Helllllo from Winnipeg.

cricketonthemove

Reaction score
Yeah man. Once the weather breaks and quits pissin I'll be leaving. I got an awesome kickdown from the old couple that got me here and no schedule so it means not havin to get wet.haha

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
RUNNOFT, I'm living in Winnipeg too, and I like it as much as any other place I've been too, this side of the pond. Of course, I've never squatted or traveled in the winter. It's a place of friends and family and places to crash and familiarity to me, so that might be a part of it.

I'm willing to bet that most people love to hate the place that they live.

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
The weather is on it's way in those parts. Head west, for fuck sake, HEAD WEST!! Just remember...there will be no more dirtydog to bus your ass out of Winterpeg once the snow flies. The Yank owned company cut inter-city bus service in Manasnowba, and Northwestern Onterrible till a few people freeze to death. Don't fucking let it be you. I try to be west of Calgary by Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving (the Canadian Thanksgiving is in mid October) is also the best day for Panhandling I find. Last time I got stuck in a city on thanksgiving, I made over 200 in 3 hours. I was able to buy enough blood anti-freeze to get me out to the rain coast.

cricketonthemove

Reaction score
caught a ride today from Virden, Man. to Swift Current, Sask with a family thats part of Twelve Tribes: The Commonwealth Of Israel who were coming from their "community" in Winnipeg......caltwentynine, I meant to throw you up a message while I was comin through northern onterrible, but I wound up hookin' up with another kid headin' west around Thunder Bay. Sorry man, hope you can make it out!

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
The weather is on it's way in those parts. Head west, for fuck sake, HEAD WEST!! Just remember...there will be no more dirtydog to bus your ass out of Winterpeg once the snow flies. The Yank owned company cut inter-city bus service in Manasnowba, and Northwestern Onterrible till a few people freeze to death. Don't fucking let it be you. I try to be west of Calgary by Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving (the Canadian Thanksgiving is in mid October) is also the best day for Panhandling I find. Last time I got stuck in a city on thanksgiving, I made over 200 in 3 hours. I was able to buy enough blood anti-freeze to get me out to the rain coast.

WHAT? Since when did they cut the line? Hmm...maybe it's because for about what should be a 30-minute drive East out of Winnipeg, there's construction on the "trance." Or maybe you're thinking of the fact that a new terminal was built at the airport, and the old one that's right downtown is gonna be abandoned? I'm pretty sure they're already running something out of the new terminal, and apparently shuttling people to and from some places in downtown. When I bussed from the Poo (reflective of not being able to hitch out of there), the bus seemed pretty packed and worth the trip for the dirty dog to continue.

RUNNOFT

Reaction score
RUNNOFT, I'm living in Winnipeg too, and I like it as much as any other place I've been too, this side of the pond. Of course, I've never squatted or traveled in the winter. It's a place of friends and family and places to crash and familiarity to me, so that might be a part of it.

I'm willing to bet that most people love to hate the place that they live.

yeah i guess you're right, winnipeg is an alright place, i just hate being here i guess. probably the being stationary/commitment thing that gets me.

heading west for winter is a damn good idea...

RUNNOFT

Reaction score
WHAT? Since when did they cut the line? Hmm...maybe it's because for about what should be a 30-minute drive East out of Winnipeg, there's construction on the "trance." Or maybe you're thinking of the fact that a new terminal was built at the airport, and the old one that's right downtown is gonna be abandoned? I'm pretty sure they're already running something out of the new terminal, and apparently shuttling people to and from some places in downtown. When I bussed from the Poo (reflective of not being able to hitch out of there), the bus seemed pretty packed and worth the trip for the dirty dog to continue.

Greyhound IS infact cutting it's service in Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario...

Greyhound drivers and staff in Manitoba are bracing for layoff notices later this week.

A spokesperson for the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1374 told CBC News that about 200 employees have been told to expect the move by Thursday or Friday.

Stuart Kendrick, senior vice-president of Greyhound Canada, is flying to Winnipeg this week to meet with in the provincial transportation department about the planned cuts in service.

Greyhound Canada dropped a bomb on Sept. 3 when it announced that unless it got $15 million in government aid, it would cease passenger bus operations in Manitoba and northwestern Ontario because it was being forced to operate unprofitable rural routes without government help.
Politicians say Greyhound's announced service cuts are a tactic to squeeze money out of governments.Politicians say Greyhound's announced service cuts are a tactic to squeeze money out of governments. (Nam Y. Huh/Associated Press)

Passenger service in Manitoba will end Oct. 2 and routes in northwestern Ontario will stop operating Dec. 2, Greyhound said, though parcel shipping will be unaffected.

The service cuts would kill 30 jobs in northwestern Ontario, according to the Amalgamated Transit Union.

The ultimatum has greatly concerned politicians from smaller Manitoba communities who are worried they will become isolated if the bus routes serving their towns are cut.

Officials in Manitoba have said they want Greyhound to reveal which bus routes are unprofitable before offering the company any subsidies.

The company, a subsidiary of Dallas-based Greyhound Lines Inc., also said it is reviewing its operations in Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, the Yukon and Northwest Territories.

The company is the largest provider of intercity bus transportation in Canada, serving 700 communities with 1,000 daily departures. It also operates in Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

In August, Greyhound opened a new, $6.3-million bus terminal near Winnipeg's international airport, about eight kilometres from an older facility in the same area.

At the time, Greyhound had planned to run its 48 daily trips to places such as Brandon, Man., Calgary and Minneapolis, Minn., as well as its courier business, from that terminal.

When Greyhound made its announcement in early September, Federal Transport Minister John Baird accused the company of trying to bully the provinces by announcing the service cuts. The company was being "heavy-handed" in an effort to get subsidies, he said, and offered no financial aid.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, ok. Yeah, though I'd agree the government needs to investigate the profitability of such rural routes, it IS a long stretch. However, the bus was pretty packed when I went from the Soo to Winnipeg. So...as far as them not making money, not sure why the government has to subsidize a 30-hour busride, so ghound can just charge more if it's that big a deal.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads