1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Hacking Greyhound

Discussion in 'Other Forms of Travel' started by Fred R, Feb 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Fred R

Fred R is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Oshkosh, WI, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +20 / -1
    I'm hoping none of you work for Greyhound bus lines and hope more desperately none of you are the police. I'm going to tell you about my travel hack. I'm the first person I've met that has used this technique. It's arguably unethical and surely illegal. Im talking about photoshopping and reusing Greyhound tickets.

About a year ago I ended up passed out drunk in a Safeway in 5 cities, California. A homeless coalition in Santa Maria picked me up and bought me an eticket to Traverse City, MI. (The address on my license at the time). When I got to Grand Junction, Colorado, I left the bus, went to the nearest library and scanned the ticket. I photoshopped the ticket. I changed the destination to Durango, Colorado. I saved it to the cloud. Ever since I've been traveling all around the country with the same ticket.

Of course I worry that some day I'll get caught. The drivers don't inspect the tickets thoroughly. I've done it at least 15 times. It's usually a last resort. I recently spent 8 miserable months in Portland entertaining resorting back to my technique. Now I've managed to hitch to Springfield, Illinois. I hate this place. Tomorrow I'll probably use the same technique to go back west to Denver.

I just wanted to share this thing I've been doing. I don't want this to be common knowledge. But I still feel an indescribable urge to share.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Kim Chee

I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    What happens when the driver lets you board, turns the tickets in and it is discovered there is a fraudulent ticket before you get off the bus?

A company which treats their paying customers so poorly has a lot of practice at making people miserable.

btw: Greyhound brass do have internet access and can find your post themselves.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Fred R

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +20 / -1
    Of course I've thought of it but no trouble has come thus far. ill tell ya if i end up arrested tho

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kim Chee

I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Safe travels.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick StP Founder, Admin, and travel addict
    Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Professional Adventurer
    Address:
    Slab City, CA, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +8,072 / -54
    You know, just because people disagree with you or your theory is disproven, doesn't mean you need to delete the content to avoid embarrassing yourself. It fucks the thread up for those that want to read it in the future.

Content restored.

• Like Like x 4
  6. FrumpyWatkins

I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Lol yes Matt!

Fred, this is not a new thing. Similar things exist with other companies boarding passes as well. I think the only reason you won't be prosecuted is because riding greyhound is punishment enough hah!!

Seriously though buck, things like this are not meant to be discussed, but you're about 12 years too late on bragging on the internet about theft of services. I am actually surprised this is still working for you with Greyhound, I've been told otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vagabond82

Vagabond82 is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Artist
    Address:
    Little Rock, AR, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +37 / -2
    Most of the time the driver does a quick glance over the ticket to where you're going, and puts it with the rest. But of course if you ever do get caught, the biggest worry you will have is a forgery charge however very small chance of that happening unless they decide to scan the barcode.

• Like Like x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    Fred R

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +20 / -1
    I didn't deleted it because someone disagreed. I did it in haste because I was drunk (as of usual lately). I found a similar thread and didn't want to be redundant. So yeah shamefullness was there but because of my paranoia about how sloppy I was being.

9. Kim Chee

I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    I'm not sure how it happens, but I'm guessing the driver eventually turns in the tickets.

Fuck that entire company, go buy air fare...it isn't that much more expensive than Greyhound.

10. DuHastMich

DuHastMich Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    freelancer
    Address:
    Kokomo, Indiana, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +99 / -2
    I think (and this is probably rhetorical) that the only way someone would catch on and entertain holding you criminally liable is if you mass produced these with different people's names on them, you know, selling them on the side for spare cash.

Not that I'm suggesting you do so...it's just a theory.

11. PixieStar

PixieStar Just signed up

Achievements:
    Address:
    New York, NY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    If they did turn in the tickets, can you imagine how many that would be...and who would have to verify them etc? From my past experience in greyhound trips usually they won't even look at my tickets near the end of the trip. I could have gotten off at a different station if I wanted or go all the way to the end of the route.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Hillbilly Castro

Hillbilly Castro Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Tramp
    Address:
    Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,013 / -9
    exactly. $39 tix from Pittsburgh to Las Vegas on Frontier.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Epic Epic x 1
  13. moonwalker

moonwalker Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    n/a
    Address:
    Show Low, AZ, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +144 / -0
    I may use this to my advantage, if it works. Thanks for the tip!

14. Will Wood

Will Wood Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    caregiving, gas pumping, delivery driving,,
    Address:
    Portland, OR, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +92 / -2
    Be careful of a full bus. You may end up without a seat and then they will look more closely..??

15. blumerang

blumerang Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Apprentice Vagabond
    Address:
    Lawrence, KS, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +6 / -0
    Will Wood Be careful of a full bus. You may end up without a seat and then they will look more closely..??

That's what I was thinkin...I'll look into this and see if it still works for people.

16. marmar

marmar Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Bum
    Address:
    Denver, CO, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +93 / -2
    Photoshop skills turn out to be very useful. I wish I had that knowledge. But just paid someone to do Some Photoshop for my foodie case. You can go far with Photoshop man. Can someone organize a free workshop on how to use it, that d be dope

• Like Like x 1
  17. Laylamiller

Laylamiller is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Newark, NJ, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    I......do this with airport tickets just so that I can sleep in them during inclement weather. About to do it tonight. I've never tried the greyhound thing. I did this with megabus a long time ago though.

18. daigtohue

daigtohue is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Philadelphia, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +6 / -1

this is my email: [email protected]
    send me an email. I need to tell you something that I can't post on this board.
    it's important.

19. daigtohue

daigtohue is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Philadelphia, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +6 / -1

this dude on this site called. DuHastMich

his family owns the greyhound company.