Heya!

LittleDoe

Reaction score
I'm never good at these! Here's hoping I make a good impression...

Alright, where to start? So, some background... well, I came across this site while reading catching out tales, and I took a quick look around and fell in love. I mean, this looks like a great group of people! Independent, freedom-seeking, fuck-the-mainstream type folks!
Ever since I was a kid (littl'un!!) I've wanted to ride freights across the country and become a hobo like my grandpa used to be. I don't know much about his past... we don't keep in touch that much anymore. He's always called me Little Doe, because I would always lie (sometimes nap!) in tall grass and clover patches as a kid like a baby deer hiding. Though only he and my dad calls me that, I relate to that moniker more than my birth name.

I want to go to college and be educated (I know it'll come in handy in the future!), but after that, I'm hitting the road.

I know it aint easy for females to be hobos, hell the hobo life isn't "easy" at all. But easy isn't what this lil girl is aiming for! I'm aiming for freedom. I don't want to grow up going to the same job every day, sitting in front of a computer in an office getting blind, slow and fat. I want to work with my hands and stay on my feet, like people were meant to!
I'll be prepared when the time comes. I've got about five or six years to prepare anyway! I aint in a rush. I may be eager, but I'm not an impulsive fool.

Sure, when I'm old, I'll want to settle down and work on my career (I want to be an interpreter for the deaf someday), but I won't settle or die before I've seen everything out there. I'm looking forward to it, even the bad stuff... going to sleep hungry as hell, freezing in the dead of night! There can't be light without dark.

Anywhoozle, that's me! I love to read and hang around in the woods, I like to catch bugs and pal around with dogs, I believe nature and all life that comes from it is sacred, I care a lot about my education, I’m a bit strange, I’m strong, I'm not like other young ladies, and I don’t want to be a goddamned princess. Bye-a!

LittleDoe

Reaction score
True, but I want to have a real good profession when I'm old. Can't learn proper American Sign Language/Am.Sign Grammar by lookin' at clouds and playin fetch with dogs. (Though that would be great!)
Life itself certainly provides more introspective wisdom and street smarts than actual education, and let's face it, people are going to throw your jop app. out the window if you write "Life" under Education. ;) Education is just very important to me. You can be a free spirit and still have a good deal of "book learnin" under your sleeve. Nothin' wrong with that at all. :)

Reactions: Cristian

Alaska

Reaction score
Of course, but self-education is always an option. Books are everywhere, the internet is everywhere, people are everywhere. Knowledge (and the skills to apply it) *should* be important to you, it should be important to everyone.

All I'm saying is that if you want an education, you can do it yourself. If you want a career, you can try your luck in college :p

absurdtoast

Reaction score
Nice intro! Man...I love all these intros...just for the mere fact that its constantly reaffirming other humans believe in similar things. I find myself needing that more often...there are totally cool people out there...and its all about finding them!
Interpreter seems pretty awesome and if you are passionate about it....even better! Its a false dichotomy that on one side there is book smarts and the other street smarts.....they are constantly intertwined. To be a well rounded individual I think both are needed and both come in handy in all sorts of real life situations. The outlook...there is no rush...you can have your adventures and anytime you wanna say "enough" you can change, get a career, give it up, go back to something.... :rolleyes: <that face is more annoying than the tongue one :eek: soapbox123

• Haha
Reactions: Mankini

absurdtoast

Reaction score
I just graduated from college with some pretty useless degrees, got myself some nice debt that I'll have to pay back and yet I still can't say college is a lie. What is a lie, is expecting that a college degree equals a career and good paying job as of course that is far from the truth. I don't think that this somehow means college is useless or whatever. I got to study something I'm passionate about and got to be around people who were also passionate about some of the same things. Making connections, sharing ideas, meeting people...you don't need college to do all that, but that's something college can provide. I'm all for self-education too!

You could learn everything FO FREE with a library card (or internet connection now) and some motivation. I think that's very different from the actual college experience..either way do your own thing, one isn't better than the other. If ya want a legit career as an interpreter some day, your best bet is for some schooling. Doesn't make you any less of a "hobo" or whatever some elitist asshole says. Basically the pearl of wisdom may be...there is no right way to live.

But thus spoke Stimp muffin....maybe it is all a lie? a waste of money? debts? enter into the rat race of the corporate world? For him maybe college truly is a lie....doesn't have much barring on others experiences...and you don't ever have to enter into the rat race of having a career just because you went to college. Hell...maybe you decide to go 20 years down the road...or never or when you are 60...follow your passions.

Reactions: LittleDoe

Stimp muffin

Reaction score
To me it made more sense to travel at the youngest, I can sit around and go to school when I am 40 if I want, by then I wont wanna travel let alone get out of my house. I think the younger you are, the more pleasurable the journey is. That's just how I feel though, some of us like olives, some of us don't.

absurdtoast

Reaction score
for the record I am not an olive man...and damn....Im 23...haven't traveled much and just setting out now...I'm still hoping my glory years are ahead of me! I've seen some older travelers on this site givin me hope that I didn't miss my chance!

Stimp muffin

Reaction score
I like Olives, esp green ones. : ) I turn 22 in a few days and I am about to step out on my first multistate trip, i have been traveling just in my tri state area for the past few years. as Borat would say, "I am excite"

• Haha

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads