Haiti

scatwomb

Reaction score
I just found out this morning I am going to be teaching a permaculture class for 10 days in Haiti. After the class is over, I want to travel around for a little bit. Does anyone here have any resources or knowledge they could share? Either based on personal experience or whatever. Or does anyone have friends who have spent time there?

Also, if you have links to some infoshops or anything like that, I would really appreciate it. Considering all that has happened there over the past decade, I know there are radical groups, I just don't know anything about Haitian anarchists.

I speak shitty French and will start studying Haitian Creole....TODAY.

Margarita

Sunset Follower
Reaction score
Ooh jealous! I want to go back to the Caribbean so much! That's really awesome. And teaching permaculture, too. Sick.
Aside from admiring and excited noises and slang phrases, I don't have much to offer you when it comes to Haiti though. xP
I lived in the USVI for a time... just a hop skip and a jump from the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico... depending on where in Haiti you are, they could be several hundred miles away from you though. I just recommend island-hopping in general. It's really fascinating how each island has its own distinctive character, even though they all share the same amazing climate and natural beauty.
Well I guess good luck getting the actual information that you're looking for. :p

scatwomb

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on island hopping! It would be really great to be able to travel from island to island and experience their unique character. Is it affordable? Are there ways to make it more affordable (free?) that you are aware of?

I'm really excited to hear and speak Haitian Creole! Like all creole languages, it's this weird mixture of all these disparate sounds and forms...so cool!

Margarita

Sunset Follower
Reaction score
Yeah that Creole sounds like it'll be fun and rewarding to learn!
I can't advise you on free island hopping, but I know that ferries on popular routes are often inexpensive, and I bet if you look clean and straightedge you can solicit yachters who are going from island to island. Marinas are all pretty accessible as far as I know. If you spy some party goers and bring em a cold 12-pack I'm betting you won't have too much trouble scoring a ride. But I have yet to get personal experience with that kind of travel so let me know how it goes eh? :p

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads