Greetings to everybody!

Stovetop

Reaction score
Hey all, my name is Steve. I'm approaching 26 years old, and I've worked tirelessly in retail for over six years now. Years ago I wanted to ditch the life I had and go travel, unfortunately it was a bad time in both my and my mother's lives. I was horrible depressed, and her brother was dying. Now that I've gotten older, I've also gotten smarter, wiser, and mentally better. I had almost forgotten my dreams to travel until I stumbled about r/vagabond, and now I'm here. The urge came back strongly after taking a road trip down south from my home in Michigan.

I don't have many friends here, and (though I love them) I'm not close with my family either. This coming spring, I'm going to be selling my car and home along with whatever unnecessary possessions I have left to start doing what I truly want and putting that money away if I want to rejoin society. I know that some people have the concept that if you don't go now, you won't. But I am dedicated to this for many reasons. I want to grow closer to nature and to people, and if the feeling comes around find a place I feel like I can truly find home. I also want to be a positive influence on the things that I can while on the road, may it be working, volunteering, or just helping people who I am able to.

I've read threads here since I've signed up, and hope to meet some of you when I have things here in order and finally step out myself.

zed

Reaction score
Hey all, my name is Steve. I'm approaching 26 years old, and I've worked tirelessly in retail for over six years now. Years ago I wanted to ditch the life I had and go travel, unfortunately it was a bad time in both my and my mother's lives. I was horrible depressed, and her brother was dying. Now that I've gotten older, I've also gotten smarter, wiser, and mentally better. I had almost forgotten my dreams to travel until I stumbled about r/vagabond, and now I'm here. The urge came back strongly after taking a road trip down south from my home in Michigan.

I don't have many friends here, and (though I love them) I'm not close with my family either. This coming spring, I'm going to be selling my car and home along with whatever unnecessary possessions I have left to start doing what I truly want and putting that money away if I want to rejoin society. I know that some people have the concept that if you don't go now, you won't. But I am dedicated to this for many reasons. I want to grow closer to nature and to people, and if the feeling comes around find a place I feel like I can truly find home. I also want to be a positive influence on the things that I can while on the road, may it be working, volunteering, or just helping people who I am able to.

I've read threads here since I've signed up, and hope to meet some of you when I have things here in order and finally step out myself.
29 here and feeling the same way, man... Good luck!

Thomas Walker

Reaction score
Hey Steve! Welcome to StP, where I'm sure you'll find all the friends you could ask for.

Similarly to you, I had the urge to get free on a road trip. My family flew out to Las Vegas this summer and we put about 3,000 miles on a rental car driving all over the western US. I spent the whole 2 week trip gawking out at the gorgeous mountains and deserts and forests. Its definitely on my bucket list to find myself back out there sometime.

I enjoyed hearing about that financial plan of yours. I'd thought about that as well at some point, but since I have no source of income I can't really start that. For now, I'm just saving a dime here and a nickel there, buying things that I'll need on the road, and wishing for day when I can just leave.

Hope to see you out there someday!

Reactions: Mikadamus

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads