Hi Everyone, I'm Lone Moth | Squat the Planet

Hi Everyone, I'm Lone Moth

Lone Moth

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm Lone Moth. I first stumbled across this site a few years ago, lurked for a while, and I figured now was the time to finally register and join the community.

So why am I here? I want a fresh start in life. Due to financial issues, I've been living with relatives since graduating college, unfortunately said relatives are emotionally abusive and toxic to my life. My dad is a perpetually angry, Trump loving, spiteful person and my aunt is a religious zealot. I can't stand being around these 2 individuals anymore, and the small town I live in is a miserable place to live, so I've decided I'm finally ready to leave it all behind and travel the world.

I'm not quite ready to hit the road just yet. I want to read up some more on tips and advice for how to survive on the open road. I've been busy reading the various topics here on the forums, got plenty of questions to ask, overall I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I make such a huge change to my life. Looking forward to learning more and hopefully living a better lifestyle.

Bibs

Reaction score
Welcome to stp moth, we're glad to have you. I'm sorry to here about your situation it sounds like you've had a pretty shitty time, but I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for out on the road just get prepped and pick a direction. If you're ever out in the pnw and need help don't ever hesitate to shoot me a dm and I'll do what I can. Also the stp discord channel is very active and I'm sure there's plenty of folks there who'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Be safe and have fun!
With gratitude, -Ian

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I want to read up some more on tips and advice for how to survive on the open road. I've been busy reading the various topics here on the forums, got plenty of questions to ask, overall I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I make such a huge change to my life. Looking forward to learning more and hopefully living a better lifestyle.
Sounds like you got a good head on you, it's good to research ahead of time. Shameless self-plug, but I have a book that encompasses a lot of the info here, you might have seen the little ad banners for it. If you can't afford it send me a PM and I'll send you an ebook version.

Welcome to StP and I hope we can help you realize your dreams :)

Lone Moth

Reaction score
Hey everybody, sorry for taking so long to respond, I've been busy dealing with day-to-day stuff.

Welcome to stp moth, we're glad to have you. I'm sorry to here about your situation it sounds like you've had a pretty shitty time, but I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for out on the road just get prepped and pick a direction. If you're ever out in the pnw and need help don't ever hesitate to shoot me a dm and I'll do what I can. Also the stp discord channel is very active and I'm sure there's plenty of folks there who'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Be safe and have fun!
With gratitude, -Ian

Thanks for the offer and the info, IanIam. I'm still making preparations before I hit the road, might not be till late September/early October before I start my journey. Still got some more reading to do on surviving on the open road, a few supplies to get, and more importantly, I need to figure out where I want to go. Right now I'm torn between wanting to head up north towards Maine, or out west towards Slab City. I've read good things about the slabs here on the forums and from youtube videos.

I also need to figure out a way to earn cash while on the road. I don't won't to head out broke, and I want to be able pay way own way. Might just end up busking, since I have some instruments I can bring with me.

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Bibs

Lone Moth

Reaction score
Sounds like you got a good head on you, it's good to research ahead of time. Shameless self-plug, but I have a book that encompasses a lot of the info here, you might have seen the little ad banners for it. If you can't afford it send me a PM and I'll send you an ebook version.

Welcome to StP and I hope we can help you realize your dreams :)

Thanks Matt. Yeah, as excited as I am about the prospect of getting a fresh start in life, this is a pretty big move to make, so I want to make sure I'm as informed as I can be. Sometimes I overthink things too much, but I'd rather do that than rush into something completely unprepared. Hopefully I'll be ready to head out on the open road in a few weeks.

Bibs

Reaction score
Hey everybody, sorry for taking so long to respond, I've been busy dealing with day-to-day stuff.

Thanks for the offer and the info, IanIam. I'm still making preparations before I hit the road, might not be till late September/early October before I start my journey. Still got some more reading to do on surviving on the open road, a few supplies to get, and more importantly, I need to figure out where I want to go. Right now I'm torn between wanting to head up north towards Maine, or out west towards Slab City. I've read good things about the slabs here on the forums and from youtube videos.

I also need to figure out a way to earn cash while on the road. I don't won't to head out broke, and I want to be able pay way own way. Might just end up busking, since I have some instruments I can bring with me.
That's all well and good take your time and prepare, busking is a good option for sure, I make most of my money busking or doing seasonal work and day labor. You may consider wire wrapping jewelry as well, I suggest it to everyone because it's so easy and pretty affordable even on a shoestring budget and once you have an eye for it you can find wrapping material just laying around all over the place. Good luck to ya in whatever you plan on doing, be safe and have fun!
With gratitude, -Ian

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads