Heya from Humboldt | Squat the Planet

Heya from Humboldt

baracudaboy

Reaction score
Why hello there, I am Madeline, but you can either call me baracudaboy or Felicia depending on how you have met me if you want.

I am living in Humboldt at the moment but have made some important plans in the past week to move to san hose by the end of the summer with Ivy League since i have determined growing up here, that humboldt is a fine and friendly place for people wanting to visit or move here from somewhere else, but growing up here is a little boring.

I am a trad skinhead who's really into punk shows and beers with my buddies, but I feel I can always lend a hand to a friend in need who either needs a place to stay or a meal to eat.
Thats sort of why I am here, to help out friends I meet and find ways to hitchhike where I need to go.

So, nice to meet you all.
:club:

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I had to look that up in wikipedia- it says: Traditional skinheads, also known as trads or Trojan skinheads, identify with the original 1960s skinhead subculture in terms of music, style, culture, and working class pride.

"Trojan"? Well, you learn something new everyday... Anyway, welcome to the site!

stove

Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm old and outdated in my terminology but when I see the words "trad skinhead" I think of something that I wouldn't want to meet when traveling.

Hah, I saw that and I thought...Wtf do cams, nuts, and skinheads have in common?

...I climb too much...

stove

Reaction score
oh, and I am not quite sure what "traditional" means in terms of skins, but I knew a few when I was growing up in Boston, and they were generally pretty cool, if a lil dirty (who wasn't?) at times. I've actually gotten a decent amount of help from the skins I knew versus a lot of the Neos in the area (I'm Jewish) when the Neos would start shit at shows etc. Just putting my change out there.

piratehobo

Reaction score
yea, 4 those who don't know, a trad is not a racist skinhead... it's just a traditional, as someone mentioned, it's about working class pride... IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACISM OR NAZI SKINHEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome, Baracuda... I'm really into skinhead fashion, I just can't afford the ben sherman and fed perry shirts i like :( and it's hard for me to find any that are actually forgirls...'cuz the guy's shirts are not form fitting enough, but i fucking LOVE the style...Anyway, I look forward to talking with you!!

Reactions: Mankini

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yeah, im familiar with the trad skinheads... they're *usually* not racist, so it doesn't bother me that you're here or stated that in your introduction. although im am very much NOT a fan of skinhead culture, this person isn't breaking the rules in any way, so... welcome to the board...

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
ArrowInOre said:
For those old folks in here, I suggest you remember the vespa riding mods ...into ska and the such...But yes, I think that referring to ones self as 'skinhead', regardless of actual political preferences, is asking for trouble...This another grand case of presuming we have a total clue...lol...anyhow, lets hope we didn't scare her off, but hopefully she realizes how that came off at first and maybe can find a new way to refer to her self that will be less likely to get her negative reactions...( uh, I just had a Darth Ruha flash back, chills...)

I vaguely remember vespa riders, just never knew that they identified themselves as skinheads. Learn something new every day I guess. But yeah, anyone that's not a racist skinhead probably ought to come up with something else to call themselves.

Reaction score
skinheads were origionaly working class from england. the reason traditional is put in front is because of the new nazi skinhead. it is used to classify them so they wont be confussed with racist's. except for a few jerks this is a very friendly scene who would definatley lend a hand to a friend in need.
good luck little skin bird

baracudaboy

Reaction score
Well well, I leave, forget I posted an intro and come back to a whole lot of hullabaloo.
It seems no one took heed to look up the term trad or ask an educated friend or just in general ASK ME.
I mean, did any one even look at my friend page, one of my good friends who was the first to add me on her is black, her name is Ducky and she fully understands and accepts that not all skinheads are racist pricks. But I guess uneducated people ten to jump to conclusions so I should just go all friendly like with the people who were smart enough to reply in a friendly manner.

oh, and I am not quite sure what "traditional" means in terms of skins, but I knew a few when I was growing up in Boston, and they were generally pretty cool, if a lil dirty (who wasn't?) at times. I've actually gotten a decent amount of help from the skins I knew versus a lot of the Neos in the area (I'm Jewish) when the Neos would start shit at shows etc. Just putting my change out there.
Yeah, boneheads (neos) are something i try not to mess with.
They are scary and have a head for things i could never put up with, all of that hate is tiring! No racism, no politics, no reason to hate!

yea, 4 those who don't know, a trad is not a racist skinhead... it's just a traditional, as someone mentioned, it's about working class pride... IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACISM OR NAZI SKINHEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome, Baracuda... I'm really into skinhead fashion, I just can't afford the ben sherman and fed perry shirts i like :( and it's hard for me to find any that are actually forgirls...'cuz the guy's shirts are not form fitting enough, but i fucking LOVE the style...Anyway, I look forward to talking with you!!
Yeah, and we are not political either. Too much work!

ArrowInOre said:
For those old folks in here, I suggest you remember the vespa riding mods ...into ska and the such...But yes, I think that referring to ones self as 'skinhead', regardless of actual political preferences, is asking for trouble...This another grand case of presuming we have a total clue...lol...anyhow, lets hope we didn't scare her off, but hopefully she realizes how that came off at first and maybe can find a new way to refer to her self that will be less likely to get her negative reactions...( uh, I just had a Darth Ruha flash back, chills...)
I am proud to call myself a skinhead, I am proud to have that name for myself, but I will not waste any time to call people out who generalize.
Neo nazis are a thing of the past and its important to me to take back a word that has history and culture in it that includes reggae and black subculture of the early skinhead era, rather then the stupid racist shit that blankets us to this day.
There is a difference between white supremacists and skinheads.

Skinheads have pride, white supremacists are just a bunch of pussy fucks who think that mixing black and white is some carnal sin.

yeah, im familiar with the trad skinheads... they're *usually* not racist, so it doesn't bother me that you're here or stated that in your introduction. although im am very much NOT a fan of skinhead culture, this person isn't breaking the rules in any way, so... welcome to the board...
Thanks for noticing that by stating my *non racist* subculture that I am not breaking any rules. And now that I've taken my sweet ole' time to explain it to you all, you can all calm the hell down.

Anyway, in ending of the hate, you all can ask ducky if she thinks i'm a racist shit or a good person.
I don't think she'll mind telling you how good of friends we became in the short month she was in humboldt.

condemnedtodrift

Reaction score
I've always thought that the individual is often better than the institutions they subscribe to. Maybe yr a good kid. Maybe some of yr friends are too. Skinheadism in general seems to be a boring, machismo, violent boys club, though. Then again, a lot of punk & travelin' (broke 'n' hungry) kid circles are too, but I've consistantly run into problems with skins from the east to west coast. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything if a few of 'the good ones' get black listed. Just my opinion. Welcome to the site. I'm not @ war with you; I just don't wanna be yr friend.

oh, and that whole "working class pride" thing? Never got it.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Some things are very hard to reclaim and if your going to go around calling people out that don't know every sub subculture and calling them uneducated your going to be wasting lots of energy and alienating a lot of folks. Yes skinheads were not originally racist but they also weren't something that I'd be wanting to revive/reclaim either, they were an offshoot of mods who were basically the old British version of what are currently called hipsters.

Reactions: Mankini

jove

Reaction score
Website
www.hollistondesign.com
I don't see any problem with you trying to bring back the term. It's not my thing, but you're not promoting any racism or hate, so I don't have a problem with it at all.
Welcome to the forums! I'm new to this too, hope your other posts don't have this same mess of misunderstandings, have fun! See ya around!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads