Hey, I'm new around here!

PolishCrust00

Reaction score
Hey!
My name is Jakub (It's polish for Jacob but you can just call me Hope because that's my nickname)
I'm from Poland, and I'm curious if there are any other Poles here too.
I'm 19, homeless atm (living at my ex's house LOL) and trying to get my own bed at local squat.
Nice to meet you all folks!

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You could be the person to expand StP to Warsaw! Good luck out there, if I find anyone else from Poland on here I'll point 'em in your direction. Welcome to StP.

• Love It
Reactions: PolishCrust00

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
hey hope! im curious to know what it's like traveling / being homeless out there? do you have any plans to head south where it might be warmer?

• Agree
Reactions: Coywolf

PolishCrust00

Reaction score
hey hope! im curious to know what it's like traveling / being homeless out there? do you have any plans to head south where it might be warmer?
To be honest I was homeless for a year now (Being kicked out of the home when I turned 18 LOL, long story) and it was pretty easy to take care of myself during spring,summer and most of the fall (It is not as cold in Poland as you would think we usually have 15*C during spring even 30*C during summer - it's 68Fahrenheit spring and 86 during summer) but winter is biggest problem. It's not as cold as a few years back (Global warming I think but I dunno) but the wind.. It makes things 10times worse. But if it comes to food it's pretty easy. At least in Warsaw/Cracov/Danzig, bigger cities. There are Food not Bombs communities which give warm food once every week/few times a week depending on community itself. I was living in old warehouses for a few months myself and worked as street musician (It's pretty good money in Poland, one day I earned 300zł in 3hours to make it into perspective 14zł is minimal hour wage and bread costs around 3zł to make it even better perspective) and then as... let's say "street performer". I was playing with fire, something like fire-show. My friend could not let me sleep in his house because he barely had enough place for himself but I could always wash myself or do laundry, from time to time he invited me for dinner so I was doing pretty good for myself. It is quite difficult to but/rent apartment in Poland because of the prices :/ When it started to get colder I asked my ex if I could live with her and she said yes so now I live with her until I finish school. And about going south - I was thinking about going either to Spain or USA because now Polish people don't need visa and I know English better than Spanish and I'm sure I could communicate with people. But first I need to finish school so I'll emigrate in 2021, maybe 2022.
If you have time and you are willing to answer my question - how is living in USA? I mean are there any "prejudice" against let's say "alternative people" (there is a lot of prejudice about this in Poland), and how does job situation look like etc?
Thanks in advance!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
To be honest I was homeless for a year now (Being kicked out of the home when I turned 18 LOL, long story) and it was pretty easy to take care of myself during spring,summer and most of the fall (It is not as cold in Poland as you would think we usually have 15*C during spring even 30*C during summer - it's 68Fahrenheit spring and 86 during summer) but winter is biggest problem. It's not as cold as a few years back (Global warming I think but I dunno) but the wind.. It makes things 10times worse. But if it comes to food it's pretty easy. At least in Warsaw/Cracov/Danzig, bigger cities. There are Food not Bombs communities which give warm food once every week/few times a week depending on community itself. I was living in old warehouses for a few months myself and worked as street musician (It's pretty good money in Poland, one day I earned 300zł in 3hours to make it into perspective 14zł is minimal hour wage and bread costs around 3zł to make it even better perspective) and then as... let's say "street performer". I was playing with fire, something like fire-show. My friend could not let me sleep in his house because he barely had enough place for himself but I could always wash myself or do laundry, from time to time he invited me for dinner so I was doing pretty good for myself. It is quite difficult to but/rent apartment in Poland because of the prices :/ When it started to get colder I asked my ex if I could live with her and she said yes so now I live with her until I finish school. And about going south - I was thinking about going either to Spain or USA because now Polish people don't need visa and I know English better than Spanish and I'm sure I could communicate with people. But first I need to finish school so I'll emigrate in 2021, maybe 2022.
If you have time and you are willing to answer my question - how is living in USA? I mean are there any "prejudice" against let's say "alternative people" (there is a lot of prejudice about this in Poland), and how does job situation look like etc?
Thanks in advance!

it's hard to find under the table work in most places in the usa, unless you just want to do construction or maybe craigslist gigs, but if you hussle it's not terrible. the northern portion and east and west coasts of the country are pretty open minded for the most part, but when you get into rural areas and the south of the country people get weirded out by anyone that looks different. it's a big country so there's a lot to say... i would suggest doing a lot of searching here and read a lot! the info is here, you just gotta search for it or pick up a copy of my book.

if it's your first time out here i'd suggest checking out the west coast and maybe parts of the east coast, but more up towards the north east. it's not super hard to do a hitchhiking tour in a circle around the country and you'll get to see a lot in the time you're here.

• Useful
Reactions: PolishCrust00

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads