1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Headed for the Slabs

Discussion in 'United States' started by adventurekid, Nov 13, 2017 at 4:52 AM.

1. adventurekid

adventurekid Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    Cashier
    Address:
    Pittsburgh, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +28 / -0
    hey guys. So I'm headed for the slabs this December over Christmas break. I've been doing research and all just trying to prepare the best I can. For all of you that have been there if you have any important things to know or any advice, let me know. This will be my first time heading out west!

#1 adventurekid, Nov 13, 2017 at 4:52 AM
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 10:12 AM
  2. Cornelius Vango

Cornelius Vango Celebrated Poster

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Chief librarian at Slab City Library
    Address:
    Slab City, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +579 / -15
    bring your own water and food and haul out your own trash

3. Spider Tempura

Spider Tempura Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Address:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    Radical Self Reliance

In addition to making sure you can feed and water yourself its nice to gift a few of the permanent residents. Extra water, booze, medical supplies, needed resources (not your trash, just cuz empty glass bottles may be useful doesnt mean anyone actually wants them.. unless someone is building an earthship, in that case bring a truckload of tires too lol). Smokers love smokes.. bring an extra carton for one of the elders to pay respects for them keeping the art space manicured n such.

Whether you are going camping on public lands, communes, squats or wherever the golden rule is to not be a burden, clean up after yourself, and respect others even though you may not mesh with them. Make damn sure you have proper rated bag, it can get cold as fk out there esp at night. Bring 5 times the wood you think you need to keep warm, dont worry you could always burn the extra.

Things i like to gift are tools, zippos, fuel wick flints n fuel, quality large fabric bandaids (hosp/ems grade or bandaid brand tough strips), same style knuckle bandage, newskin / crazy glue / good tapes, gauze, sutures, antibiotic cream, betadine, etc.. also pallets.. soo useful, and if you are too drunk to find a use they make good bonfires. Its gettin cold out there so fire and maybe a 55gal burn barrel predrilled with bullet holes and whatnot. Food is always a good gift especially in winter months. 50lbs of rice and 20lbs of beans will feed a nice sized group for awhile. Weed is legal out west so im sure any weed is welcome just ask a local what spaces are straight edgeish so you can not be a bother to the puritanz. If possible ask the locals if anything specific is needed and bring that for gifting. Maybe someone has a busted ride and needs a part, maybe they short on motor oil supplies etc.

• Like Like x 1