1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Hep C

Discussion in 'Staying Healthy' started by starfarer, Sep 13, 2017.

1. starfarer

starfarer is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Hobart, IN, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +16 / -0
    Yesterday went to get my first script of HARVONI, got told that without the government subsidy (Australia) it twenty six thousand dollars a MONTH. which made me think...... what happens to you Americans who have to pay for medicine?

2. SlankyLanky

SlankyLanky Completely Addicted
    Staff Member Chat Moderator

Achievements:
    floor sweeper and tube scrubber
    Address:
    Richmond, VA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,667 / -46
    for homeless/poor people, well, we basically just kinda die.

kidding aside, its a real shit show. glad you are able to get well though thats whats up! i wasnt aware of the healthcare system in australia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    starfarer

starfarer is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Hobart, IN, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +16 / -0
    fucking hell they dont treat you ? i pay six dollars a month and the government subisidises the rest of teh twenty six thousand!

4. SlankyLanky

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,667 / -46
    well yes there is treatment but its nowhere near 6 bucks a month, wow man germany is doing awesome for healthcare man thats great! yea for 6 bucks a month you wont get anything in the states.

5. Tude

Tude Sometimes traveler is traveling.
    Staff Member Moderator

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    College staff
    Address:
    Rochester, NY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +2,900 / -11
    wow! Yeah - the last I knew - and I know several people who have completed the treatment - or had to drop because of lack of insurance (the one guy went to a VA hospital - it was like @ $100,000 more or less.

6. SlankyLanky

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,667 / -46
    yea the interferon a friend of mine was put on recently is just ridiculously expensive. health care in the states is a joke. i havnt had any kind of health care since i was 15 or so and still under my moms insurance, every job ive had since has either not offered or has been cash, which is fine but it sure makes some things a real pain to get taken care of when they need to. ive had to have 3 teeth pulled over the past few years and im sure if i even had basic healthcare it would of been alot less expensive.

7. Popsicle

Popsicle Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Drifter
    Address:
    Lost City, WV, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +141 / -8
    I got it from tattoos in 2012 routine visit to hospital checkup . Contracted genotype 3-1 . I was put on copefus and interferon and cleared it in two weeks bit then again my levels were way low. That 6 months of pills and injections about fucking killed me I lost 30lbs and was sick 4 days a week . Smiles as I smoked me some killer bud the whole time

Note the drug manfg let me have mine for free as it was a trial .

8. Tude

Tude Sometimes traveler is traveling.
    Staff Member Moderator

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    College staff
    Address:
    Rochester, NY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +2,900 / -11
    wow - I ride the bus in the morning with a freaking feisty 73 yr old who claims she got hep c from getting a spur of the moment tat at a bar years ago (had to have been mid 1970's) that Ive been to and the duress she undertook long ago to cure the hep.

I have a couple guys talking about not having money for treatment in another group atm as well. Expensive

9. Popsicle

Popsicle Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Drifter
    Address:
    Lost City, WV, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +141 / -8
    Good morning Tude , yes the treatment is expensive . The side affects are not to good allot of people will say tattoos to mask the sharing of needles to not be brought up. I did both but was clean and still am. I know where I got mine because the place I got my tattoos at ar time was less than stellar .

I no longer even have it but I'm worried the long term from medicine would probably be worse than the hep all around . I show no side affects other than a strong urge to whip super mans ass all the time .

10. Journals

Journals Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    busker / transient
    Address:
    Tucson, AZ, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    SWIM would smoke less, drink less, use cbd, eat healthy, that means vegetables not fucking pizza with mushrooms... also excercise, meditate and general well being keeps them from fatigue and liver failure being to extreme