Hi Everyone! (1 Viewer)

kaptrein

Lurker
Hometown
Amsterdam
Hi everyone! I'm a 19 year old Photography student from the Netherlands. My life so far has been a bit boring and I want to explore new places and am looking for new adventures. I have a great interest in nature photography and last year I stumbled upon urbex photography. This was the start of something more adventurous in my life. Since my first few visits in Belgium, I'm constantly looking for new locations on the internet which I could visit.

I'm really into trains (we've got some beautiful passenger trains in the Netherlands, you should really look them up) and about a month ago I came across a Youtube video of some guys hopping on to a rolling freight train. I thought it was awesome and started looking for more video's. I saw a video of Brave Dave and yeah, I know he isn't very popular on this forum (I've read the "Brave Dave problem"-thread), but I enjoyed the video's and instanly I was like "I WANT TO DO THIS!!!!" (and yeah, maybe I'm just a overenthusiastic kid). Since I'm really into nature and photography, I would love to go freight hopping and just be outside in the fresh air, watching the nature fly by, photographing it and just experience something completely new.

Soooooooooo, I got really interested into freight hopping (specifically in Canada), read a bunch of stories about it on the internet and yeah, now I'm here on this forum. Maybe I'm too young and maybe it's too ambitious, but right now I want to do this within about 10 years. I'm curious what you guys think of it and if you got questions or comments, I would love to read them.

Thanks for reading my story :)

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

quad8

Nowhere bound...
Hometown
Brunswick, Georgia
Welcome aboard.

It's good to know you are interested in traveling by rail, but check and double-check some of the postings around here because there has been people paying the price of exposing themselves freight hopping at the expense of the internet lately. We already lost one of our own out of Baltimore while another one got banned from US/Canada due to an active warrant.

And for everything I covered here, I find it in your best interest to practice safety when it comes to handling freight cars around here and in your neighborhood - at least when they're not moving. If you plan to document your travels on photo/video, be sure to find an alternative site to post it on because YouTube is fully rigged right now.

OP
kaptrein

kaptrein

Lurker
Hometown
Amsterdam
Welcome aboard.

It's good to know you are interested in traveling by rail, but check and double-check some of the postings around here because there has been people paying the price of exposing themselves freight hopping at the expense of the internet lately. We already lost one of our own out of Baltimore while another one got banned from US/Canada due to an active warrant.

And for everything I covered here, I find it in your best interest to practice safety when it comes to handling freight cars around here and in your neighborhood - at least when they're not moving. If you plan to document your travels on photo/video, be sure to find an alternative site to post it on because YouTube is fully rigged right now.
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I know I've got to be careful about what to post on the internet, so I will certainly take a look at the possibilities. Otherwise, I'll document it just for myself or something. I definitely do not want to get banned from the US or Canada or something.

I wish I could practice here, but the railroad security here is over the top. Camera's everywhere, high fences and if anyone sees you, they'll stop all train traffic and the police starts searching. If I start hopping my first trains, I think it's the best to take someone with experience on freight hopping with me whenever I go. Thanks for your advice!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Hey Everyone my Name is Tom. Introductions 4
MxEx Couch Offered How’s everyone doing out there? I am heading to my place in macdowell county West Virginia Crust Surfing 1
citypopcafe Hello everyone! My name is Pat Introductions 2
Zeq Hello everyone, my name is Ezequiel Introductions 5
notrocketscience Hello everyone! Back to Square One Introductions 0
Amead95 Hello everyone! I figured I would introduce myself... SO HI Introductions 1
parTyguy36 Good morning everyone!! Introductions 1
Kyhillbilly Hi everyone...I'm new here... Introductions 0
hifii Complete newbie, hi everyone Introductions 9
Draggyn Introduction, hi everyone. Introductions 1
D Hi everyone I'm Stacy Introductions 9
Roadcat Hi to everyone! Newbie introductions Introductions 2
Zeddock Hello everyone! A poor attempt at an introduction. Introductions 6
D Hello everyone, my name is Paul Introductions 6
ValerieMinx Hello everyone, im Valerie. Introductions 7
MP20100427 Hello everyone, I'm the new kid on the "Block" Introductions 15
Micelli0011 Photos Hi Everyone!!! Don’t be a stranger and contact me! Introductions 6
Mcrza Hellooo everyone!! Newbie intro Introductions 5
Prophetess333 Hi Everyone New here so posting this. Introductions 8
victordestrider Hello everyone, old traveler house punk, tarot card reader, doing again at 42 Introductions 6
ANOK Hello everyone! Cool community here! I'm french but i'm right now in Brixton (London) someone in London here? Introductions 1
Sombra Hello everyone like the website so far Introductions 1
MeterOYE Hello everyone! Back on stp. Rubbertramping Introductions 0
Sumarea What’s happening everyone!? Introductions 5
RicochetFrame Hi everyone! I am the new guy lol looking forward to talking with everyone! Introductions 4
Chris420king12 Hey everyone new here and saying hi let me know what your up too Introductions 5
Lost in transit Hello everyone. I’m lost in transit............ Introductions 4
Lithium21 Greetings Everyone New fella here Introductions 3
Barbanegra Hello everyone Introductions 1
ApolloUniverse New to the site - Hello everyone! Introductions 2
D Hi, everyone! Introductions 3
Clem In all seriousness, what do you think the world would look like if tomorrow everyone decided to become a vagabond? General Banter 9
Queenp317 Hello Everyone! Introductions 7
thestudent Hi everyone! Introductions 4
CrotchInfection Nice to meet everyone Introductions 3
Dorkimus Prime Hello everyone Introductions 1
Goldenvoid Happy trails everyone!!. Introductions 7
Jarod Hi everyone Introductions 3
DavidTheExplorer Hey everyone Introductions 2
jaws Merry Crustmas everyone - It's that time of year again! Money, Work & Food 1
Hyena5 hi everyone! Introductions 3
FrndlyNbrhdGhst What up everyone Introductions 4
Clay Ladouceur Hello everyone, new to vancouver Introductions 1
goobglib hi everyone Introductions 0
Fdny6393 Hello everyone Introductions 0
S Hey everyone Introductions 5
ready2go How is everyone? Introductions 4
TAMOORE Hi Everyone! Introductions 5
Souza1969 Hello Everyone.... Introductions 9
Sabredufoil Hey everyone! Introductions 2