Greetings

jaded

Reaction score
Website
vandrarem.wixsite.com
Hey there, just another 20 something trying to breathe a full breath.
Here are some words, about me I think.

No glorified origin story, but, I don't want to be a whiny tit about the hardships that shaped me either. But, it's been more than enough experience of what "normal" is supposed to be. And I'm done.
I have moved around for the first 12 years of my life, being a military brat with very conservative, Mormon families on both sides. When my parents couldn't be in the same room anymore, we moved away and I ended up Stockton. For you lucky few who have not been, it is a unholy union of a swamp and a desert, with suburban spackling, crimes, and rotten drugs in the gutters. I have been trying to rip myself out of for eight years. Whether for better or for worse, I developed pain syndromes, mental illnesses, and started excessively catering my own "setbacks" while wildly dreaming of the "Alexander Supertramp" life. When I dropped out of high school to finish a mural, I think I started to realize I did not have to pursue the cement path of "success" my family wanted me to be on.
I went houseless for two months, rubbertramping up and down the West Coast one winter, absorbing what I could by meeting interesting travelers and home bums. It was a good learning experience, though cut short to fly to Madagascar to see my partner, who had been teaching there for eight months. After that, I tried to turn my energy into restoring this piece of shit city. In which our naivety was rewarded with failure and flagged surface level relationships.
I never allowed myself to dive into traveling. I may have traveled, but I don't believe I've really traveled. I traveled carrying my ties like a tangled ball of yarn that tugged me back at the slightest jerk. I still have sticky feet, and it is incredibly frustrating. I cannot figure out the roots that keep me standing here instead of walking. Maybe these innate fears I have, of not having enough money, the perpetual delusion that I will not be prepared unless I have X or Y, or having been told my entire life the detailed grisly deaths of solo female hitchhikers. And today I think, within reason, it's a crock of shit.
There is so much in this world that is worth experiencing, worth tasting, worth feeling, and I've been placated into keeping myself numb for so long that it feels like my nerves have been blunted with hot tin. I've realized that the only think keeping me apathetic, listless, and depressed is myself. The only thing keeping me here, is myself.
Oh, how it is too fucking easy to dwell of the fears of the unknown, but, I have been there before. That one place where you feel the hot wind blowing across the desert, covered with grit and juniper, with this crazy liquid blue sky above you. It was like a sip of something electric, and I have, in a way, holding myself from what I know I'm going to be doing anyways. But the longer I wait, the more extreme and limited my resources become, and the scarier it feels in my mind because of the slowly depleting "valuables".
So that is the over-analyzed state this site found me. So many interesting things to learn about!! Feeling pretty fucking hopeful going through stories and the repeated message "Just get up and go".
In two weeks, I am moving away from the shadow of my families and known company to Oregon with my partner. While he lays down some foundations for his own homestead, I think I'm gonna go for a long walk....
I hope I do.

Last edited:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Wow - that is one fucking heartfelt intro - welcome, welcome, welcome to Squat the Planet!!! We have all the resources here - and people to bounce questions off of. And please do ask us if you cannot find the info you need - do be careful and enjoy your freedom. :)

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Reaction score
Agreed very heartfelt intro. Safe travels. Still never made it to the Pacific northwest. Meant to this time out but ended up in Texas enroute to nola lol. Gotta love the unpredictability of life on the road. Good luck though! With all your future travels!

jaded

Reaction score
Website
vandrarem.wixsite.com
Wow - that is one fucking heartfelt intro - welcome, welcome, welcome to Squat the Planet!!! We have all the resources here - and people to bounce questions off of. And please do ask us if you cannot find the info you need - do be careful and enjoy your freedom. :)

Thank you so much!!! I'm super happy to be here! I will definitely be taking advantage of all these threads on foraging and travel gear. And, I will be as careful as I can without missing too many opportunities. Haha, thank you again :) Cheers!

jaded

Reaction score
Website
vandrarem.wixsite.com
Agreed very heartfelt intro. Safe travels. Still never made it to the Pacific northwest. Meant to this time out but ended up in Texas enroute to nola lol. Gotta love the unpredictability of life on the road. Good luck though! With all your future travels!

Haha, such a wayward path, I love it. I hope you get a chance to see the West Coast sometime! And thank you!! :)

D

deleted user

welcome to our community!

take a deep breathe and jump for the stars, dear; you may not always have the chance to breathe.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads