Hi friends!

glowbug

Reaction score
I'm quitting my job and I'll be hitching west towards California in a few weeks. I'm doing this for a lot of reasons but mostly for the freedom. I'm going solo but I'd much rather travel with someone so I'm hoping to find a travel buddy here (or at least people to meet up with) and lots of helpful advice!

I'm hoping that joining communities like this will help me along the way, as I have a lot to learn. Can't wait to get to know everyone and read your stories :)

A

Adnil

Welcome to STP, it's always great to see a new female joining our community. Be sure to use the search engine and read the resources before asking specific questions. We encourage you to soak up what this site has to offer, so make yourself at home !

Leocalifornya

Reaction score
Welcome Glowbug!

Please be careful. I don't usually start by telling someone this, but, and please don't take this the wrong way, you seem a bit naive. That combined with the fact you are obviously attractive, does not bode too well for you in the long run. There are, unfortunately, a lot of creeps in the world. And even more unfortunately, those of us on the road are a target due to our apparent lack of resources and support.

I am in NO WAY telling you to stay home or forget your ideas of travel. I think this is the best life. It is full of adventure and excitement, good times and awesome people. So I totally understand the appeal for you. Just please be extra careful. You can have the time of your life out on the road, or you can encounter the most difficult and terrible experiences you have ever faced. Chances are it will be a it of both.

Be mindful, do your research, BE CAREFUL, make excellent choices, and pick your friends wisely. There are numerous people on this site who will be happy to help you out in just about any way. So just ask :)

Be safe Glowbug, and have a blast!!

glowbug

Reaction score
Welcome Glowbug!

Please be careful. I don't usually start by telling someone this, but, and please don't take this the wrong way, you seem a bit naive. That combined with the fact you are obviously attractive, does not bode too well for you in the long run. There are, unfortunately, a lot of creeps in the world. And even more unfortunately, those of us on the road are a target due to our apparent lack of resources and support.

I am in NO WAY telling you to stay home or forget your ideas of travel. I think this is the best life. It is full of adventure and excitement, good times and awesome people. So I totally understand the appeal for you. Just please be extra careful. You can have the time of your life out on the road, or you can encounter the most difficult and terrible experiences you have ever faced. Chances are it will be a it of both.

Be mindful, do your research, BE CAREFUL, make excellent choices, and pick your friends wisely. There are numerous people on this site who will be happy to help you out in just about any way. So just ask :)

Be safe Glowbug, and have a blast!!

I had originally started a thread in the vagabond subreddit and the response I received was overwhelming. Many people warned me about the dangers of traveling alone as a young female, and the challenges I would face. Many told me it would not be a good idea, they implied that I shouldn't do it at all. Then there were people who encouraged me to follow my dreams anyway and they sent me here, to s.t.p. Thank you for the positive advice but I really don't want to hear about how dangerous it is for me or how hard it will be, especially that it "does not bode too well for me in the long run" I really want to do this.

Leocalifornya

Reaction score
Right on sis, like I said I don't want to discourage you from doing this, I just ask that you be exceptionally cautious, that's all. I would never tell you, or anyone, what they should and should not do, I just worry for others :)

I know that you will have a blast! The fact that you want to do this will strongly affect how you perceive the adventure. Undoubtedly you will face obstacles and hardship if you stay on the road for any length of time. Almost everyone on this site will attest to that fact. That you are an attractive young lady simply means you would be wise to be exceptionally cautious. So long as you stay diligent and make good choices I think you will be okay. And you will have a wonderful adventure. Don't let the nay-sayers get under you skin :)

glowbug

Reaction score
Right on sis, like I said I don't want to discourage you from doing this, I just ask that you be exceptionally cautious, that's all. I would never tell you, or anyone, what they should and should not do, I just worry for others :)

I know that you will have a blast! The fact that you want to do this will strongly affect how you perceive the adventure. Undoubtedly you will face obstacles and hardship if you stay on the road for any length of time. Almost everyone on this site will attest to that fact. That you are an attractive young lady simply means you would be wise to be exceptionally cautious. So long as you stay diligent and make good choices I think you will be okay. And you will have a wonderful adventure. Don't let the nay-sayers get under you skin :)

I understand, thanks :)

To be honest, you're going to get picked up much faster than any guy:)

Ya think so? :) lol I just hope I attract good-natured people

glowbug

Reaction score
Rule #1 you don't have to except every ride. Unless you're into danger if it looks creepy say no thanks my boy friend is coming I just did this to piss him off. He said he's on his way. An walk away waving like you see him.

That's a good idea. I'm a little worried because I'm not entirely sure what to expect

Reactions: BadKidNick

BadKidNick

Reaction score
There are a lot of ways to get around, some safer than others. The South has hospitality, but a bigger population. Which to me is more danger. The North has a lot of rude people but, a low population. Less violence an less danger.knock and walks At 3a.m. looking for a shop. Depends on how you want to travel. I can help anyone who wants it.

• Useful
Reactions: TheWindAndRain
S

spectacular

hallo frand. hitching has a been a 98.999999% wonderful experience for me with the exception of a few creepos and jerks. intention is everything, desperation can be felt, life on the road is hard as hell and will sufficiently ugly you up but nothing will stop jerks from trying to take advantage so if you're mean i can only suggest you not feel one iota sorry for anyone on the recieving end. that has been my downfall, anyway (feeling sorry for people who want to fuck me over). gooooood luck!

Last edited:
S

spectacular

Rule #1 you don't have to except every ride. Unless you're into danger if it looks creepy say no thanks my boy friend is coming I just did this to piss him off. He said he's on his way. An walk away waving like you see him.

hey except for the kind of creep that will WAIT TO SEE IF SHE REALLY HAS A BOYFRIEND and DON'T LIKE BEING LIED TO. one has to find their own method of tell-offness to creep drivers. mine in particular is a firm no. it wastes nobody's time.

salxtina

Reaction score
Women know what women have to deal with in the world.
Women don't need men to tell them what women have to deal with in the world.

If people were concerned for our safety, they would warn us against such dangerous activities as Heterosexuality and Working For Male Bosses. But no one ever tells us to "stay safe" by practicing lesbianism and working for women's cooperatives.

GLOWBUG! WELCOME!
I hitchhiked across the country last year, it was great! Have fun!!

Last edited:
A

Adnil

HaHa, you're not the first pretty girl or the youngest to hit the road. Folks telling you to be extra cautious because of these facts are either kissing up or just new themselves. Everybody (male, female, "ugly"," pretty ", etc) gets sexually harassed and can step into a dangerous field out on the road- it's part of the lifestyle and frankly just part of life. You seem to have the right mind set to go out, but as the cliché advice goes - always trust your instincts, even if the individual or situation appears calm. Also @salxtina, there is nothing wrong with a man trying to give friendly advice on how to avoid terrible men. No he may not exactly know what we face as women, but he does relate to how majority of men think and would react. Besides, even lesbians &/women can be a threat to us travelers. Having a pussy does not automatically make them (us) a safe zone.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads