Heading out on my summer voyage soon. | Squat the Planet

Heading out on my summer voyage soon.

T

The Other Koala

I made this profile a year or so ago, and I never actually ended up going anywhere. Now, I'm finally doing it. I've got the opportunity, I'm getting my car fixed up, and its summer.
I'm here in the introduction section in order to hopefully build friendships with other dwellers and people who used to be dwellers, who would like to meet at some point, and meet up to exchange stories and advice, and go on hikes or whatever/ exchange stories and advice, as well as laughs hopefully/ and to find folks who know of job opportunities that are good for dwellers, or enjoy teaching dwellers valuable new skill because they have nothing better to do and are just cool like that.
I'm a musician too (bass, piano, guitar, hand drums, whatever) so if you have tips on busking, I'm all ears. Oh actually, even better, if you want to busk TOGETHER, I'm up for that. My playing style is all impromptu, adaptability, and emotion. So if you perform structured songs I'm your guy.
I currently live in Oregon, and I will be going down to Monterey, CA on May 21st to go on a beach camping trip with a bunch of friends. Planning on taking highway 1 down the coast. Never done that. Super stoked.
After the camping, I'm going to drift around that area for a bit. Definitely going to the Redwoods. Then I'll either go to southern, CA, and trip around there for a bit, or go straight to slab city, and then figure it out from there. I've always wanted to go to Arizona, so there's that.
If anyone sees this who is super handy with cars, and wouldn't mind teaching me a thing or two about mine it would be greatly appreciated. I'll do some work for ya if ya need it. Maybe you work on cars independently and want to recruit an assistant to help you fix a junker? I'm really sick of being car dumb.

So yes, I suppose I'll cut it off here. Can't wait to see what kind of responses I get.
Lots of Love to you all from me, Zack.
Thanks for reading! ^___^

D

Deleted member 16034

Ooooooooh I would advise you to not go into Slab City any time between May-October (Except late October is usually kosher). Especially if you're from a more Northern state like Oregon (Which is actually where I'll be for the next week).

Welcome! The best jobs for travelers are usually construction, anything in the gigs section of craigslist, busking, flying signs, making stuff, and art.

What kind of car do you have?

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Yeeaaah, don't go to Slab City right now. It'd be a waste of gas and resources. It is in the middle of the desert and if you're not acclimated to the conditions before going into them it could be legitimately hazardous to your health. Not in a "oh this heat is uncomfortable" sort of way but in a "shit I have to go to the hospital due to heat stroke" kind of way. From what I hear a handful of people will drive all the way out there just to stay for a few hours before leaving, so yeah, just wait until the winter. It's a great place to see in the winter.

Other than that welcome again! Rubbertramping has to be my favorite way to get around these days. I'll be heading out to central California-ish in the beginning of June so we may just cross paths!

T

The Other Koala

I grew up in central California my the first 19 years of my life, so I do know how it is to an extent, and although I have become adjusted to Oregon weather a tad, I'm still a lover of super intense California sunshine, and am so looking forward to being in it again. But I should probably listen to you guys, so I will hold off and hang on the coast longer.
So is Arizona off the table too? Haha, I was hoping I would be able to do it. I am a very optimistic person, and tell myself as long as I have lots of water, and sun protection, I'll be okay. I've always wanted to go to Arizona. I love wide open expanse. Maybe i could just roam around the trifecta area where Nevada, Cali, and Arizona meet, that would be not so oven-ee?

And my car is a 1998 Volkswagen cabriolet automatic, and its convertible. :3

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
The Slabs are located in south eastern Cali, at about 300 ft below sea level. It can get up to 130 degrees during the summer, which is no joke. Arizona, well I guess it depends on what part you're going to. The tri-state area shouldn't be too bad if you're up for it, I would suggest a tent rather than sleeping in your vehicle though. That probably goes without saying haha.

I just all around avoid the southwest during the summer but that's just me personally, I'm not a fan of extreme heat or extreme cold so I kind of migrate with the seasons. South in the winter, North in the summer. Of course, I can only give my perspective based off of my own experiences, you might be an entirely different kind of traveler. Hell, one of my best friends is the entire opposite of me in that they actually go out and actively seek extreme weather, because that's what does it for them. They also are insanely good at survival and have been living in extreme climates for years now, so experience is a factor in their ability to wrestle with those environments.

Optimism can get you far but there's a fine line between being optimistic and arrogant. Please be safe out there.

Reactions: MolotovMocktail
D

deleted17310

I agree with everyone else on that slabs, doit. Just wait 5 more months. There is rainbow nationals in Oregon over July 4 weekend, great place to meet people. Maybe after your camping trip you just slowly move nprthward. Besides if you decide living out of a compact car is your thing you won't be far from home. Good luck.

N0MAD

Reaction score
I made this profile a year or so ago, and I never actually ended up going anywhere. Now, I'm finally doing it. I've got the opportunity, I'm getting my car fixed up, and its summer.
I'm here in the introduction section in order to hopefully build friendships with other dwellers and people who used to be dwellers, who would like to meet at some point, and meet up to exchange stories and advice, and go on hikes or whatever/ exchange stories and advice, as well as laughs hopefully/ and to find folks who know of job opportunities that are good for dwellers, or enjoy teaching dwellers valuable new skill because they have nothing better to do and are just cool like that.
I'm a musician too (bass, piano, guitar, hand drums, whatever) so if you have tips on busking, I'm all ears. Oh actually, even better, if you want to busk TOGETHER, I'm up for that. My playing style is all impromptu, adaptability, and emotion. So if you perform structured songs I'm your guy.
I currently live in Oregon, and I will be going down to Monterey, CA on May 21st to go on a beach camping trip with a bunch of friends. Planning on taking highway 1 down the coast. Never done that. Super stoked.
After the camping, I'm going to drift around that area for a bit. Definitely going to the Redwoods. Then I'll either go to southern, CA, and trip around there for a bit, or go straight to slab city, and then figure it out from there. I've always wanted to go to Arizona, so there's that.
If anyone sees this who is super handy with cars, and wouldn't mind teaching me a thing or two about mine it would be greatly appreciated. I'll do some work for ya if ya need it. Maybe you work on cars independently and want to recruit an assistant to help you fix a junker? I'm really sick of being car dumb.

So yes, I suppose I'll cut it off here. Can't wait to see what kind of responses I get.
Lots of Love to you all from me, Zack.
Thanks for reading! ^___^

'ello and welcome,

dem some honest folk 'er, I'd parrot what other people have said about not going to the slab in the summer,if you haven't acclimatised it can be lethal.

i know a bit about mechanics as do most trampers on here, What are you looking to learn?
ATB keep on travelling,

Nomad

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads