Helluva ride so far

dirty andy

Reaction score
Life is a trip.

I was born in Syracuse New York but both sides of my family have lived in Pennsylvania for a long long time. Where I'm from its cow town all day, cattle and corn outnumber the people hardcore. My father has been railroad since he was twenty, welding box cars in renovo pa before working on grind trains on conrail, speno, some shit up in Canada and etc. when I was 12 he quit, and tried doing factory work, construction and etc but when I turned sixteen he couldn't handle that type of work anymore and got in as a signalman on Norfolk southern, which is where he works today. He quickly instilled in me a love for the trains and the outdoors at a young age. He's the oldest guy on his signal crew by 20 years but still the first one in the ditch with a shovel, truly hardcore.

Punk rock and radical politics hit me like an uppercut in high school, more so after I got locked up for a fight with a senior in tenth grade. Spent two months at CCYC for terroristic threats and simple assault in centre county and was not allowed to return to my shitty high school that whole year. When I got out, I remained on house arrest until my sophomore year ended. I had nothing to do but read read read and play all day on the computer. The resentment I had for being ripped out of my home for defending myself for once in my cowardly life is still there. I had never been in a situation like that until then~ask the staff if you can tie your shoes, tell the staff when you come within six feet of them or behind them, do what we say or you get slammed, thrown in your concrete box and click go the lights.

When I got out and was on house arrest for five months all I did was read about another way. Rocker, graeber, stirner, proudhon, bakunin and even uncle karl. It all seemed closer to the truth than anything I got taught in school, and I was pissed about a lotta shit. And then came the punk rock, in a tsunami. Loved it all, wanted to see it, be around it and listen to it all, all of it. Probably the depression coupled with my rebellious hormones and acne but it all made sense and I loved it and still do.

But after the politics and punk rock gave me a little meaning I encountered my biggest pit fall. The drugs. Man did I love small town drugs. There was nothing to do and few friends so we did anything and everything we could find. My mom was a drug and alcohol counselor at pen state so it was another way for me to secede from anything my parents wanted me to do, and man did I do it. I ke

Reactions: wizehop

dirty andy

Reaction score
technology and smart phones are not my friends and his is more long winded than I intended at first but I got nothing left to do on an hour drive home.

Short version is I fell in love with drugs at the wrong time, tried going to college at pen state and got expelled for being a liberal arts major caught in the chemistry labs with my Israeli comrade mixing up and laying nbomes. After school was not an option I never came back home. Not for a long time anyway. I got mad addicted to opiates which eventually lead me to dope and the needle. I started staying outside when the few college buddies I had got tired of putting me up and dealing with me when I was dope sick. It was all parking decks and underground garages, as well as some roof top spots that were pretty boss. State college is big enough I could sneak around and get high and do my own thing with no apartment, and I also started spanging then and there, when the money was gone but I stillll needed my fix to be well. It was a blur for another four months after I was expelled, but then I got in trouble again for disorderly conduct and public intoxication, but I ran back to my home county to avoid another hearing and another judge. That was the first time I hitched too.

When I was back to a place I relatively knew, I just wanted to leave again. Girls came and went, some good some bad, fell in love a few times and tfucked it up cause I was a junkie. There was one girl I met there that I dated for two years, thing was she lived far far away, 129 miles in fact, from my stomping grounds. Of course I told her I'd find a way, and always did, to see her frequently. Over the course of our relationship I must have hitched twenty times from mill hall to Franklin county, a long long journey and I suppose that's how I cut my teeth for real on traveling. I loved it even when it was fucked but I met so many cool people getting picked up that that, along with spending time with her made it worth it. Learned so much more after I got outta school and started traveling than I ever did at uni. Shit fell out with her tho, and time had passed but I ended up right back under the same bridge in mill hall that I started at.

The drugs got worse and so did i, but I met a few friends from high school that were doing the same things I was, then I met another girl, living out of her car at the time named kc. She had never done anything like hat and had her own story, but I was down to keep rapey truckers away from her. Chased her around partying and using for six months and we started dating. Been the best open relationship I ever had now I been with her for two years. She got me off dope, kept me locked in her car and tended to my sick dumb ass. Still to this day I know she saved me life.

We work now, stacking some cash and living with my other buddy soc in a tiny apartment near my hometown. I didn't think after four years of not working is ever be able to hold a nine to five but I'm grinning through it to accomplish some synthetic plans. We travel still but it's not the same I miss it and I know that if I start back up again heavy it will be better cause I'm off dope. Just went to centralia for a minute and that was a crazy ride. Made me wanna go further again haha it's probably my job making me feel all old and jaded.

These forums are awesome so are all of you. That's my fractured life story after a nine hour shift in the five guys cheeseburger mines. Get at me I like to do shit when I'm not working and I'm thinking bout taking a sabbatical anyway for a minute. Lol I'm finally on these boards after lurking on other peoples laptops for a long time. Life is a trip, imma take another one soon.

Happy trails, rails, don't salt no snails.

Reactions: Mankini

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
One fucking awesome intro woman!!! I'm glad you kicked the habit - and getting life going again in a better direction. I'm glad you are enjoying the site - lots to offer. Lots to look at and think - dam I want to go there. I kinda got entralled here by reading some of the stories and then viewing people's blogs and pics and more stories and especially URBAN EXPLORE! Oh I love it. My old friends are like - what the fuck is up with you but dam that is cool. Cool cause I get out and do it. :D Loving it. Housed up I am with 3 cats and a bf but I'm a couch surfing person who takes them in -- and then plans <wrings hands> for my next adventure. Enjoy!!

Reactions: Mankini and Kal

dirty andy

Reaction score
One fucking awesome intro woman!!! I'm glad you kicked the habit - and getting life going again in a better direction. I'm glad you are enjoying the site - lots to offer. Lots to look at and think - dam I want to go there. I kinda got entralled here by reading some of the stories and then viewing people's blogs and pics and more stories and especially URBAN EXPLORE! Oh I love it. My old friends are like - what the fuck is up with you but dam that is cool. Cool cause I get out and do it. :D Loving it. Housed up I am with 3 cats and a bf but I'm a couch surfing person who takes them in -- and then plans <wrings hands> for my next adventure. Enjoy!!

haha imma dude that me in the middle with my buddy soc and our girl casey jones but we just call her Nibbler. She's about to sign up here too I got her hooked a while ago we just all are technology impaired really. She has lots to talk about. We took that picture in centralia. Killer spot.

Reactions: Mankini and Kal

Art101

Reaction score
Glad your off the sht man.Great intro,Im sorta forced of the road these days but am so ready to catch out in 2017.Any ways welcome and enjoy.

Reactions: Kal

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
That's my fault @Tude !

You're too used to me. ;)

At the other Andy, welcome and yeah, what an intro!

Sounds like you have lived to the fullest.

Welcome to StP!

Reactions: Kal

Kal

Reaction score
Awesome intro!!!! Welcome to S.T.P have fun and be safe.

• Useful
Reactions: dirty andy

Sip

Reaction score
Dude, centralia fucking rocks. I was out there earlier this summer. Drove my car like 80 down the shut off highway. Going to PA in 8 days to kick around, Spange a bit, and do some hiking. Welcome to the site, brother.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads