Hey you guuuuuys!!

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
What's up everybody!

My name is Matthew, I live in Buffalo, NY and work with FoodNotBombs as well as an off-shoot project called WasteNotWantNot whose goal is to establish a pay-as-you-feel cafe that will serve all food that otherwise would have gone to waste. facebook.com/wnwnbuffalo

I am very interesting in alternatives to capitalism, gift economy and regenerative food systems. Our vision in Buffalo is to build a urban homestead/eco-village that could serve as a model for a regenerative, closed-loop way of life that would sustain ourselves and serve the greater community.

I am currently traveling and visiting different people, projects, collectives and communities that are doing similar work or in the same spirit. Please contact me if you know of any people, projects, or communities that I should meet and/or visit in my travels. I hope to build a network across the country of people that are working towards similar goals so we can share our experiences, skills, and resources.

I have myself, my pack and my folding bike with me. I have been hitchhiking, catching rides with friends and family, biking and taking some trains and busses. I've been on the road a month now and I'm currently near Floyd in SW Virginia. I will head towards Asheville later this week and, from there on the 11th or 12th of May, hope to make it to Colorado pretty quickly.

Thanks to everyone involved in this website for it's great resources. Happy trails to you all!

A

A New Name

I just want to be the first to welcome you and take the opportunity to thank you for what you're doing. We need more future builders. So yeah, thank you, and welcome Matthew.

sd40chef

Reaction score
Really positive intentions man! Lots of gratitude. I wish you all the best in your endeavours. I've been away from north america for some time but I have confidence that you will find the right people and connections that will help you move further with your awesome plans. The freegans in NYC meet up and dumpster dive a few times a month, I went with them when I was there, met some older women that live off dumpstered food, and only bought milk. I went to a movie screening of a documentary about canning culture in NYC, speaking with the folks who rely on recycling for their income, and at that event they had a lot of food/drinks, all of which was salvaged from trash. Here is their upcoming event calendar... https://freegan.info/what-is-a-freegan/freegan-events-in-new-york/ . Really sweet, good hearted folk. Most of my travels in north america have been in Canada and therefore I can't offer much help for the USA in terms of people/projects/communities. All the best!!

Reactions: beersalt

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hey welcome to STP and what you people are doing is soooo welcome! I may PM you with some information later as I gather it for places to visit etc.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
wasn't there some kind of mansion being squatted in buffalo a while back?

T

tennesseejed

Hey man! Welcome! Sounds like you have some awesome ideas. I'm just south of Rochester ny, just got back up here to visit friends and family. I didn't even know there were things like that cafe happening in buffalo. Would love to check it out sometime and pick your brain. Upstate ny needs more things like this. Thanks!

Much love

-TJ

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
Welcome! Sounds like some cool shit that's heppenin'. I actually may be heading east from Washington soon, probably headed to NY. I'd love to meet up and discuss/dive n shit. I've never been there, or anywhere close. So I'd love to try and get involved!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads