Hey I'm the epitome of inexperienced,

paigedi

Reaction score
And I'm looking to start planning some travels, so it'd be sweeeet if I could get some advice or even people who would wanna join me, help me learn the ropes. :) it's a little scary leaving an apartment that mommy and daddy pay for and living nowhere on practically nothing, or at least I imagine.
I'm gonna do it regardless.

Reactions: man of the forest

paigedi

Reaction score
Thank you, I've been researching for weeks and it took me this long to find this site but it's a gold mine of info. It's the meeting people I'm worried about because I can't leave until I have a group.

D

Deleted member 20

Welcome to the site. What Jville? Fla or NC? Do your parents also live with you in this apt? Are you a college student? Is that why they pay your rent? Or are they filthy rich? Prob not since you work? What do you sell? Groups can be good for stuff like parties, orgys, conventions etc. I personally dont think traveling in groups is smart. Maybe 1 or 2 people at first since your a green young girl. Perhaps if your parents dont live in this apt you can open it up to STP travelers as a waystation. A place to cleanup, eat, go online, crash & regroup for another leg on their journey. It will be a good way to actually meet people & see how they act in a controlled environment that your safe in. Its right to help out travelers if you can. Kinda like a karma thing since you will also need help to learn everything that will keep you alive & safe on the road. You too may have to beg for stuff from strangers like rides, cash, info or food to survive & see how handouts/kickdowns are appreciated. Yeah so tell us more about yourself.

paigedi

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. What Jville? Fla or NC? Do your parents also live with you in this apt? Are you a college student? Is that why they pay your rent? Or are they filthy rich? Prob not since you work? What do you sell? Groups can be good for stuff like parties, orgys, conventions etc. I personally dont think traveling in groups is smart. Maybe 1 or 2 people at first since your a green young girl. Perhaps if your parents dont live in this apt you can open it up to STP travelers as a waystation. A place to cleanup, eat, go online, crash & regroup for another leg on their journey. It will be a good way to actually meet people & see how they act in a controlled environment that your safe in. Its right to help out travelers if you can. Kinda like a karma thing since you will also need help to learn everything that will keep you alive & safe on the road. You too may have to beg for stuff from strangers like rides, cash, info or food to survive & see how handouts/kickdowns are appreciated. Yeah so tell us more about yourself.
Florida jax, and it's me and my brother. We're in school so they pay for everything. I'm working to make it a little easier on them, and I work at a lingerie store. Since I am a little female I want at least one other person the first couple times so I don't either kill myself doing something I can't or get killed. I'd love to open my place up to travelers but my brother is reeeally opposed to that idea and he doesn't even really get why i wanna travel at all. And begging is alright with me because you gotta do what you gotta dooo.. i'm not proud ahahah.

daveycrockett

Reaction score
its really not a more dangerous time, granted there are more people http://www.worldwatch.org/node/552, im sure you will be fine its what you project that comes to you, so if you are scared angry or stupid, well then... im sure they told her the same thing when she did it, even though hitching was much more common at the time. in other countries people still do all the time and it is considered normal. Only in america. just watch out for this guy.

paigedi

Reaction score
its really not a more dangerous time, granted there are more people http://www.worldwatch.org/node/552, im sure you will be fine its what you project that comes to you, so if you are scared angry or stupid, well then... im sure they told her the same thing when she did it, even though hitching was much more common at the time. in other countries people still do all the time and it is considered normal. Only in america. just watch out for this guy.

Oh my god ahaha gotta watch out for those homosexuals.. Jesus christ. But yeah you made a good point. America is ass backwards.

Emm

Reaction score
i have hitched in groups, with one other person and by myself. groups are fun but slow going, another person is nice cuz you have some one to talk to and drink with, and by yourself you get faster rides. ive never had a problem hitching by myself being a female but i always let the driver know that picks me up i have a phone and already posted his info to my fb. pics and all. and that if they get frisky with me i have a knife they can see and more they cant. im always ked if im afraid t hitch by myself and even if you are you never say so. always say no. and remember its better to be droped off in bum fuck nowhere then get fucked in the bum. go down to st augestine, there are kids there now take a bus and just hang out for the day.

Dane

Reaction score
I wanna go anywhere and everywhere, but especially northwest like around Seattle. Never been. Thing is I wouldn't be able to set off until this semester is over.
Thats ok, Ive never really traveled myself either, so it will give me some time to get experience lol. I think Im going down to Alabama in the next couple of days and then California for a while. If at the end of the semester your still willing to go to Seattle or wherever let me know, sounds like a fun trip.

Synth

Reaction score
Welcome to StP. Lots of awesome people around here with more than enough info to ease you into the life. But that first step and actually getting out there will be your greatest teacher. If you're leaving in Summer then there will be tons of people out and about and once August comes a lot of them will probably head West. Just remember these words. Prepare to be dirty and doing a whole lot of standing around.

Reactions: Cyanide Avalanche

meathook

Reaction score
should be tons of kids in your area right now, ocala should have finished up or be close to it by now. although they may be closer to nola right now. my first piece of advice is to go meet some real travelers instead of mystery internet beings.
i'd suggest not travelling if you want to continue college. if you're dropping out or graduating go ahead after this semester but remember, it's always possible to get stuck very very far away from where you want to be when you're depending entirely on other people's charity and "this train appears to be going that direction", or to catch the travelling itch and not be able to stop. consider mommy and daddy's opinions on your new lifestyle choice and if they will continue to pay for your apartment once you're ready to settle down for a bit.
begging is not essential. learn a skill. i didn't play anything before i went on the road, now i play fiddle, guitar, mandolin, and various percussion instruments. being a cute girl with a cute dog and a decent voice, i can usually bag ~$70 in a couple hours busking the right spot.
lice, scabies, mrsa, staph, crackheads, homebums, alcoholics, junkies, cops, rednecks, preachers, lawyers, judges, snakes, rats, thieves, pimps, johns, oogles, hippies. you may not encounter all of these things, but you will encounter some and be prepared to deal with them accordingly. accordingly, by the way, does not mean calling the cops or going to the hospital, because they may not help you once they find out you're "homeless".
hitchhiking isn't scary, i hitchhike alone frequently. be confident and friendly, say no to rides if you are sketched out, carry a visible knife [i have a machete for "camping"]. however, i've only ever been in one sketchy situation while actually in someone's vehicle, and they were just on meth and driving too crazy. i asked to get out immediately, and he kindly obliged. people tend to be nicer than you think.

not everything you see on tumblr is as cool as a sepia filter makes it look.
as i observed when i really first started out [by myself, i might add- see, not scary!], a portion of travelers are drawn to the lifestyle because, like us, they are bored kids who don't really want to get a job and would like to have an "adventure". there are also some people who do this because they are totally batshit fucking crazy and it is their only choice left. after a period of time, many of the kids from the first group evolve into the second. it's not a pretty sight. don't become one of them.

[i think i just got trolled real hard]

Reactions: madcapcat

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
should be tons of kids in your area right now, ocala should have finished up or be close to it by now. although they may be closer to nola right now. my first piece of advice is to go meet some real travelers instead of mystery internet beings.
i'd suggest not travelling if you want to continue college. if you're dropping out or graduating go ahead after this semester but remember, it's always possible to get stuck very very far away from where you want to be when you're depending entirely on other people's charity and "this train appears to be going that direction", or to catch the travelling itch and not be able to stop. consider mommy and daddy's opinions on your new lifestyle choice and if they will continue to pay for your apartment once you're ready to settle down for a bit.
begging is not essential. learn a skill. i didn't play anything before i went on the road, now i play fiddle, guitar, mandolin, and various percussion instruments. being a cute girl with a cute dog and a decent voice, i can usually bag ~$70 in a couple hours busking the right spot.
lice, scabies, mrsa, staph, crackheads, homebums, alcoholics, junkies, cops, rednecks, preachers, lawyers, judges, snakes, rats, thieves, pimps, johns, oogles, hippies. you may not encounter all of these things, but you will encounter some and be prepared to deal with them accordingly. accordingly, by the way, does not mean calling the cops or going to the hospital, because they may not help you once they find out you're "homeless".
hitchhiking isn't scary, i hitchhike alone frequently. be confident and friendly, say no to rides if you are sketched out, carry a visible knife [i have a machete for "camping"]. however, i've only ever been in one sketchy situation while actually in someone's vehicle, and they were just on meth and driving too crazy. i asked to get out immediately, and he kindly obliged. people tend to be nicer than you think.

not everything you see on tumblr is as cool as a sepia filter makes it look.
as i observed when i really first started out [by myself, i might add- see, not scary!], a portion of travelers are drawn to the lifestyle because, like us, they are bored kids who don't really want to get a job and would like to have an "adventure". there are also some people who do this because they are totally batshit fucking crazy and it is their only choice left. after a period of time, many of the kids from the first group evolve into the second. it's not a pretty sight. don't become one of them.

[i think i just got trolled real hard]
And I just thought you were a woman who wanted to build bikes !

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
Id say that if you want to get out and aren't ready to hitch or ride uncomfortable, boring, dirty, dangerous trains. Try megabus. Its cheap and it'll get you out there. Pack a bag and go to a known place of interest for travelers. Can't go to savannah tho megabus doesn't go there. Try greyhound.

You seriously will never know til you get out there. It all seems cool online or when you happen to see some kids and drink with them and listen to their awesome stories. But there are a lot of shitty, boring, hot, cold, hungry times that go along with it.

Go hang out around the little truck stop off of 295(?) on Sportsmans Club Rd. in about a month once in a while and maybe explore the woods on both sides of the bridge. You might find old traveler artifacts and probably see some folks. I found a bunch of sweet pics of some ultra crusty kids I've never seen before, some chicks HPV or something like that negative test results. Which is awesome news. And an old fanny pack with lots of sweet patches on it just 2 weeks ago. Have a bag cause you might get lucky and go for a ride.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads