really special places I found while on the road, as well as trying to stay fresh and re explore the place I call home (a squat in the Mission dist of S.F.) Good luck with yur high desert hidaway!
Thanks for this, Coyote. As part of accute site observation for the sake of making good placement decisions for home and garden, I realized that I know almost nothing about where I live - EARTH. I've been tracking the weather, taking pictures of and researching all the bugs and plants around, making a sundial to study how the sun tracks through the year, puzzling over the moon and the migratory birds that stop in for a drink. After a year of this, I feel like I've got a good understanding of about .09% of how everything works together... our planet is soooo complex!

I hope you have a wonderful day and discover something amazing.

BelleBottoms

Reaction score
Hey, I homestead too in the high desert. I was drawn to the cheap prices of land out there. I dig the low cost and diy aspects the most. Also freelance a bit. I like working on cars as a hobby and also out of necessity, so it's nice to have a space. Ideally I'll get up to Alaska with a second property and get to do some mining, think that stuff is cool, and maybe get the oil revenue from what I hear. But we'll see if I get pulled elsewhere. Might finance what I got for cheap to someone later on, like 1k. Keep us updated. I find the tiny house stuff interesting too, but sometimes over complicated.
Hi Dahloaf! Yes! In a world that pushes us into the concept of "owning" land, it sure is nice to find some that is affordable! Ours was 40 acres for $20k. That's still a lot of working and saving, but doable.
Homesteading in Alaska would be a TRIP! Not one I'm brave enough to try...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads