Headed Back to the Slabs...

D

Desert

Alright, so I have had this yearning to return to the Slabs. This time, however, I am looking to set up a "permanent" home base. I was hoping that anybody who has been out there in the few weeks can update me on what the situation is out there. Is there still some space left to build? I know it gets a little crowded in the winter...

I am also looking for suggestions on what I might need to bring with me. Suggestions on what might help to make the place a destination for drifters like myself. I want to create a place that welcomes all travelers and discourages the Babylonians from stopping in.

If anyone has a way to contact Cornelius, please pass that info along. If anyone wants to join in, donate or knows of a place to find some needed resources...let me know.

I want this place to be completely unique and surreal. I want a fairytale land in the desert. I welcome any information...

D

Desert

You can grow just about anything you want out there...water is the problem.

I'll be setting up a decent sized farm, if I can find a space to do so.

D

Desert

If I can keep it filled with wine, crusties, doogles and pirates...they will stay away. They generally don't like bonfires and naked hippies either. These are among my favorite things...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
@Cornelius Vango has an account on here she checks every once in a while. you should also keep in mind that everyone pretty much leaves by the end of august if they're not a year-rounder, and that's because it's when it starts to get hot as fuck out there. remember summers can get up to 125 degrees.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
Desert!! Hoidy Shit!!

Greetings & fucking Go You..!

hope yer well..

things are interesting on my end..
dunno when i'll get back to the slabs.. the 1st visit with the jambo was great.. thanks for letting me give you a little bit of a ride,,

if i can, before doing the stint, i think i'd like to visit the library again..

dunno what Cornelius is doing, there in the day to day, but when i get a little more settled, soon, i should be doing what i can to help from a distance..

hopr you've been ok, buddy..

john

D

Desert

Thanks for the link Matt...hopefully she'll be able to get back to me. I was looking at heading out there in about a month. I don't want to get there and find that the snowbirds have all the places taken for the winter.

Creature!! Man, where have you been? I don't think I'll forget that ride. If you head back out there I'd love to fucking see you. This time I'll cook you dinner...

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
it's the ocean or desert.. one or the other..

unless i can somehow make a home in the Sky : )

working on Plans : )

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
@Cornelius Vango has an account on here she checks every once in a while. you should also keep in mind that everyone pretty much leaves by the end of august if they're not a year-rounder, and that's because it's when it starts to get hot as fuck out there. remember summers can get up to 125 degrees.

Actually, they get up to 130. And 95% of people who say they're going to stay permanently end up leaving, which is great for us because they usually leave behind cool shit to raid. You might have strong resolve but when you brain starts overheating during the first heat wave and you get the fear, you'll be in such a panic that you'll leave in a damn hurry. Once your brain gets like that, you kind of go into animal mode and there's no such thing as reason.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Actually, they get up to 130. And 95% of people who say they're going to stay permanently end up leaving, which is great for us because they usually leave behind cool shit to raid. You might have strong resolve but when you brain starts overheating during the first heat wave and you get the fear, you'll be in such a panic that you'll leave in a damn hurry. Once your brain gets like that, you kind of go into animal mode and there's no such thing as reason.

agreed, i've only been out there in 115 heat at most and that was pretty fucking uncomfortable. can't imagine 125 or higher.

roguetrader

Reaction score
damn that's hot, we work in Celcius so I converted it over - 130f is 54.5c !
there's a big travellers site near Orgiva in the South of Spain and most people skeedaddle for the same reason come early summer... fuck that I burn switching a light on.... are there any large bodies of water near the Slabs ? I been in Pyrenees in 115f, spent every day at the local lake....
(I just googled hottest place on Earth - the Lut Desert in Iran got up to 159f (70c) in 2005 - might stop moaning bout the English weather)

Brent smith

Reaction score
You can grow just about anything you want out there...water is the problem.

I'll be setting up a decent sized farm, if I can find a space to do so.
I know how to grow in the desert without alot of water. My uncle passed down the knowledge to me. And to my astonishment No One knows about it.

D

deleted user

She's been on fb recently too, if you haven't heard from her you could message her there. And I wish you safe travels dude, sorry I didn't make it out to Nola in November, that month was noth but dog shit. 600$ towards my car just to have it blow up and burn on the side of the road

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads