Hello from BC, Canada! | Squat the Planet

Hello from BC, Canada!

hobokeegan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm Keegan. I'm 16 years old and I've been lurking here for a few months, but tonight I finally decided to create an account. I'm only in grade 11, but for the past while I've been considering a nomadic/hobo lifestyle as I find it very appealing. I would pursue this lifestyle right when I graduate from high school. Now I know it's not a perfect lifestyle, but does a perfect lifestyle really exist? No. I think a nomadic lifestyle is much more appealing than going to university for four years and then slaving away at a monotonous job for the rest of my life.

Anyways, I am really eager to test out this lifestyle to see if I really like it or not (I am guessing I will love it). Sooo, I'm planning to travel after the school year is over -- which is the end of June -- until the beginning of the next school year, which is the beginning of September. I'm not sure how far I will travel, but I will travel as far as I can. However, I'm not going to be going to the US for the time being -- I'll only be travelling in Canada. Although, I would love to go to the US after high school. My main method of travel will be hitchhiking, as hopping trains at my age may not be the smartest thing. Plus, I don't know if I'll meet anyone on the road that can teach me to do so. So yeah, I will be getting around by hitching rides. StP members, if any of you are willing to give me pointers or something, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm really excited to hit the road this summer!!!

Also, if anyone would like to meet up with me on my travels this summer, that would be amazing!!!

Thank you for reading!

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey... thanks for posting.

Mr. Spicy Cabbage^ is verily correct. You seem bright and articulate. I deffinately encourage you to definatley finish your education.

As for Travel... yes it is something interesting... only a few years older than you I did the military route... eh... that had it's plus and minuses but I do not regret the experience and knowledge it produced for me as far as different people and cultures.

I'm not a traveler right now for some stupid reason... aye, just a STP Hermit... but in time.

It's very refreshing to see someone your age approach this life choice carefuly.

Be safe dude and have fun on your adventures. Lots of cool and weird folks out there so keep one eye squinty and don't let anyone treat you a fool... but also find the good and embrace life.

That is all... I have to say.

hobokeegan

Reaction score
Hey... thanks for posting.

Mr. Spicy Cabbage^ is verily correct. You seem bright and articulate. I deffinately encourage you to definatley finish your education.

As for Travel... yes it is something interesting... only a few years older than you I did the military route... eh... that had it's plus and minuses but I do not regret the experience and knowledge it produced for me as far as different people and cultures.

I'm not a traveler right now for some stupid reason... aye, just a STP Hermit... but in time.

It's very refreshing to see someone your age approach this life choice carefuly.

Be safe dude and have fun on your adventures. Lots of cool and weird folks out there so keep one eye squinty and don't let anyone treat you a fool... but also find the good and embrace life.

That is all... I have to say.

Solid advice, friend. I was actually thinking of going the military route, but for now, I am against it. I'd rather just live a simple nomadic lifestyle. I don't know your story, and you might not be able to at the moment, but you should totally start travelling again!

Maybe I'll see you on the road someday...

Reactions: Odin

fallingseastar

Reaction score
Fuck the military route.

The road is probably the best source of education for people coming out of highschool. Just today I was speaking with a friend the 40 second judge of character that only comes with hitchhiking and your life depending on being able to trust yourself taking or not taking a ride. Woah, nothing else can teach that. Or what about fucking being miserable on the side of the road its some bad weather and no one is picking you up but all you can do is breath? That is some Buddhist shit right there, teaches you a lot about stress and how well it's up to you if you can make it through the hard times. How about losing some gear and needing to make shift some shit, or coming up on a place that isn't perfect to camp in and you need to improvise.

There is a lot to learn from the road, a lot about yourself and how you can do things for yourself.

Journey on dog.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Many paths wind through brier's and thorns.

I agree there is a lot more to learn from the road. But those 40 second snap judgments are not exclusive to hitchhiking... if anything I would say its a sixth sense and sometimes you have it sometimes not... and the margin of error can decrease with time and age... hopefully.

Last edited:
Reactions: OstrichJockey

Billy Cougar White

Reaction score
Welcome, my fellow BC dwelling future nomad. I'm also from BC, done a fair bit of hitching, and am gna start hopping soon. All the best with traveling, and life in general

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads