guy busted living in cave 11 years

thunderson5

Reaction score
guy was living in a cave for 11 years before he got busted.some local turned him in,said they saw a suspeciuos camp sight,what,anyways they gave him a year probation and banned him for life from going into that national forest didnt even know they could do that.atleast they let him go back and get his stuff,escourted ofcourse by the forest nazi"s and when they got there they asked him if he had any weapons in there and he had a bb gun and some knives abd they went in and got them before letting him back in to get his stuff,wow.in my opinion they should have let him live there till he died.this was in flagstaff arizona.the people who turned him in should get there ass kicked

genghis braun

Reaction score
dayum. kudos to that guy for living there that long. fuck snitches! that dude wasn't harming anybody.

Reactions: Kal

jabbyscabby

Reaction score
dayum. kudos to that guy for living there that long. fuck snitches! that dude wasn't harming anybody.

Seriously .......FUCK YA FUCK YA,
I want to give that guy a handshake. I dont see any wrong in what he is doing!
I wonder if these people thought they where helping him!! Because there fucking idiots!

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
Damn, I feel sorry for that guy! Now he has no home after 11 fuckin years, fucked up man

Reactions: Kal and kidbob

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
fascism is alive and well.

genghis braun

Reaction score
that's fucking ridiculous. like you can kick someone out of a national forest because someone owns it or something...

well, in the government's eyes, THEY own it...though I personally I think that land ownership is a pretty fucked concept

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
A similar story up here. I sometimes think things are different up here...for some fucked reason. I'm usually awakened to the fact things are not...

Couple living on Crown land told to tear cabin down

Couple living on Crown land told to tear cabin down

By Robert Koopmans, Kamloops Daily NewsAugust 25, 2009Comments (16)

KAMLOOPS — It has taken Tony Smith two years to build his cabin.

He dragged the logs from the bush with a yoke and the strength of his legs. Then he and his wife Judy lifted each one of the 1,000-pound beasts into place with an old boat winch.

For the couple, the cabin will be a massive improvement from the nine-by-12-foot canvas-wall prospector’s tent they have lived in on Greenstone Mountain for the past two years.

“It will be nice to have a wall that doesn’t move,” Smith said, looking every bit the proud craftsman. “This is my home.”

But it sits on Crown land.

Smith said it was like being kicked in the chest when two government workers showed up Sunday evening and told him he had 30 days to tear it down.

The two officials, a conservation officer and a compliance officer with B.C.’s Integrated Land Management Bureau, rolled in and told them someone had complained about their set-up. They told the Smiths they would also have to pull up their tent.

“They were civil,” Smith said. “He said it was policy. He said we couldn’t be here. That’s all he would say, that’s all he ever said.

“It’s policy.”

It’s a long path that led Tony, 63, and Judy, 53, to the small landing off the Dairy Lake forest service road 14 kilometres up Greenstone Mountain, southwest of Kamloops.

They married 17 years ago and have lived and worked in a number of B.C. communities. He’s a mechanic by trade and she has worked in various fields, including social work.

Several years ago, Judy’s health deteriorated — Tony describes her as a “fragile diabetic” who struggles daily to maintain her blood sugar levels — and she couldn’t work any more.

He said the stress of trying to keep a job and look after his wife at the same time was too much. He chose to stay at home to care for her, as he could not afford to pay for a home nurse.

The couple did their best to live on Judy’s disability pension but after rent and utilities, there was nothing left. The only rentals they could afford were often dirty and run-down. Landlords did nothing to fix what wasn’t working. They tried to find social housing. They were offered waiting lists.

“The system and the support services were never really there when we needed them,” he said.

After a couple of years of living poorly, Tony said he “started looking.” He cruised the backcountry until he found the overgrown road leading into the trees to the small knoll overlooking the valley below.

There, he and Judy staked out the prospector tent with its canvas walls and wood stove and single bed. They laid down a wooden floor and started cutting firewood.

“I asked myself, ‘What can I do to make sure I had heat and a reasonably clean place to live,’” he said. “I’ve worked in the bush before. I’ve lived like this.

“This is it.”

Without rent to pay, the couple’s income goes further. The money is tight and requires careful managing, but both say they have just enough to get by.

It’s tough living, especially in the winter. They have to shovel their 500 metres of road to the main road by hand, so Tony can get his old Ford truck out to town to get supplies once a month.

But Judy says her health has improved, although she can’t explain why. Maybe it’s the lack of stress, she said, or the cleaner living. She still has diabetes and tests her blood regularly, but she does not have the same problems she once did.

They are happy, they said, with a better quality of life than they had living in Kamloops. They have more food, are warmer and feel more secure.

And then the officials showed up.

Tony said he’s not looking for anything from anyone. He doesn’t want money or donations. He just wants to be able to stay where he is, to live in his cabin and look after his wife.

“We took responsibility for our situation, we solved our homeless problem, we fixed it ourselves. We didn’t throw it on the backs of the taxpayer,” he said.

“I’m home. This is home to me. They can come and rip it down around me, I’m not leaving.”

He stands on the roof of the cabin and points out the impressive view, with Crown forests stretching as far as anyone can see.

“With all of that space, I don’t know why we can’t stay here,” he said.

Officials with the Integrated Land Management Bureau could not be reached for comment.

Kamloops lawyer John Drayton said there are no so-called “squatter’s rights” in B.C. and there never have been. According to the law, the Smiths have no right to build a cabin as they have done, and the government has every right to tear it down.

If the Smiths press the point, Drayton said it’s likely the government would seek an injunction and eventually call on the RCMP to enforce it.

Drayton said he’s not so sure the government can demand they remove their tent, referring to a recent B.C. Supreme Court judgment dealt with the City of Victoria’s bylaws governing “tenters’ rights” in city parks.

That case may have some bearing on the Smiths’ situation, although it’s difficult to know how it would be interpreted if applied to these facts.

“They have no right to construct a cabin on Crown land,” Drayton said, “although many people do it, sometimes for many years, because they go undetected.

“They do it by the grace of God, for as long as they go undetected.”

Kamloops Daily News

Reactions: Kal and kidbob

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I feel vicious.

It's those at the bottom that find reason to rise up.

In time.

V for Vendetta.

Reactions: Joshicus

Kal

Reaction score
To hell with the government, oops I meant tyrants, what ever happen to freedom? I wish I could time travel I would go back to the 1800s back then you could go where you wanted and camp where you wanted.

Reactions: Odin

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
To hell with the government, oops I meant tyrants, what ever happen to freedom? I wish I could time travel I would go back to the 1800s back then you could go where you wanted and camp where you wanted.
and if someone stole your shit or seriously wronged you, you could just fuckin shoot em and that was that.

D

Deleted member 2626

Man I've always said I was born too late. I can almost feel those days deep down in my mind. Their have always politics and stuff but yeah you could disappear legally and not be arrested for living off the land

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@skillpore that post in the zerocurency blog on money oneness and division is epic.
Real good commentary on monotheism and cross religion similarities.
Thanks for sharing I am gonna have to keep up.

Reactions: skillpore
H

Harmonica Bruce

Say what you want, the only reason we HAVE forests is because we don't let people just squat on them. If we did, we'd have no forests. Why not BUY a little land and build a cabin? You know, or should know, that if you build a cabin on public land it's going to be torn down.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads