Hey guys, Novice Traveler Here! (1 Viewer)

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
You also seem to have a good attitude - taking all this in the intended spirit

Last edited:
Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!
OP
SusanahOfGilead
Current Location
St Joseph Missouri
@SusanahOfGilead - I admire your confidence & I don't want to undermine your determination - however, please don't ignore what everyone is saying. While traveling, make folks/friends aware of your locations and destinations & check in with them; link up with a road dog if you can; (try to) strategize so you're not forced to make hasty (desperate) decisions - hitching at night, for example. AND - if you're not completely put off by what everyone's handing you here - keep us posted!
I love the advice, I was hoping that this site could network me up with a few people in the areas I wanna go t o, and along the way from here to there(s) so that I could be more confident of my route and to be as sure as I can be about my safety. I'll put this, and the other great nuggets of wisdom I've been collecting, in my notebook.

george990

Rambler
Current Location
Arizona
You can think I'm stupid and laugh all you want... Experience is the best teacher. I don't care how smart you think you are, there's certain things you simply have no control over.. Nobody thinks something bad will happen to them. EVERYBODY thinks they're smart enough to slide thru the cracks... Mike Tyson said it best when he said "everybody's got a plan, until they get punched in the face"... Stuff happens when you least expect it to...

Whoever said "paranoia will destroy ya", was an idiot... Paranoia will keep you alive and save your life. You have to always be looking ten steps ahead and planning for everything that could go wrong...

roughdraft

~
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
maryland
@george990 ; you're right with all of it, i mean it always comes to "safety first" - there are all these principles in all travel and all life really - sure everyone will take risks and enjoy, as we should, but nobody should ever let situational awareness fall to the wayside.

roughdraft

~
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
maryland
You're absolutely right.
word you know, it's just one of those things - like, i don't *want* it to be that way, but, it'd be disingenous to say otherwise, so I choose the lesser of two evils, by acknowledging and accepting reality, so that I may have a chance at fostering some growth and enjoyment, lol, anyway word, there's a million ways to travel "alternatively", hope ya have some good experiences with whatever you decide!

OP
SusanahOfGilead
Current Location
St Joseph Missouri
word you know, it's just one of those things - like, i don't *want* it to be that way, but, it'd be disingenous to say otherwise, so I choose the lesser of two evils, by acknowledging and accepting reality, so that I may have a chance at fostering some growth and enjoyment, lol, anyway word, there's a million ways to travel "alternatively", hope ya have some good experiences with whatever you decide!
Thanks, man. I definitely don't want to make some rookie mistake and end up on the five I clock news. I was homeless in KC,mo for about five years, and I think a lot of what I learned then will help me on my way. You guys are giving me a TON of great advice that I will not forget.

Juan Derlust

StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
Mistakes are OK as long as they're not fatal or crippling; it's how we learn best. We're all rookies until we learn from our mistakes. You don't want to repeat mistakes, and you want to avoid obvious mistakes.

OP
SusanahOfGilead
Current Location
St Joseph Missouri
Fact. I've been reading a hell of a lot of threads on here, and articles elsewhere, and I'm doing my best to gather as much info as I can, learning from the mistakes of others. Honestly, who knows, maybe this is not for me. Maybe I'll actually get on a train, have a successful journey, and come back home just to realize it's not what I really needed. I don't think it is, because i have t his re-occurring dream that sales me up with this desperate need to do this. But, if I really am just reading these signs wrong, I don't want to get into some serious trouble, I DEFINITELY don't want to make it harder for others, and I feel like I've got to at least give it a shot.

roughdraft

~
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
maryland
you seem like you got a solid head on yr shoulders, and if you´ve already been homeless for 5 years, you got yr teeth cut more than yr average person who is seeking an escape. you know shit aint easy. So, not to reiterate anything stated itt, just good luck

OP
SusanahOfGilead
Current Location
St Joseph Missouri
you seem like you got a solid head on yr shoulders, and if you´ve already been homeless for 5 years, you got yr teeth cut more than yr average person who is seeking an escape. you know shit aint easy. So, not to reiterate anything stated itt, just good luck
Thanks, I'll keep you posted on my travels, and I hope I'll tell you stories of how the advice of everyone here helped Dave me from disaster.

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
Chris McCandless survived 100 on the Alaskan wilderness, I think we can agree he had a pretty good idea of what he was doing,
In the book it's clear that nobody really knows what he died of, but he was pretty unlucky, half a mile down the river there was a pass or at least a cabin where he could have communicated.
Again,
100 days alone in Alaska, that's pretty bad ass. Too bad the river was raging. I think that kid wanted to go back to civilization and just got really bad luck. I respect him a lot.

It's just a side note.
I don't really care if op finds her death or not, we don't know each other and thousands of strangers die everyday. I wish she'd live though. I wish everyone would live, but again, maybe I need to talk more often to that dude named God that she keeps talking about :)
He barely survived 100 days in Alaska by pure luck. The dude had no business being out there knowing as little as he did. He also died like what less then a mile away from a bridge that would of helped him cross the river he was unable to cross? Not exactly a well prepared person.

roughdraft

~
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
maryland
yeah and aside from idolizing people like McCandles (never read or watched into the wild, dont give a fuck about it) it´d be a lot cooler to just carve yr own path, which many do dont get me wrong, i just dont get the appeal of this character, there´s folks out there who are not ¨hollywood famous¨ (although im aware it was prolly not his intention to be) who are actually doin shit better, that´s not hard to believe

i just do not understand why someone wants to justify or debate his legacy

george990

Rambler
Current Location
Arizona
Chris Mccandless is a great example of exactly what you shouldn't do.... People idolize this dillusion that they can just run off into the woods and figure out a way to survive with nothing but what they carry on their back...

Even if you could keep your body alive, Its a very desolate and deprived way to live. Not to mention Every single day would be filled with hard labor all day long. You'd constantly have to work all day, morning to night doing difficult tasks or you just wouldnt survive...

Whoever said living off grid is "the simple life" was an idiot... Living off grid is the exact opposite of "simple"... If you want simple, go to the city. You make 1 phone call to the water company, and all you have to do is turn the faucet to get water... When you live off grid, you need a water trailer to haul water from a near by well or from the closest town. You need 12v pumps or a gas powered pump or a generador to power a pump... For different situations, you may need 2 or 3 options in case one breaks down. You have to maintain your truck, trailer and equipment. The trailer has to have decent tires. Then you need a storage tank to transfer the water to. And solar to charge your batteries... Its 10 times more work off grid. Its generally more expensive off grid to get these things than it would be in town... Cities are built for efficiency! Which means that once the infastructure is in place, it costs less to maintain than it would if everybody was out in the woods trying to survive.

In the city, you call the power company and bingo, you got power. If you want to have any kind of power off grid, you need solar panels, charge controller, batteries, generator, wind turbines.... All these things require constant maintenance, and/or fuel. And when you realize how much they cost to purchase, and cost to operate, you'll quickly realize that its cheeper and easier and more efficient to just live in the city... Living off grid, is more of a luxury for those who are well to do, than it is a cheap alternative. Unless you want to live like a caveman. No more internet, hot showers, and refridgeration...

Dont get me wrong, It can be done.... Half the world population lives off grid to some degree or another.... But to try and do it completely by yourself, is just foolish. People need each other....

Have you ever heard the phrase 2 guys can do 3 times as much as 1??? Thats kind of the whole idea is that, without community and people working together towards common goals, your gonna fight constantly just to barely survive.... And that was the single most important part of chris mccandles story. He wanted to get away from society, and carve his own path, living off the land, and homesteading the wilderness... In other words, he wanted to go out and meet all of his daily needs providing for himself and be away from other people.... Only to realize in the end how much he needs all those people he was trying to get away from.... In his diary, he wrote "happiness is only real when its shared"... All those people and tools and laws he wanted to get away from, might have been important to survival afterall.... aye buddy?

Why does the bible say "but first seek the kingdom of god, and all other things will be added to you"... It symbolizes the need for community. Your greatest asset is your people... Your people are first and foremost.... Everything else, you guys can all figure out...

IDK man. People need people, and people need tools.... Everything in life is so much easier with saws, trailers, vehicles, tools.... Ya know? Its soo much easier to survive. I dont understand why anyone would go into the woods unless you have everything you could possibly need to survive ahead of time.... Even if you had everything you could possibly need, you'd go insane from being alone all the time... You'd need more people to do it with you so you have someone to talk to........

george990

Rambler
Current Location
Arizona
Believe it or not, Ive actually done this exact thing about 4-5 years ago...

I wanted to get away from people and live off grid, out in the woods by myself... I put a downpayment on 20 acres and built a small shed sized cabin.... Just big enough for me and my dog... I sold firewood to people in the surrounding towns thru a craigslist add. I didnt make much money, but it was enough to pay the $165 payment for the land and buy food and gas money and stuff... I had an enclosed trailer, a water trailer, and a firewood trailer. I had chainsaws, and a bunch of tools... I was actually pretty well prepared before I went out there.... I spent most of my days out in the woods cutting firewood. IN some ways, I loved it... In a lot of ways tho, it seriously sucked being alone every day. I didnt have a single friend withing 100 miles of where I was living.

It was about 2 hours to the closest walmart. 45 minute drive in a truck to the closest asphalt road. Like I said, I lived there for almost exactly one year and I had to get out of there. I sold everything off except my truck and enough stuff to live out of my vehicle until I decided what I wanted to do next... It would have been different if I had support and friends, or family or someone to help on the land and do stuff with.... But you can only spend so much time alone before it starts to take a toll on you..... I broke my ankle when a tree fell on my leg. I had surgery and they put a metal plate in my ankle. For 6 weeks I couldnt even stand up.....But everytime something went wrong, I got a little less motivated, I began to care less and less whether shit worked out or not.... Until eventually, I just said fuck it, I just want out of here... I want to be back in the city where there's life and people to talk to. and things to do...

Juan Derlust

StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the original poster's intention is to get out and travel - hopping trains, hitchhiking, and driving when possible. Meeting folks on the road wherever she goes - that sort of thing. I don't recall reading anything in her posts about living totally off-grid. Anyway, I think everyone here is trying to be supportive without encouraging overly risky behavior.

Last edited:

george990

Rambler
Current Location
Arizona
Ya no I was just talking about Chris Mccandless' foolish decision to head off into the alaskan wilderness by himself with just a gun a a backpack and try to stay out there all winter alone with no supplies... The moral of the story is, he was in the most beautiful place on earth doing exactly what he wanted to do, living exactly how he wanted to live... Yet he was miserable and often wrote in his diary about being lonely... Quoting his most famous words, "happiness is only real when its shared"... Thats it man. That sums it up... You can be in the most perfect environment, doing anything your heart desires... And still be miserable because theres no friends to share it with...

I think if you truly experience extreme isolation, it gives those words a meaning that some folks wont understand... Anyways, yea that guy died from trying to eat a bunch of wierd plants he likely knew nothing about... They made him sick and he basically starved to death from not having the energy and strength to leave. plus the winter weather....

Juan Derlust

StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
I agree - we often feel lonely in the crowd, unable to connect with or relate to anyone, but when you're truly alone, you realize it's something else - wanting that relation/connection on your own terms...

OP
SusanahOfGilead
Current Location
St Joseph Missouri
You see, isolation? That never bothered me. I've lived by my self for three out of the five years i was homeless in KC,MO, and I think I talked to 3 people a few times a month. Once was the call to my mother, assuring her that I was fine, that I didn't wanna come back home, and I would talk to her again next month and tell her the same all over again. The second phone call was to my daughter, who was at that point three years. I made that call everyday. The third conversation took place also everyday, for about five and a half minutes at the gas station I'd start my day with. Calling my mom usually lasted about 15 minutes. My daughter took anywhere from 30-45 on a good day, but a three year old's attention span doesn't last long when it's just a phone. Are that last five and a half minutes, I came to a grand total of 65 and a half minutes of human interaction and I honestly didn't even notice the difference.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Introductions 9
B Introductions 2
LucidDreams Introductions 1
U Introductions 11
willpower Introductions 6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $55.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $55.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $55.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Turns out, @Rhubarb Dwyer is even more handsome in person.
Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!
dumpsternavel wrote on Erinn Oface's profile.
I wanna see more of your arrrrttttttt
I made it to dayton with time to spare, i went belen/kc(for supplies)/chicago(i got robbed)/indy/dayton. Besides getting robbed in chicago the trip has been great, quick trains good kickdowns and a nice 2 ride hitchhike to dayton.
io2286 wrote on coolusername123's profile.
Hobosexual- someone who has a relationship to get a place to stay
Happy friday the 13th!
Hmu or send something my way
Cheers!
It takes forever to do profiles via smartphone.. I'll fill this out on a laptop later.. me and my wife, Straps, recently moved from NC to central Ohio and are looking for like minded folks. Oldschool punk and metal etc is our tastes but not limited to. She does Vocals as well as I.. I also play bass. And am currently working on a demo. Think serial killer true crime punk.. not 'horror punk'.. true horror, yes.
*will update tonight
wheels are made for rollin/mules are made to pack/I never seen a sight that didnt look better lookin back

Staff online

Members online