hi i’m new and shit, an absolute novice

Fupe

Reaction score
just everything you guys talk about and that lifestyle has always intrigued me but i’m absoutly terrified about stepping out to do it myself because i don’t want to be left alone. what’s the chances someone would be willing to take some newbie under their wing, and what’s the chances id want to put my future in the hands of a stranger? i always wanted to live a simple life, away from material goods and the consumerist world, and even if that means living as the bottom of society then i want to do it. and i need help. advice?

LysergicAbreaction

Reaction score
Be very careful...

Some strangers will be your best friend until they get you on a freight train, then they could steal your gear and throw you off a moving freight-car to die on the tracks.

Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jo4Ofn9lmJY

I can't fully blame you though, when I was a kid I would read Kerouac and day dream about hoping freight trains or living alone on a mountain top, however, I ended up doing those things due to circumstances beyond my control, still, I understand the impulse.

I wish you the best of luck, but please BE CAREFUL. Be a good judge of character! And avoid scummy people. Stick with the positive and good hearted.

Reactions: Hans
D

Deleted member 14481

Welcome to StP!

Hopping trains is very dangerous. Living is dangerous, don't get me wrong, but if you have odd job, fling, or busking skills - get on a bus. Bike tour. Get a van, RV, bus. Whatever - however you wanna get around! Have a way to make money, and get familiar with local laws where you are with what you're doing.

And, get use to being by yourself. Don't get a road dawg because you think you need one. Get one because you want one. Making decisions out of desperation is only a bad idea. And, if it means that much to you get an actual dog, or a rat, or some other worthy companion.

Last edited:
D

deleted17310

idk best thing i ever did was take off solo. i read the forums on here, asked questions, admitted i was brand new, accepted criticism, sought advice, and most important i never gave up. i started 2 years ago and have had some crazy adventures and a few dangerous close calls. now im doing shit i never thought i could and am making travel fantasies into realities and if i can do it anyone can cuz im a bona-fide fuck up and im not ashamed to say it. the hardest part was taking the first step and leaving all that was known to me behind. the rest just flowed, even when things get hard they tend to turn out into the best thing that could happen to you. so come on out and show'em all what you're made of. good luck

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Be very careful...

Some strangers will be your best friend until they get you on a freight train, then they could steal your gear and throw you off a moving freight-car to die on the tracks.

Link:
Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jo4Ofn9lmJY

I can't fully blame you though, when I was a kid I would read Kerouac and day dream about hoping freight trains or living alone on a mountain top, however, I ended up doing those things due to circumstances beyond my control, still, I understand the impulse.

I wish you the best of luck, but please BE CAREFUL. Be a good judge of character! And avoid scummy people. Stick with the positive and good hearted.

I'm not sure that that is the correct meaning of that song.

I always thought "Goodbye Lulu" was about that kid Lulu being a total tool and so they ditch him on the road. Not preying on some willing to learn Newb....

So, for the OP, hopefully you are over 18. Is so, read the sticky threads on all of the forums and do your research. You will see that this lifestyle Is I t quite as scary as most view it....IF you know your shit beforehand.

LysergicAbreaction

Reaction score
Looking back, I probably should not have posted that song as it could have been interpreted as being rude.

Honestly, I was not trying to discourage anybody. My main point was to remind this individual to be very careful, to be a good judge of character, and to stick with positive and good-hearted people.

Hmm... I guess you could interpret that song as you did, however, I have always interpreted that song as a classic oogle cautionary tale. Also, I always assumed that "lulu" was a girl named Lucy.

Reactions: Coywolf

Claude

Reaction score
Well, the first time I hitched or rode freight I had a companion, later did things on my own. Both have an advantage. With someone you can have a two way conversation, but maybe they snore like a hippo! Alone, there is peace but maybe it is too quiet. Whatever you decide be smart and go with your gut. Never do anything that it just feels wrong. Good luck!

LysergicAbreaction

Reaction score
I have always sort of had a crush on Whitney Flynn from days N daze...

Any way, I agree with Claude, there are advantages and disadvantages to either arrangement, and I also agree that it's best to always trust your instincts.

Fupe

Reaction score
hey guys! thank you for all the responses i didn’t think anyone would. but to answer one question: yes, i’m 19. totally legal. and thank you for all the advice and shit. i just have some fucked up anxiety and shit so taking off all alone has always scared the balls out of me. i ain’t never been far from home by myself except when i went to Maryland, but then i had a comfy hotel room. i don’t even need to explain to you folks the feeling of just being trapped in the bourgeoise bullshit materialist world. so i’m pretty much between a rock and a hard place. i’m scared to leave and i’m horrified to stay.

LysergicAbreaction

Reaction score
I would give it some serious thought.

Maybe get a pack and blanket and camp out a few nights in your neighborhood or back yard just to see if it's even something you can tolerate, most find fairly quickly that it's not for them.

There are ways to live the life without jumping right into the aspects of it which have a tendency to eat people alive. For example, I am not formally employed, but I have a decent amount of money saved away, I have a fairly nice house, and I have accumulated a good deal of material possessions, but it has not turned me into a money driven materialist, and honestly, avoidance of these perceived Bourgeois trappings that seem to be bother you is more of a psychological issue than it is a physical one.

When I was around your age, perhaps a few years younger, I played in a touring band, eventually I lost control, was partying really hard, and got into some legal trouble for trashing a fast food restaurant, I got put on probation. After 8 months they let me go, and I just took to the street, I was only 16 but I had friends from coast to coast from playing in the band. I had already been sleeping outside a good deal since I was a kid, drunken abusive parent would kick me out, then i was living with punk rockers, so squatting and traveling came naturally. I guess I have always had a high affinity for owning very little, moving frequently, and never settling. ...I swear if I stay in the same place to long I loose my fucking mind. Plus, I green up reading Kerouac and the beat writers, and was raised around "hippies", so it was easy to romanticize and rationalize what I was doing...

Now due to a medical issue I'm stuck.

Honestly, the majority of your trappings are in your mind, seek mental freedom and physical freedom seems far less relevant.

Have you thought about going backpacking through europe, or taking a cross country trip in your car? Something like that, where you can have your adventure then return?

When I was your age I wouldn't listen to anybody, and I can somewhat understand your desire to get rid of everything you own and hit the road, but for the love of God be careful!

...even when you leave with a road-dog there are going to be long stretches of time when that person is separated from you, you need to know how to take care of yourself, trust me, you can't be dependant on others in that situation, it's a recipe for disaster.

...any way, be careful, be smart, don't trust anyone, specially those who are to eager to be your friend. Be a good judge of character, and use your head.

Reactions: ScumRag

asleepatthewheel

Reaction score
Okay though I say go for it 100% but read up and do it safely. Once you start letting people know you have an interest (like you're doing here) you'll find people who can show you the way. Maybe don't start by riding trains (I recommend going off the first time with someone you trust who knows what they're doing and can show you how to do it as safely as possible) but read up on camping, hitching, bike touring, w/e catches your eye.

Also remember you can try this out and then go back to something else, you can travel fulltime, or part time or however the fuck you want! figure out what works for you.

Like everyone else is saying though this lifestyle isn't free of consequence so watch out for that. Rose colored glasses won't get you anywhere but don't let that stop you from doing what you want

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
@Fupe like others have said, it's probably best to start out hitchhiking rather than train hopping and moving into the trains at some point down the line when you're with someone that knows what they are doing; and trust us, it's not you, we tell everyone this same advice, it's just the safest way to start out.

if you're dealing with a lot of anxiety you might want to consider other options such as RV or van dwelling since that does offer a bit more security and you can take along things that won't fit in your pack. if you want to chat live with some folks you can hit up our discord server (chat link in main menu) and talk to some of us there.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads