Hey guys, Novice Traveler Here! (1 Viewer)

Current Location
St Joseph Missouri
I'm gonna be a train hopper when I have to be, but a driver whenever I can. I don't know where I'm going,but I know that God has something to show me, and I just pray that I'll know what it is when it's in front of me.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Django

Current Location
Alaska-Argentina on a bike
Honnor to meet someone that God has a personal interest in!
Let us know how your relations with him is working out!

Seriously,
Good luck, be safe,
And may your common sense lead you better than this dude "god" :)

OP
SusanahOfGilead
Current Location
St Joseph Missouri
God gave me my share of hardships, but he also gave me gift of my voice, my children, and my life. The way I've lived, the things I've gotten myself into, I have no business having a heart that still beats and cares for my fellow man and woman. I've never felt more alive than when he's working in me.

Current Location
Milwaukee Wisconsin
Website
www.youtube.com
Welcome Aboard!!!

If you never hopped a train, please study the subject first. Many threads on here to help.

I also suggest to read Matt Derrick's book, the Anarchist's Guide to Travel which can be purchased on StP store.

You may want to read, The Hobo Handbook A Field Guide to Living by Your Own Rules by Josh Mack can be purchased on Amazon.

Good Luck on your future travels and adventures!

OP
SusanahOfGilead
Current Location
St Joseph Missouri
Welcome Aboard!!!

If you never hopped a train, please study the subject first. Many threads on here to help.

I also suggest to read Matt Derrick's book, the Anarchist's Guide to Travel which can be purchased on StP store.

You may want to read, The Hobo Handbook A Field Guide to Living by Your Own Rules by Josh Mack can be purchased on Amazon.

Good Luck on your future travels and adventures!
I've read through the StP guide for train hopping, and rest ASSURED I respect the very real, possibly fatal dangers. I intend to treat these rails as though they are MUCH bigger, stronger, and faster than me, because doing otherwise would only end my adventure for good. I've got screenshots of the entire thread saved to my Google account so I can study. I plan to make my very first attempt tomorrow after I've got my GrownUpStuff done and tied the ends that would otherwise be loose if I just left. I can't wait. I'm so excited to do this thing!

george990

Pilgrim
Current Location
Arizona
Having kids and travelling are a hard combination... Not that I have any experience with kids. I've done my share of travelling tho.... But geez if I had kids, I can only imagine how hard it would be.... Lack of stability leads to some pretty extreme opinions with other people...

Good luck tho. Hope it works out!

OP
SusanahOfGilead
Current Location
St Joseph Missouri
Having kids and travelling are a hard combination... Not that I have any experience with kids. I've done my share of travelling tho.... But geez if I had kids, I can only imagine how hard it would be.... Lack of stability leads to some pretty extreme opinions with other people...

Good luck tho. Hope it works out!
Woah, no. My kids aren't with me for reasons that I'm not exactly proud of, but they are in the best possible place and I see them all the time. It's been a really hard time the last two years, and I've never felt more like I'm not doing the right thing than I do every time I don't listen to this pull in my chest and my gut. My girls are perfect, they love me and they know I love them. Most importantly, they know that God loves them, and that He's got a plan for me as well as them.

george990

Pilgrim
Current Location
Arizona
What makes you wanna travel? Where would you like to see or visit.... I think more people generally leave in search of something, whether it be experiences, places, people or whatever... What makes you tick?

I travelled solo in search of new friends, and a new place to make a life... Suprisingly tho, I never felt more alone than I felt on the road... I met a quite a few really cool people, but I never stayed anywhere long enough to get to know anybody... You meet lots of people who are travelling the other direction, or they're leaving when you show up, or they want to stay stable in a place you'd rather not be... For a number of years it seemed like everytime I met someone who I thought I could become friends with, circumstances didnt allow it.... Honestly it kind of broke my heart. The general mentality of most people is really hard to overcome...

All 3 times I left Arizona to start a new life somewhere else, I told myself, Id never return... Come hell or high water, I was destined to overcome my obsticles and move on with my life... The ironic part, is that, It really wasn't until I returned, that I was able to overcome some of my obsticles... I had good times, and bad times, but being alone thousands of miles away from anybody I knew really left me in a disadvantaged possition... IDK. Some people really have the people skills to make friends everywhere they go and can easily find help in situations. Some people adapt much quicker and can make the best of any situation... Evidently, I'm not one of those people. I really struggled in Various parts of the country.

Nonetheless, I hope you find what your looking for. If you ever pass thru or end up in Arizona, hit me up. Im becoming more and more stable here, and things are finally turning around. I got a new motorcycle, and Ive made a few friends, and im about to start a new job... Its been a long time coming, but Things are finally starting to look up. If you only knew how bad things were for a while... Im excited and looking forward to the start of a new chapter... Better days are yet to come

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
Yeah, that's GREAT advice. How about some tips or suggestions on HOW to not get pinched or dead? See, THAT would be fantastic.
You could start by not hopping trains when you have no idea what yer doing. That would be a pretty GREAT nugget of advice. Or maybe you could do the tiniest bit of research beforehand.

Hudson

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Norcal
I think what they are trying to say (even though its hard to read through the criticism) is that its important to have goals, even out on the road being a vagabond. It gets lonely, it gets miserable and it gets cold.

The danger is more real than most people have gone through in their life. But with the right attitude it can be fun. You have to be able to open yourself up and make friends.

When I was on the road I couldn't do that which made things very lonely and cold.

But who knows what the future brings. Train hopping is very very dangerous and very very illegal.

Good luck, be safe.

george990

Pilgrim
Current Location
Arizona
To be a traveller is inherantly dangerous. The risks that come with hitch hiking in random peoples cars cant be over stated.... Any dangerous psycoath can pull up in front of you, and if youve been sitting there long enough, its hard to know when to refuse a ride... Deprived, desperate travellers, on the run from the law, are the cause of many crimes and homicides... When they started closing in on Ted Bundy, he fled to Utah, and then Colorado, and then Florida... But Ted bundy is only 1 of like thousands of murderers and rapists that travelled across country continuing their crime spree and targeting young women.

Or picking up hitch hikers. It goes both ways... Ive picked up many hitch hikers, and seriously thought it may be the death of me... Ive picked up hitch hikers a number of times and regretted it so badly that I never want to pick up a stranger, ever again... I picked up on guy in Oregon that was strung out on drugs soo bad, he was much bigger than me, he acted very hostile and agressive. It sounded like he was despirate, running from the law, or awaiting sentencing or something. It sounded like his circumstances were bad enough that stealing my vehicle and dumping my body somewhere in the woods, didnt seem like a very far off possibility. He was very unpredictable and he was very deranged. I drove him about an hour, but the drive felt like days... It was the longest hour of my life.

Being out on the road and living in constant motion from one town to the next means that mot of the people you'll deal with and meet, and be surrounded by, you'll likely never see again... When people can basically assume they'll never see you again, you'd be suprised what they'll try to pull on you...

In my experience, half the people you run across are good hearted people with good intentions... 25% of people are wild card who can turn on you in a heart beat... and then 25% of people you should get away from as fast as possible, because they will try to find a way to screw you over, steal your money, take your things, or worse...

Dont let your guard down tho around anybody. Dont tell people where you sleep. Spend the extra time to make sure your not being followed. Make extra turns, loop back around.... Dont do the same thing everyday and become predictable for a predator... If you must do the same thing everyday, do the same thing differently everyday... Take a different road everyday to get home. Go to work a different route every morning. If you feel like your being followed, or theres a questionable vehicle in your rearview mirror, dont go home!!! Go to a park and wait and see what they do. Then go drive to another spot, and then go hide in an alley for a while, and then go home, but only when your possitive nobody is following you...

You'd be suprised the stuff that goes on everyday and nobody hears about most of it, because they cant prove who to hold accountable... When you cant prove something, its kinda like it never happenned.

Last edited:

SlankyLanky

Staff member
Current Location
@Hudson I appreciate you lightening the mood of the thread a bit by being positive, but it's not as if my or anyone else's criticism is unwarranted. It gets tiring repeating myself in thread after thread about this subject. I know I'm not the only person who tries to not only look out for the safety of new people interested in trains, but is also very upfront about how I feel about people who frankly arnt prepared for what they are getting themselves into.

Me saying try to not get arrested or killed is selfishly not only for op's well being, it's mainly out of concern that they could draw negative attention to riders through doing something dumb or getting hurt.

george990

Pilgrim
Current Location
Arizona
I think most people largely underestimate the true danger of being out and about.... In other words, everybody thinks that the probability of crossing paths with a murderer, serial killer, rapist, violent robber, is like such a small statistic that it will probably never happen to them.... Youve probably walked past 3 this week. For people who live behind locked doors, and hold down steady jobs, that might not be the case... But most people dont spend all their time out in public... Travellers do... When your on the road, your mostly unprotected. Hitch hikers, train hoppers, hobo's, generally spend all their time out in public, in unfamiliar environments.... The chance of something happenning, is ten times higher when you spend your time living unprotected... The risks are multiplied times a hundred....

Serial killers, rapists, armed robbers, child molesters, and thugs, they're looking for an easy target. They're opportunistic and want someone whos vulnerable, out in public, easy to follow, easy to find... When you live in a house, and the doors lock.... When you have a vehicle, and you work with a select group of people, you have much more control over your environment.... People who spend most of their time on secured private property are so much less likely, to find themselves in a situation.... When your in public, on the streets, sleeping exposed, and always visable to the public eye.... Its a whole different world...

You have to realize that if you wanted to find a certain homeless person on any given day, its usually pretty easy. Once you figure out where they hang out and where they sleep, they become very easy targets compared to everybody else....

These are things nobody talks about, but you should know before you put yourself in a vollnerable position...

Last edited:

Hudson

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Norcal
@SlankyLanky

I agree whole heartedly. The road is not sri lanka it is not a mecca, more often then not it's peoples last resort.

Myself I'm drawn to it because I'm so jaded from modern life and society. They have turned it into a worthless pursuit of monetary gain, posessions and breeding. I am over this society. I fought a war for it and physically hurt a lot of people in a foreign country when I was young. And since the dust came off my eyes I've basically been dreaming of Alex mccandless, Wolfe, Steinbeck, Vonnegut and Kerouac.

I tend to go more towards Tolkien when it comes to travelling though. He was positive about it.

I do imagine there are a ton of people coming on these forums assuming they are going to get some easy pdf guide to hopping or travelling.

To the OP, you have to realize there is no tour guide to being off the beaten path.

SlankyLanky

Staff member
Current Location
I'm not convinced that a lot of people who's last resort is turning to train hopping (or in op's case driving with some kinda train hopping mixed in here and there hell if I know) come to stp.

I get it man, again I really do, but all of those names aside from one were successful authors who's work provides very little if any practical information on modern day train hopping (not sure about while wolfe was alive although I know after his death he got more recognition) and chris mccandless is a really really bad example of how to uh...ya know not be dumb and die. It's romantic but it's not reality.

I like tolkien as much as the next guy, but unless you wanna compare hobbits avoiding nazgul to riders dodging bulls I'm not seeing a whole lot of parallels here. Fantasy books unfortunately arnt reality.

*Edited for my awful spelling.

Django

Current Location
Alaska-Argentina on a bike
Chris McCandless survived 100 on the Alaskan wilderness, I think we can agree he had a pretty good idea of what he was doing,
In the book it's clear that nobody really knows what he died of, but he was pretty unlucky, half a mile down the river there was a pass or at least a cabin where he could have communicated.
Again,
100 days alone in Alaska, that's pretty bad ass. Too bad the river was raging. I think that kid wanted to go back to civilization and just got really bad luck. I respect him a lot.

It's just a side note.
I don't really care if op finds her death or not, we don't know each other and thousands of strangers die everyday. I wish she'd live though. I wish everyone would live, but again, maybe I need to talk more often to that dude named God that she keeps talking about :)

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
@large
@SusanahOfGilead - I admire your confidence & I don't want to undermine your determination - however, please don't ignore what everyone is saying. While traveling, make folks/friends aware of your locations and destinations & check in with them; link up with a road dog if you can; (try to) strategize so you're not forced to make hasty (desperate) decisions - hitching at night, for example. AND - if you're not completely put off by what everyone's handing you here - keep us posted!

OP
SusanahOfGilead
Current Location
St Joseph Missouri
To be a traveller is inherantly dangerous. The risks that come with hitch hiking in random peoples cars cant be over stated.... Any dangerous psycoath can pull up in front of you, and if youve been sitting there long enough, its hard to know when to refuse a ride... Deprived, desperate travellers, on the run from the law, are the cause of many homicides and many crimes... When Ted Bundy started feeling like the walls were closing in on him, he fled to Utah, and then Colorado, and then Florida... But Ted bundy is ony 1 of like thousands of murderers and rapists that start doing crimes in one place and then hit the road going across country continuing their crime spree before it catches up with them...

Or picking up hitch hikers. It goes both ways... Ive picked up many hitch hikers, and seriously thought it may be the cause of my death a few times... Ive picked up hitch hikers a number of times and regretted it so badl that I almost never want to pick up a stranger, ever again... I picked up on guy in Oregon that was strung out on drugs soo bad, he was mucher bigger than me, he acted very hostile and agressive. It sounded like he was despirate, running from the law, or awaiting sentencing or something. It sounded like his circumstances were bad enough that staling my vehicle and dumping my body somewhere in the woods, didnt seem like a very far off possibility. He was very unpredictable and he was very deranged. I drove him about an hour, but the drive felt like days... It was the longest hour of my life.

Being out on the road and living in constant motion from one town to the next means that mot of the people you'll deal with and meet, and be surrounded by, you'll likely never see again... When people can basically assume they'll never see you again, you'd be suprised what they'll try to pull on you...

In my experience, half the people you run across are good hearted people with good intentions... 25% of people are wild card who can turn on you in a heart beat... and then 25% of people you should get away from as fast as possible, because they will try to find a way to screw you over, steal your money, take your things, or worse...

Dont let your guard down tho around anybody. Dont tell people where you sleep. Spend the extra time to make sure your not being followed. Make extra turns, loop back around.... Dont do the same thing everyday and become predictable for a predator... If you must do the same thing everyday, do the same thing differently everyday... Take a different road everyday to get home. Go to work a different route every morning. If you feel like your being followed, or theres a questionable vehicle in your rearview mirror, dont go home!!! Go to a park and wait and see what they do. Then go drive to another spot, and then go hide in an alley for a while, and then go home, but only when your possitive nobody is following you...

You'd be suprised the stuff that goes on everyday and nobody hears about most of it, because they cant prove who to hold accountable... When you cant prove something, its kinda like it never happenned.
This is some INVALUABLE advice, thank you so much. I've done quite a bit of research on this topic and the more I learn, the better prepared for both best AND worst case scenarios, and that, my friend, could be the difference between a long, self-searching and life affirming adventure, and a quick, sad day. Thank you so much for your wisdom, I will always keep this in mind.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Introductions 9
B Introductions 2
LucidDreams Introductions 1
U Introductions 11
willpower Introductions 6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $45.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $45.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $45.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $45.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Macon for a super hot minute. Who what when where?
Finished an initial draft of a floorplan for my new van:
A lot has happened since returning to California. Just two days after returning from the road, I grew the courage to leave my abusive SO and stop hiding her abuse. I returned to my hometown in the Bay Area; I’m now going to stay housed up here until next summer as I recover from trauma and save up for my next adventure. I’ve just gotten a job offer, and will be renting a room of my own here!
I learned a lot about myself and the world on the road, but I know vagabonding is the life for me!
I never did complete an update here, did I?
Well, I rubbertramped all across the country, back from Boston with a fellow moderator from R&V. We drove from there to Las Vegas over the course of a month! I saw 4 national parks, 30 states, and crossed over 6000+ miles. I came back to Los Angeles on June 15th, having achieved my goal of hitchhiking the entire country, and was on the road for over two months.
3 weeks of CDL training starting Monday. Im so excited. Living in semi is an upgrade from living in the van, especially since your getting paid for it! Hells yea!!!
A list of all the magic stores in the U.S. would be a sick feature on stp. Imagine you get off the train desperately in need of smokes and a slam, but you got ran off every corner... Dont worry stp knows exactly where you can get pall malls and some steelies with those foodies you picked up in the last town.
Engineer J Lupo wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
Happy Birthday, dad!
I really need to find someone catching out around at joseph... I don't know if I can do this for the first time in my own...
you are not immune to propaganda
EastCoastTurtle wrote on sydaavicious's profile.
You sould come chill in Bend. Could show you around. + its super chill out here.