Hi, I'm "insert name here" and I'm an alcho.... oops. Wrong place.

Reaction score
I alwleays hated this kind of, "why don't you tell us about yourself," kind of thing. But in the interest of trying to be more sociable, here goes:
I'm in So Cal and have always wanted to see as much of the world as possible. Working for a carnival, (Not the cruise ships, not a circus,) for a VERY long time let me get very familiar with every barrio in the LA area, every catholic church in the suburbs and a lot of parks and strip malls all over Southern California. We even ventured to glamorous and exciting places like Powell, WY, Montpelier, ID and Beaver, UT. But I finally had to run away from the carnival for reasons I won't get into in the interest of not bitching. (But I might have some suggestions down the line for anyone looking for work on the road - if they don't mind hard work for crappy pay.)
Shortly after I walked away from the cotton candy & corn dogs I had a series of bad luck that I suspect might just be bad karma for some mistakes I made in the past. It was like crash, burn, smack....time to pay up. And now I'm technically homeless, car-less, still job-less and fresh out of ideas. Still not bitching- just the facts. I made the choices that led here anyway. I'm looking at it as an opportunity to create my life how I want it to be instead of just trying to get by like before. But, of course, there are certain practicalities to consider.
I have 2 dogs, so until I can get some kind of vehicle it would be kinda hard to hit the road. In the meantime I'm looking for any kind of tips on squatting. I have a place in mind but I'm still trying to find out more information before I grow a pair and just go for it. Not legal particulars - I already read up on the adverse possession criteria here in Cali and don't know if I want to stay for 5 years or more anyway. I'm looking for practical tips about making sure the place is vacant, opening it if necessary, avoiding arrest and finding out if anyone has shown an interest in the place since the owner died a few months ago. (with only some neices and a nephew who are fairly old and mostly out of state, in the way of living relatives,)And I've also been exploring around here, trying to learn the best ways to identify other potential locations if this one doesn't work out. If you have a home base of some sort and/or any kind of family to fall back on when you need a hand, count your blessings. Not everyone is so lucky. Since staying with friends or family isn't an option I'm trying to "think outside the box".
The thinking is that if I had one of the magic 3, (home, car, job/income,) the other 2 would be much less difficult to get. So there you go. For someone who normally doesn't like to put my business out there I think I just said way too much. I guess that's what happens when you hold shit back too long - it all spews out at once. Sorry.

Multifaceted

Reaction score
This is one of the more interesting intros I've seen lately. I like what you said about being able to recreate your life from scratch just how you like it. This applies to my life right now and kind of gave me a little inspiration. Ha.

You should browse the threads and post some question-specific threads. You'll get more in-depth answers that way- not everybody looks at the intros section, but may see the name of the thread and click on it due to them having some knowledge of the topic to share.

I hope you find what you're looking for. None of this is as terrifying as you'd expect. You just have to realize how invisible a single person can be. :)

Reactions: DrewSTNY

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
This is one of the more interesting intros I've seen lately. I like what you said about being able to recreate your life from scratch just how you like it. This applies to my life right now and kind of gave me a little inspiration. Ha.

You should browse the threads and post some question-specific threads. You'll get more in-depth answers that way- not everybody looks at the intros section, but may see the name of the thread and click on it due to them having some knowledge of the topic to share.

I hope you find what you're looking for. None of this is as terrifying as you'd expect. You just have to realize how invisible a single person can be. :)

That's very cool advice, @Multifaceted. The invisibility part is the thing that gets me. I just do not realize how un-observant most people are and feel like I'm being watched or judged. I agree on the browsing through the threads, I know that there are quite a few people here with experience finding good squats.

Oh, and, WELCOME!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Welcome to STP - and nice intro. :) But yeah - @Multifaceted said it well - we have a lot of valuable information here that has been uploaded and suggested by some wise members.

PriusFuck

Reaction score
Welcome aboard to the StP train and make sure to watch out for broken glass while wandering around here. It's rumored that Nicolas Cage lurks on this site with a secret identity. It's like trying to find that fabled unicorn hiding in the bushes crying and huffing on a spray paint can.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads