Help on Ireland! Squats, Farms, Festivals, nice places to hang out and see? (1 Viewer)

Slainte Irish out there!

Goin to Ireland Sept.&October! Yeah!!

Need suggestions&help on where to go!

Was thinking of mostly westcoast: Cork-Ring of Kerry-Galway-Westport-Sligo-Donegal,

going with a friend first hitchiking, camping, hiking

and then would like to stay on a farm or somewhere a bit longer, maybe work exchange,

and if you know of any welcoming People, Squats, Festival on the way,

PLEASE let me know.

Slán agat
RAnDale

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

astephen5

Lurker
People in the cities will be friendly enough but the west coast is very much rural and insular Gaelic speakers. They will be reluctant to give u a ride.

lalalazoe

anyone here still on the west coast of ireland?​
im heading there tomorrow and ill be doing a worktrade at a hostel in dingle till the 10th of march. would reallyyy love to know about some radical spaces/squats/ interesting things going on in the area.....​
and i was wondering if anyone around there was heading up to the earth first winter gathering in scotland at the end of february. orrr maybe someone has a contact thats involved with earth first events in ireland?​

OP
Alkoholschmuggler
haha, never made it actually, so plan is still out there, got stuck in a good way in britain , london, cornwall and south wales, nice people, good rides.

cornwall was a bit boring really, but i had friends there. Got drenched and saved from the rain a couple of times, a memorable drinkin mormon couple gave me a ride in the wrong direction for half an hour before i could convice them that we're definately not heading north, but free beer made more than up for the detour. A monstertruck driver told me to stick around till march if i want a job with the show, so for anybody in cornwall look for ads.

Cardiff had good dumpsters, city center was way to clean, ended up on a farm in the end, so anybody looking for that in wales or britain check the site diggersanddreamers.com or something similar, some place on there are open to travellers long and shortterm, and do some sort of relaxed work exchange.

and yeah, i like london, but i guess most people been there.

so maybe i ll see u next time in ireland. cheers

BobbinGoblin

Pilgrim
Website
bobbingoblin.tumblr.com
I'm back state side now, and I never got to Dingle.

But I would recommend heading to Galway for a little while. The occupation is still up and running, I believe, and there are always interesting characters there. Also, the city is full of friendly and fascinating people from all over Europe.. There are squats, but I couldn't tell you where they are, either way, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a place to stay (and you can always borrow a tent at occupy).

lalalazoe

hahha yeh definitely! dingle is fucking awesome. but im leaving here in a week and half, and everyoneees been telling me to go to galway, so thts the next stop, right after a night or two in doolin. ill definitely hit up the occupy; do you know of any other specific spaces or anything in galway i could check out ?

BobbinGoblin

Pilgrim
Website
bobbingoblin.tumblr.com
Well, I hope you had some great craic in Ireland.... Where did you end up going in Galway? I'm sure you enjoyed Shop Street!? The short-cut to town along the railroad tracks is an interesting trek... but a girl named Manuela was raped and murdered there in 2010 or so.

Pisum Sativum

Well, I hope you had some great craic in Ireland.... Where did you end up going in Galway? I'm sure you enjoyed Shop Street!? The short-cut to town along the railroad tracks is an interesting trek... but a girl named Manuela was raped and murdered there in 2010 or so.
Hey, are you still living in Galway? I'm going to spend a couple of days there with a friend, in mid-April. Any interesting places, people or couches in mind?:)

BobbinGoblin

Pilgrim
Website
bobbingoblin.tumblr.com
Hey, are you still living in Galway? I'm going to spend a couple of days there with a friend, in mid-April. Any interesting places, people or couches in mind?:)
Back in Michigan these days. But there are lots of good people to meet - check out Shop Street. Just over the Wolfe Tone Bridge and up Sea Road there is Bell Book and Candle - a rad book and record store. And busking is legal if you are into that sort of thing.

See if you can borrow a bike!! There is a nice trail/sidewalk that goes along the bay and Dublin Road - if you make it past GMIT (a couple miles), there is Merlin Woods Park on the left - sweet ruins and trails in the woods. And then if you head down the street to the right (at the stoplight), past the apartment complexes, there is an abandoned house, goat/cow pasture - cross the RR tracks and you can go down to the ocean.

I'm sure you will find many of your own nooks and crannies to explore! Ahh I'd like to return.

Pisum Sativum

Back in Michigan these days. But there are lots of good people to meet - check out Shop Street. Just over the Wolfe Tone Bridge and up Sea Road there is Bell Book and Candle - a rad book and record store. And busking is legal if you are into that sort of thing.

See if you can borrow a bike!! There is a nice trail/sidewalk that goes along the bay and Dublin Road - if you make it past GMIT (a couple miles), there is Merlin Woods Park on the left - sweet ruins and trails in the woods. And then if you head down the street to the right (at the stoplight), past the apartment complexes, there is an abandoned house, goat/cow pasture - cross the RR tracks and you can go down to the ocean.

I'm sure you will find many of your own nooks and crannies to explore! Ahh I'd like to return.
Oh great suggestions, thanks a lot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $25.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $25.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $25.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $25.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Katbearfoot wrote on Fenimore's profile.
cool tats! ;)
Back in the states, where madness reigns supreme

But I'm alright here in Wichita, KS

Found some beautiful nature spots

kickin' it with my parents

Hit me up if you roll through

Hope you all are well and I hope things start changing for the better
Jerrell wrote on Twiggy's profile.
Good to hear.
Weekly voice chat is in 30 mins in our discord, come conversate with us using your vocal cords
Coronavirus, Murder hornets, race riots...level 6 jumanji starts tonight
Well spanged up enough for a greyhound dipping this thursday thx! For the help!
My account finally says "Hobo"
No one can tell me I didn't earn my skank
Anyone in Minneapolis at the protest, just got back here from Duluth
Will do these posts occasionally so family and friends know we are alive and well.
Currently: in Mariposa, CA, getting ready to head to Coulterville, CA.
Always sucks to see good ppl/new friends get back on that ironhorse after getting to hangout/know, be safe friends an stay in touch! @Koala @scutellaria, maxy, Henry an well. Wish I was enroute South with y'all!

Members online

No members online now.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
Anpu777