Have you ever been treated more than nicely by law enforcement? | Squat the Planet

Have you ever been treated more than nicely by law enforcement?

K

Kim Chee

OK, I know some of us have had some pretty bad experiences with law enforcement and its pretty easy to bad-mouth them. I want to hear about the other side of the equation. Has any law enforcement officer gone out of their way to be nice to you? If so, please share!

images

bryanpaul

Reaction score
so one time me and my ladyfreind got pulled off a train in greensboro NC...our car stopped right under the lil tower and the yardmaster comes out and says "you guys better go, the cops are on their way"...so we hightail it out of the yard and find a loading dock to sit on....here comes the cops driving around with spotlights..they see us.....so theyre runnin our names askin about our story and we'r tellin em we were headed to lynchburg VA....the one cop gets on his cell phone and is talkin to his wife and says that when he gets off duty he could maybe give us a ride towards that way.....so him and his partner dive us as far as the county line to this lil gas station and a couple hours later him and his wife come and give us a ride 1/2 way to lynchburg, like 45 miles(90 total for them) @10:00 at night :) ...they were gonna take us THE WHOLE WAY...but it was kind of awkward, us stinkin like whiskey and funk and talking about our 100% illegal life on the road...but yeah....never saw that one coming.......

one more kinda funny one: we're hitchin toward pensacola and i think we had basically got told to "get walkin" in mobile...so a cop pulls over and says he'd give us a ride as far as he could...well i guess at some point i had set our bag of beer down too hard on the pavement...cuz when he dropped us off there was a PUDDLE of beer in the back...he was all smiles about it
good idea for a thread by the way

K

Kim Chee

There have been a couple of times that I was hitchhiking and was given rides either to civilization or out of their jurisdiction.

On another occasion, I lost my ride just south of Marysville, CA. My train pulled into the siding and another train was already
stopped (crew told the sheriff where I could be found). Crew were cool about it, Sheriff said it was a first for him (nobody
gets off at that siding as there is nothing there). After running my info, he says get in the car and on the way into town
he tells me his dad used to ride trains in the 30's. We chatted while he took me to where I could get back on another train
headed back to Roseville so I could make another shot. I'm sure I've had other positive interactions, but these are the
instances that come to mind now.

whaleofashrimp

Reaction score
there was this time back in 2005 hitchinhg on the 40 in az...this local gave me a ride to a rest area..prob was the rest area was on westbound side and i was heading east..so i just hung out read my book and smoked meth with passing truckers. this bald dude in a pickup kept pulling up glaring at me and splitting soon afterwards...after bout an hour he came up to me and started talking to me..we talked for about half an hour..turns out he lived up the road and was just checking the place out cause a trucker got robbed there the night b4. he invited me back..i said why the hell not. as we pulled into his garage there was a highway state patrol cruser..he told me he was a leutenant! so i crashed the best i could while spun out..next morning he gave me a 45 minute ride to gallop..bought me a steak and egg breakfast and kicked me 50 bucks...ive had other positive interactions with cops..but all OUT of uniform..the uniform mutates them.

P

Pheonix

walking down the interstate between Indianapolis and Chicago Indiana highway patrol stopped me, after running my name he dropped me of at a truck stop 30 miles down the road and kicked me down $20.

walking up the 101 Ventura county deputies stopped and ran my name, gave me a ride down the road a little ways and dropped me off saying "welcome to Santa Barbara county"

there was 2 big goofy looking cops in Columbus,OH that were always nice to me. the first time I met them was after some bullshit police raid on littering, when they called the patty wagon to take us to jail they were the wagon cops and apologized for what just happened to us and told us that the city council gave the police department orders to arrest the homeless on anything they can and that's why we're going to jail. after that I kept being polite to them in conversation and they always showed the same respect to me. sometimes they would let me know witch squats are hot and stuff even showed me and a friend the video of his 130 pound junkie ass being arrested by 8 big cops when he was having a bad trip on some PCP laced LSD. but I've always assumed they were being nice to me as a "good cop" routine so I was always careful when talking to them and every time they would start talking about drugs I would change the subject.

Everymanalion

Reaction score
One time i got kicked out of a mall for criminal trespassing when i was younger, i went back to that same mall thinking they would not recognize me(i was 19, stupid i know) i ended up being arrested and all this stuff but when the cop came, i was calm, respectful, didnt argue and she took me around the corner away from the mall security office so it looked like she was booking me to them and pacify the mall cops and she just let me go and actually came and got tattooed by me 3 weeks later at the shop i was working at haha. I will probably get flak for this but even if a cop is coming at you aggressive and you act polite and fake it til you make it sort of attitude most of the time they will just let you go with a warning. Its the sighs, eye rolls and dramatics that get them riled up. Respect equals respect, even if yours is feigned.

Reactions: Kal

Alaska

Reaction score
A cop once only hit me a dozen times before arresting me compared to the normal 20 and a half. Wacky eh? True story, though.

Everymanalion

Reaction score
I just hate when people subscribe to that generic neo liberal diatribe about police when they have not even had an encounter with one other than on their 16 birthday getting caught drinking behind their highschool. Most cops are on power trips, yes. Most cops are totally shitty people, yes but you have to look at the context, all about perspective, i hate people who mention to me "dude! i was smoking meth in a crackhouse and these cops busted in and hauled us away! fuckin pigs!" like its their fault you chose to do some illegal. Some people need to take responsibility and not throw a pity party, woe is you, its everyone elses fault, never yours.

Reactions: Kal

sons of vipers

Reaction score
Once got pulled over for going like 15 over the speed limit, and their was some liquor in the glove box in a water bottle which I had forgot about. None of us were drinking, and also none of us were of age. I was honest with the cop, and he ended up just pouring out the vodka, and then letting us go without even giving us a speeding ticket. It was rad.

SickOfDodge

Reaction score
riding from cheyenne to denver had a bag of ramen the whole trip n no smokes. when i get off in denver i go up the street n kick it in front of this gas station bought a pack of smokes and ask this cop about pit laws in denver cuz of my poochy poo. she tells me its all good as long as i dont live there. she proceeds to ask me if im hungry goes in the back of this mexican resteraunt grabs me a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee fuckin enchilada and my dog like 10 hamburger patties and fries and like 4 water bottles and then comes back asking me if i didnt like the food all mad concerned. all this happend with her in uniform she was a cutey bootey too wink wink nudge nudge

Nemo

Reaction score
I was 17, had a warrant out for my arrest. Entered the car peacefully and cooperatively which gained me the luxury of no cuffs. Guy lights up a cigarette and I'm jonesin' for one since i just got up. I ask and he asks my age. I reply 17 and he says, promise not to tell? Passes one back thru the grate and we just smoke and talk the car ride to the magistrates office. That's about all I can think of.

I haven't really had terrible experiences with the police. Some are very prideful and egotistical in thinking that the general populace of my area doesn't know the law or their rights (which most of the time turns out to be true) In that regard I've been hassled and searched and felt the tension teeming between the two of us.
But nothing too hectic.

exstinksean

Reaction score
when i was living in peterborough,ontario(small town NE of toronto),there was this one cop that was alright. there would always be a bunch of us drinking by the river,and knowing that i didnt have a drivers licence, and had no intention of paying the ticket,would always write it out to me, instead of giving one to everybody. he would laugh about it,and not make us dump our booze.in ontario the only thinkg they can really do about unpaid drinking tickets is take your drivers licence...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads