Hello! I’m Pokebert

Pokebert

Spiritual Nomad
Reaction score
Website
reddit.com
Hiya! C: My name is Robert (aka Pokebert) and I’m 18 years old. I live in Los Angeles, CA and moved here from the Bay Area where I was born and raised. I use medical cannabis and kratom to treat my myriad of conditions - I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, a genetically inherited connective tissue disorder. I also have OCD, DP/DR, C-PTSD and well, anxiety in general. But I’m fighting to stay healthy, and heal from my trauma, always!

I have a… really crazy life story, to say the least, and I’ve been through and overcome a lot. I came out as bisexual to my religious and conservative family at age 13, and it didn’t go well. They very much rejected me (except for my much more liberal dad, but at first he still had trouble) and I was forced to keep it a secret from family members. It’s also during this time of self-discovery and immense growth through hardship that I discovered God. Though I do not associate with any religion, I am a big fan of New Testament (specifically, the words of Jesus) as well as The Kybalion and teachings about angels and metaphysics. I believe God/the Universe/the Creator is found in many belief systems over many millennia. My beliefs can be conveyed as - I believe in Love, I believe in Christ, and I believe in Love, Hope and Faith. Later on in June 2015, I met my partner Carolina through the Internet and since then we have staunchly stayed together, two twin flames fighting for Freedom and taking care of each other. My dream is to one day lead the biggest societal revolution the world has seen.

In the following years, I encountered very much abuse and unhealthy treatment at home, mostly in the form of emotional and verbal abuse but also neglect and sometimes physical abuse. My father sunk our family into tens of thousands of dollars of debt due to his hidden opiate addiction. He was always in and out of rehab, and in the 9 month period that I was always attempting to run away/was sent to mental hospitals, he was also homeless or living with another addict in Redding. After my third runaway attempt, I was browsing /r/SuicideWatch and, by the world’s craziest coincidence, found his suicide post.
My mom is emotionally abusive and picked up narcissistic traits from my grandparents. They kicked me out twice, first to my grandma’s and the second time to Job Corps.

Last edited:

Pokebert

Spiritual Nomad
Reaction score
Website
reddit.com
[CONT.] On July 25th, 2016 I joined Job Corps in San Francisco. I started at the lowest point of my life, with only a radio and earbuds, my clothes, and some sentimental belongings. My dad pawned off nearly my whole video game collection, and my mother was holding my phone hostage. I was also flat broke and almost totally isolated, banned from communication with my twin flame (her parents and mine were both complicit, threatening restraining orders despite not actually threatening or harming anyone). Through much help from my godmother and through keeping myself alive despite suicidality, I slowly built myself up again, getting a phone again and recovering in spite of my mental illnesses. This is becoming long, so I’ll speed it up - I sought emancipation as I’d always longed for. After running all over The City preparing my documents, I amazingly got pro-bono help from a youth rights firm in San Francisco, and though two hearings, I actually become emancipated and gained my legal freedom two years after I met my SO! Through Job Corps, I joined a second trade and moved to downtown Los Angeles, where I lived until June 14th, 2018. A few months before that, I stumbled upon a subreddit with no moderation called r/Runaway and quickly was able to become one. Myself and Evo have made it the harm reduction resource it is now. Evo also had the brilliant idea to start an accompanying Discord server where youth could go for urgent help too. Soon after, we made it geared towards vagabonds too. It’s been a great journey since!

This has been a wall of text, but if you managed to read this, I sincerely thank you for taking the time to do so. I’m a super open book, so you can talk to me about literally almost anything. (P.S. If you have tips for fighting self-consciousness due to trauma, let me know! ;))

D

Deleted member 8978

I was diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder back in 1987. It was the worst case of autism I ever faced and it really affected my performance throughout elementary, middle, and the first half of high school. Finally, I was able to break out of the worst part of autism and graduate with honors from my real high school, and I do thank God every chance I get for getting that kind of strength. The downside is that I am not out of my autism completely and the disorder itself never goes away. 36 and still fighting, though! Obviously, that is what we all have to do to achieve another foot step.

Reactions: Pokebert

Pokebert

Spiritual Nomad
Reaction score
Website
reddit.com
Thanks guys. :) I’m also gonna be going vagabonding/hitchhiking indefinitely starting February 15th, making it back to the East Bay in time for my 19th birthday. I’ve already put in my two weeks notice at work, and told coworkers/friends/family about my plans, so I’m excited! I also am likely to go trainhopping with a mentor for my first time on the East Coast.

@roughdraft I definitely try to be. I’ve always had a growth and learning mindset when navigating life, and I share what resources, advice and info I can. I might be young, but I don’t let it stop me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! I had no idea you're based out of L.A.! If you would like to meet up send me a message either on here or on discord! I'm usually skulking around Venice Beach.

We have similar stories, I came out at 13, family wasn't fond of that, had to live in a rough environment and make tough life decisions. It's a rough time for queer travelers, we gotta look out for each other!

roughdraft

Reaction score
@roughdraft I definitely try to be. I’ve always had a growth and learning mindset when navigating life, and I share what resources, advice and info I can. I might be young, but I don’t let it stop me!

ya man do the best ya can yknow what the fuk else is goin on anyway?

age and maturity don't always coincide. need not consider it too much! take care n stay in touch

jimmyf

Reaction score
Welcome, I'm a Bible person myself. I prefer the Old Testament over the new any day though. You should try reading Proverbs and Matthew if you really want a societal revolution. I don't know, I just felt as though Matthew and John had two completely different messages and tones for the reader.

I felt John is where you'll find Christianity's line of thinking, and Matthew was a much more intelligently written book with a totally different message about Jesus. With Proverbs, I just feel that if I live to the guide written, I don't have to deal with my schizophrenia too much. I still have episodes from time to time, but it's helped me a lot personally.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Wow - welcome to STP ... you ... have overcome some challenging hurdles and are succeeding at others! Love to give you a huge hug - but in the meantime - HEY on your upcoming travel plans! Enjoy!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads