Hey What's goin on?

Joseph Kustek

Reaction score
Hey all, my name is Joseph, new to the site hence why i'm in the introduction part of the forums. but i am new to this type of life style!! i will be departing from my home town of fort myers, florida. any tips or gear suggestions welcome!

T

thelongstrangetripper

Hey joseph, I'm also new to this lifestyle. I've been on the road with my girlfriend for a little over 2 months now. From MN, we're currently in AZ on our way to san Diego.

One thing I'd suggest as far as direction/location to travel goes, its about to be winter. Stay along the southern states. I'm from MN and northern AZ nights are too cold for me to sleep in without the right gear... Invest in a good sleeping bag. Its better to be sleeping hot than sleeping cold.
One problem that I'm running into right now is pack size. Not sure how much it weighs, but I carry a medium sized backpack and large US army duffel bag. Too much man. Its decent for traveling urban areas by car, bus and foot, but rural areas are too spread out for heavy loads. There are actually quite a few things that go with me that I'm just waiting to unload. You'll be surprised at how much you'll find that you actually end up not needing.

My advice is still pretty limited, but hope I can help at all. ✌

Joseph Kustek

Reaction score
Oh, awesome man thanks for the tips! yeah i am getting the first timers curse of over packing i guess, i am more concerned about volume of food/water. best types of food for weight-calories. also wondering for any smokers, best type of tobacco for this type of lifestyle?

T

thelongstrangetripper

I try to keep about half a gallon of water on me, but like I said, I've been forced to stay more to urban areas where I can usually find a water source within a half mile. Half a gallon is probably overkill for me, but I expect I'm gonna need more than that when I drop off some of my stuff and start spending more and more time in rural places. I'm finding carbs and protein are best for the wieght. Peanut butter, graham crackers, granola bars. Price is a huge factor for me. Lots of living off of dollar menu items at fast food, and even more ramen noodles. I do smoke. If I come across some money and can afford name brand cigarettes at all, I usually stick to cheap ones. L&M's. Slowly, I'm learning to leave out camels, Marlboro, newports (all top priced smokes, etc...) altogether. I'm actually considering dropping filtered smokes altogether. Just roll em ya know. Wayyy cheaper

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads