Hi... I'm Charles and I'm excited to find this site | Squat the Planet

Hi... I'm Charles and I'm excited to find this site

ImCharles

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
My name is Charles. I'm 62 and live in rural western Massachusetts near the Vermont border.
Since my birthday in November, I suddenly realized how close to retirement I am.
I've had a life long dream of traveling, with no set destination in mind and to visit & spend some time in a place just to feel and experience it.
Over the years I've had several opportunities to travel a month or more. I've been all over the US and I spent a month traveling around Japan in 1980. My biggest & longest journey was my trip to New Zealand and Australia in 1988 for 6 months.
While there I traveled by backpack and was totally self contained with tent, a stove, cookgear and some good boots. I got around by hitchhiking and when needed, a bus.
The only downside to these various journeys is that I had to return "home", I had responsibilities. I had stuff to do. I had to return.
But now as I contemplate retirement, I'm now thinking "what's next"?? Next is the fact that I can finally and fully achieve my life long dream, that is to travel for long periods of time without the need to ever return "home".

I'm starting to put into place what I'll need to do to make this happen. If I do it right and live frugally, I might just be able to keep on going for the rest of my life.
It will be 3 years before I'm fully ready to go, but in the mean time I'll be reading posts, asking questions and hopefully learn at lot more about traveling as modestly and frugally as possible. I look forward to hearing about your stories and what you've learned.
I can't wait to hit the road!!

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Welcome Aboard!

Don't let age get in the way, it's just a number!

I lived in Japan and Australia too! I've been all over the world.

Nice intro! Good luck and post your adventures here I would love to read them!

Reactions: ImCharles
D

Deleted member 24029

Where in VT are you? If you are anywhere near Brattleboro, I co-host a gay men social group every 2nd Saturday in Brattleboro. If you are interested, let me know.

I'm up here in the Old North End of Burlington...Have you ever considered staging a travelers-themed Queer meetup? That could get interesting, yes? How's everything in Bratt?

Bee

Reaction score
Hi Charles. November baby here, too. How's your plans coming along?
My good mom was born in Brookline, and my Aunt and her wife live in MA, too. Never been there myself, but one day...
Hope all is well for you, truly. Hi from S. California. :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads