I know most people think Nebraska is a shithole.

Pickles

Reaction score
But as I was walking the 20 something blocks between the 82nd and 60th st max stops in order to achieve my fare evasion for today (thanks for the ride Trimet!) I was pondering where I want to go in the near future and I couldn't get Nebraska out of my head. I know, I know, NE is nothing but a massive, terrifying yard in the middle of a massive, boring corn field. But I really want to go there, just to see it. My dad grew up in Omaha and Lincoln, and even though we don't talk anymore, I'd like to see the places I heard so many stories about when I was a kid. Does anyone have any suggestions of towns to go to / avoid? Anyone have a horror story bad enough to dissuade me from riding into NE? Anyone share my strange desire to visit this state?

Pickles

Reaction score
Haha yeah, so I've heard. I was doing some more research on bailey yard today, fuckin terrifying, my heartrate still hasn't slowed down.

hobogirl

Reaction score
Hey Pickles, nice chatting with you. I've been through Nebraska once and there wasn't a lot to see. Omaha was a fun town, but don't go there in the winter... fucking freezing. Funny I've had a falling out with my Dad as well and we haven't talked for over a year. What happened with you and your Dad?

Pickles

Reaction score
It's amazing what a 700 thousand dollar hospital bill can accomplish. Nice chattin with you too. I've met a lot of people through STP in the past few days. Yeah, I figured there wouldn't be much there, but I'm all about open space and small towns. Maybe I'll pass through on my way out to NOLA though.

sprout

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with North Platte, it's just fucking huge.

Omaha can be cool if you find the right people. There's a nifty train museum in Lincoln.

loess

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend coming here right now. The weather's been godawful, and it's unlikely you'll find anyone to house you. The bus system is a joke. It's not easy to be homeless here in the winter. Food Not Bombs serves Saturdays and Sundays downtown in Omaha. Council Bluffs has a good train museum. Lincoln has some punk houses, and a much larger population of radicals; if you're gonna come out to southeast Nebraska, go there instead of Omaha.

Western Nebraska is beautiful, especially up near the panhandle, but you really need transportation to get to anything interesting.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads