Helping Animals and Getting to Travel

tashiwartooth

Reaction score
I've worked with local rescues for the last five or six years, from fostering to TNR, and it's definitely something I love doing. However, with travel, I can't exactly do the extent of what I was doing as my time in my home town is limited.

In the spirit of helping however I can, I spoke with the rescues I work closely with and I've started offering my service in animal transport. The adopter pays gas to the location, the dog doesn't have to go on a god awful plane ride, and I get to travel without dipping into my own funds for gas. Or, because I live in a high euth rate state, sometimes its just a run to a few states north to meet the next leg of the transport. Even in that case, the rescue still pays the gas to get there, and sometimes back, depending on how many places I feel like I wanna go on the way back.

Has anyone else given this a go? Would anyone be interested in being part of a network of people that does things like this?

Attachments

• DSCN0737.JPG
    DSCN0737.JPG
    408.7 KB · Views: 386

angerisagift

Reaction score
I've worked with local rescues for the last five or six years, from fostering to TNR, and it's definitely something I love doing. However, with travel, I can't exactly do the extent of what I was doing as my time in my home town is limited.

In the spirit of helping however I can, I spoke with the rescues I work closely with and I've started offering my service in animal transport. The adopter pays gas to the location, the dog doesn't have to go on a god awful plane ride, and I get to travel without dipping into my own funds for gas. Or, because I live in a high euth rate state, sometimes its just a run to a few states north to meet the next leg of the transport. Even in that case, the rescue still pays the gas to get there, and sometimes back, depending on how many places I feel like I wanna go on the way back.

Has anyone else given this a go? Would anyone be interested in being part of a network of people that does things like this?
seems pretty awesome, girl

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Sounds like a great idea for a person to make a one on one arrangement for gas/travel.
You love helping animals and your doing something you enjoy that is real cool.

like Uber/Lyft but 4 animals

A thought on the prospect of creating a network of folks that does this kinda service for real cheap or only gas and travel.

It could work... I wonder if it should be on the hush though.
What I'm thinking is that anytime you cut into an industry and have folks loose profits/jobs your gonna stir up a shit storm.

I haven't followed it close but there has been lots of conflict between the Uber folks and traditional taxi services.

I don't know how big the animal transport business is, but I could imagine if a network of folks were to show up cutting them out and preventing them from making a living. You might end up with a counter movement.
They would start requiring transporters to have certain... maybe standards of vehicle size and some kinda safety/animal certifications... or ... I dunno I don't know much about the animal transport/rescue.

Then again it might not be as big of a deal and your idea of a network is an awesome idea. Good way for folks living cheap and simple to help out the animals they love and get some travel. Maybe I'm overthinking it anyway.

Well. Good stuff. And oh those are a pair of sweet Corgi's in that pic!
Remind me of EIN from Cowboy Bebop. :D

Reactions: MirandaLeigh

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Wow...awesome.

As an animal rights activist and work at a doggie daycare/rescue, I understand the necessity of your service, all too well.

What you're doing is fabulous.

Send me a message, letting me know where you are, how far you travel, etc and that way, if any of the rescues I keep in contact with need you, I can pass along your info.

Thanks for helping.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
That's a great idea! And that's a pile of corgi's! A great help to people! I have a friend who has a plane and he helps with transporting animals that are being adopted from out of state. He is another great person.

Reactions: Andrea Van Scoyoc

East

Reaction score
well i was thinking wear/tear on vehicle like tires/oil changes

Yeah, I like the idea but wear and tear can be expensive when you start looking at transmission replacement and stuff like that. My vehicle is already up there, still shifts fine.. fingers crossed. I love the idea though. Maybe if I had more savings.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads