Hello from Europe. Heading to Africa soon. NO PAPERS! | Squat the Planet

Hello from Europe. Heading to Africa soon. NO PAPERS!

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently couchsurfing in Europe longterm. I am a former soldier, trying to shake my brainwashing, and re-discover the hippie I thought I was before the military and the hippie that I have always wanted to be. My hair is long, I'm camping, and I'm traveling the world one border at a time. I have been on the road for two years now and I'm heading from central Europe to Africa. The clincher is this. I'm traveling with NO PAPERS of any sort. No identification, nothing but a backpack, clothes, some gadgets and a bit of cash. I have traveled excessively and have been to over 30 countries while I was employed. I planned on doing this for years, but it just wasn't a big enough thrill for a lack of better terms, so I decided that I would do it with NO PASSPORT, no identification of any sort. My name isn't even on a thing that I own. Nothing. Now, I can tell you that this has added a whole new level of thrill to my adventure. I've had some close calls, and some risky situations, but so far after two years and about 12-15 borders including one flight (had a friend who was taking boarding passes) I'm now heading down to Africa.

I'm really psyched that this board exists and would love to chat with anyone who has tips on how to hop borders in Africa, knows how to stow away on ships, or otherwise get around without papers. I have some of my own tricks and would love to converse with anyone else who has like minded interests.

I can tell you this. Life is awesome, and I'm happier than I have ever been in my life. If you want an adventure do like i did and burn your passport. No safety net, no nothing. It really adds some edge to life on the road and it's most of time easier than you think it would be! I've watched Into the Wild as my initial inspiration, but still have not gotten the courage to burn my money. :)

Reactions: scrutable
D

Deleted member 125

dont burn yer money. and try to not take advice from that movie (or the book for that matter). i would say its a pretty stupid idea to go to africa with nothing to identify yerself. like earth said, itll be a blast and whatever liberating and what not...until you have any little bump in the road and somebody wants proof that you are who you say you are. ive never been to africa, but i doubt they will let you slide on stuff that you might be able to easily get away with in europe or in the states. just carry an ID or probably a passport. ide rather show somebody my id then get stuck in a shithole jail in the middle of nowhere.

urchin

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it mate. Africa is a nice place depending on the area, even within the same country, but it can get real risky, especially if you're white (given all the western countries are/have done in the last decade). I would advise you to keep very up-to-date with current events in the countries (I advise sites like allafrica.net, I think that's the site) as that can save your ass or at least make it seem like you are more sympathetic to the people.

I'm not afraid to walk around America without id, though my friends bitch at me for it, but remember you're one of seven billion people inthe world and there's no reason for the people there to "just believe" you are who you say.

urchin

Reaction score
I just talked to my sister-in-law and she said while she lived in Africa (her dad's some high-ranking official or some shit) there were great places to go but even for her family it took about a week-and-a-half to get out of the continent WITH papers. It's definitely not something with which you should take lightly.

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the warnings. You are correct, this a game of playing for keeps. It's not for the squeemish, which is why I only use cash internet cafes with no camera's on the walls and proxy servers to login to this site. (no joke) I wouldn't recommend doing any of this if you're a criminal. I have never had so much as a speeding ticket, so if anything happens, I just claim I lost my papers or that they were stolen. Simple.

So thanks for the warnings, but when I have been there and done that several times. In past years when I had papers, my friends and I used to hop the border from South Africa to Mozambiqe to go drinking. When I was a kid, we would hop over the border to go meet girls in Gaborone because of the idiots at the border post. They're both still quite porous borders. When I was in Tanzania, I used to hope from Kenya to Tanz routinely through the bush. Now that everybody has decided that they wouldn't do it, has anybody any ideas on HOW to do it? .....That's where the conversation gets good.

Reactions: scrutable
Reaction score
I just talked to my sister-in-law and she said while she lived in Africa (her dad's some high-ranking official or some shit) there were great places to go but even for her family it took about a week-and-a-half to get out of the continent WITH papers. It's definitely not something with which you should take lightly.

Your sister might have had other issues, I left South Africa 3 years ago, with a tourist visa only (same as almost everyone else) and I left just as easy as hopping on a flight. So you got some bad information I think. I have many many friends in Zim, Bots, Zam, Namibia, and SA and they fly in and out with nothing but a passport and a stamp. However, that doesn't really help this subject.

urchin

Reaction score
I told her your reply. She said to make sure you take care and "have fun with that".

I seriously hope you take care and don't run into any trouble. I'd hate to log on or turn on the news and hear about someone with no papers in Africa getting into big trouble.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads