Hey everyone I'm Chelsea

Bent123

Reaction score
Have been traveling on and off for about 10 years. Trying to get a summer job in Alaska and after that hitting the road again. Most of my travels have been hopping freight and hitching but I'm hoping to buy a van with my earnings from Alaska. I read one post about working in a fishery. Just looking for a good opportunity and be able to enjoy beautiful Alaska. Any advice is appreciated.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Welcome aboard! I would love to hear some of your stories from the last 10 years, I always find tales of others travels very interesting. As I'm sure many others among us do too.

agreed, if you have time, we love to hear travel stories!

• Agree
Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Just an update. I got a job in Naknek, Alaska. I start June 15th. Pretty bummed about this virus. It's really going to cut down on exploring. Bummer
Congrats on the job! Hope it's a good year and you can make a decent amount of change. The only other advice I can think of at the moment is to not show up to work high or drunk. And try not to get so drunk after work, that yer hungover before work. Load up on vitamins, take lots of Vitamin C, etc.....seems like everyone always gets sick with a cold of some sort and then it spreads like crazy cause of the close living/working environment.

If you smoke, bring lots of smokes up with you cause they will be a lot more expensive in Naknek.

Bent123

Reaction score
Congrats on the job! Hope it's a good year and you can make a decent amount of change. The only other advice I can think of at the moment is to not show up to work high or drunk. And try not to get so drunk after work, that yer hungover before work. Load up on vitamins, take lots of Vitamin C, etc.....seems like everyone always gets sick with a cold of some sort and then it spreads like crazy cause of the close living/working environment.

If you smoke, bring lots of smokes up with you cause they will be a lot more expensive in Naknek.

Thanks, I got vitamins and cold medicine to take with me.Normally I would worry about the drinking thing but I rarely drink anymore and we can't go into town because of the virus. They have a store on site but I doubt they sell booze. Honestly if I didn't need the cash so bad I would wait and go another summer. They have really strict rules in place because the small town is worried about being wiped out by this virus like they were in I want to say 1910 by the Spanish Flu. They petitioned hard to try to get the salmon season completely shut down. It's going to be interesting to say the least. Thanks for the advice and if you think of anything else drop me a line.

Bent123

Reaction score

And one last question. Any good books you have read lately or whenever that you could recommend? I'm going to try to catch up on some reading while I am there. Everyone has to take a Covid-19 test upon arrival and quarantined until they get results back. That's the part I am dreading most. So I am going to be bringing quite a few books with me.

Bent123

Reaction score
Welcome aboard! I would love to hear some of your stories from the last 10 years, I always find tales of others travels very interesting. As I'm sure many others among us do too.

I would love to share some with you sometime. I am actually working on writing some stories down. At least the ones I can remember. I have a ton of great memories and some pretty terrifying ones. The terrifying ones well most of them definitely not all are pretty funny now when I look back. When I get some extra time I'll send you some. My laptop sucks and my keyboard or I guess mouse never stays where it should and jumps mid word mid sentence all the time. I don't know why it's fairly new. It's annoying though. This took me like 15 minutes to type just because of that.

Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Welcome Aboard to StP! Looks like you're on the right track on what you want to do and you're in the right place here at StP! Getting a job and then buying a van in the future for future adventures is great!

I would love along the other members here, would love to read your past and present travel stories, please share them. Always love to learn new subjects on alternative traveling!

Again, WELCOME ABOARD!!!! Good Luck!!!!!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
And one last question. Any good books you have read lately or whenever that you could recommend? I'm going to try to catch up on some reading while I am there. Everyone has to take a Covid-19 test upon arrival and quarantined until they get results back. That's the part I am dreading most. So I am going to be bringing quite a few books with me.
I don't read all that much to be honest, but the last good book I can remember reading is "The Happiest Man in the World: An Account of the Life of Poppa Neutrino" by Alec Wilkinson. It's about the life of this eccentric vagabond/musician/philosopher who ends up building a raft made from junk on the streets of New York and sails it across the Atlantic.

Also, anything from Tom Robbins is entertaining.

Bent123

Reaction score
I don't read all that much to be honest, but the last good book I can remember reading is "The Happiest Man in the World: An Account of the Life of Poppa Neutrino" by Alec Wilkinson. It's about the life of this eccentric vagabond/musician/philosopher who ends up building a raft made from junk on the streets of New York and sails it across the Atlantic.

Also, anything from Tom Robbins is entertaining.

Yeah I feel ya on that. I read a lot when I was younger including Tom Robbins. I only read a few of his books. Skinny legs and All, Another Roadside Attraction(My personal favorite) and Even Cowgirls Get The Blues. I'm definitely going to try and order the book you recommended. It sounds really good. Thanks!

Bent123

Reaction score
Welcome Aboard to StP! Looks like you're on the right track on what you want to do and you're in the right place here at StP! Getting a job and then buying a van in the future for future adventures is great!

I would love along the other members here, would love to read your past and present travel stories, please share them. Always love to learn new subjects on alternative traveling!

Again, WELCOME ABOARD!!!! Good Luck!!!!!

Thanks Crazy Hobo Johnny! Matt asked me to share my stories on here from Alaska and in October I have a job in Minnesota for the beet harvest. So I am excited about doing that. I'm working on trying to fix my computer. Been googling solutions but so far none of them have worked. My cursor/mouse jumps all over the place when I'm typing and it gets really frustrating. Once I get that mess figured out I'll start sharing stories. But right now it's a pain. It's basically brand new so it's got to be an easy fix I am hoping.

marmar

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Thanks Crazy Hobo Johnny! Matt asked me to share my stories on here from Alaska and in October I have a job in Minnesota for the beet harvest. So I am excited about doing that. I'm working on trying to fix my computer. Been googling solutions but so far none of them have worked. My cursor/mouse jumps all over the place when I'm typing and it gets really frustrating. Once I get that mess figured out I'll start sharing stories. But right now it's a pain. It's basically brand new so it's got to be an easy fix I am hoping.
hey , just came across this thread, I wonder how did it go for you last summer at the cannery job?
i was going to do that as well, but my applications werent responded to but i am gonna try and get the gig this year. i did beat harvest in nd last fall as well!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads