Hey folks with mobile command centers that have solar set ups (1 Viewer)

Gypsybones

Nomad
Reaction score
Homebase
Your mothers house
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
I see that there are a few fairly cheap solar kits that can be purchased from the innerwebs and I'm wondering how many of y'all got them and how well they work. Looking for anything that can run lights and charge devices, so nothing that drains fuck tons of power, just enough so I don't have to sit in the dark silence.

thanks y'all

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Matt Derrick

Permanent Wanderer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Homebase
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
Oh man, I'm right in the middle of making a bunch of solar power system purchases for my van, but I'm going a little bit extreme, since I need more power for computer and video editing stuff. I definitely can help you out with that though, I've done a ton of research and done some smaller setups myself.

Do you know exactly what devices you want to run? And for how long? Also a guestimation of the amount of (full) sunlight you'll have every day? What's your budget? Are you trying to go as cheap as possible or are you willing to spend a little more for convenience?

Matt Derrick

Permanent Wanderer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Homebase
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
I would like to be able to run LED light bulbs, charge the phone, tablet, and blutooth speaker; I might also get a wifi booster along the way as well. I'm guessing not all that much sun since its winter around the Great Lakes and I don't want to completely cheap out if I don't have too
100w renogy solar panel = $100: https://amzn.to/3wAqb5v
20a MPPT solar controller = $120: https://amzn.to/3kdoSEe
Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 240 = $200: https://amzn.to/3wjQvk4
Link Solar Weatherproof ABS Solar Double Cable Entry Gland = $12: https://amzn.to/3qamja5
50ah AGM battery - $100.....

ya know what? after doing a little research, for such low power requirements, this jackery kit (link below) should be everything you'd need. It's portable too, and stupid simple to set up, since it has a built in inverter, and solar controller, so you literally just plug the panel into the jackery and that's it. i'm pretty sure you can also recharge it via a standard power plug or cigarette adapter.

It's $600, but for your power requirements, it should be everything you need in the simplest setup possible. Even doing everything individually like I was pricing out above would only save you around $100, and would be waaaay more complicated to set up.

I would probably go with a setup like this myself, but my power requirements are waaaay higher (microwave/video editing laptop/etc).

Landob

Lurker
Reaction score
Homebase
SLC
Having had a setup for 4 yrs i have this to say. Based on your minimal requirements I think the easiest thing to do is the following.
AGM battery plus a nice big fuse/switch and b2b charger. This way you charge while driving. Solar wouldn't be necessary as long as your driving an HR a week roughly

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.