Greetings from Short bus dwellers | Squat the Planet

Greetings from Short bus dwellers

Travellinchat

Reaction score
Hello! My girlfriend and I just sold our rusty van and bought a scorched short school bus. Beginning to run into money issues and are going to find ourselves broke in the heart of the Utah area soon. We’ve got about a thousand in cash and are not looking to go to work. As I just got done commercial fishing in Alaska for three months, (as did she, except her boat sunk.. leading to trauma and ptsd) we’re young. Both of us are 21, and have a sense of life others can’t relate to. We’re nomadic beings at heart and don’t like sticking around more than a few weeks. But we need some advice- where should we squat? Any temporary jobs we could get for a month to travel on?? Also just wanted to get into this community! Sooo, thanks!

-Caleb & Mia

Attachments

• 007BF44F-8013-4DD0-B536-9DDB6AA7D7D2.jpeg
    007BF44F-8013-4DD0-B536-9DDB6AA7D7D2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 285
Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
As @Maxnomad stated, trim jobs are abundant right now. We're pulling ours within 10 days roughly, I imagine most people will be puling around that time as well. Figure 4-6 days hanging, I'm sure by about the 20th a ton of people will be looking for trimmers, if not sooner to help with pulling. It used to be a lot easier to find those jobs. In NorCal it's pretty saturated by Hmongs. They work hard and they're trustworthy. A lot of growers are hiring full Hmong teams, second only to people they know.

It seems like the trimmigrants take third place in landing those gigs, far more often than not the pretty female trimmigrants because a lot of growers are also douchbags. It's super hard for an average American sounding person to land one of those jobs but it happens occasionally I guess. Just post up in the parking lot at Ray's Food Place in Garberville and talk to the dudes with the Toyota Tundras with the dusty dirt caked tailgates and see if they'l put you on. Or any other location that's known for grows.

Good luck finding something.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ok, since you are new, and young, I will let you in on this inside but of info...

....please use the search feature on this website. Everything you have asked and more is answered all over this website.

Other than that, I am also building a van right now in Utah. Where are you folks located in the state? I'm down in Canyon Country near Hanksville.

My advice would be to work while you are building it out. It's not like you have to work forever. Just enough to build your vehicle and bounce. I worked a season for the Park Service, and that gave me enough money to buy, and semi build the van (insulation, Solar, Fan, Lights, Bed...). It also gave me unemployment for a few months after that to finish the van and live on the rest.

There are so many places to boondock/squat in Utah it's ridiculous. Just look for some BLM land. As far as money, look at ski resort jobs for thewinter, there are a few in utah. Or hit up a gas station, or a restaurant. Like I said, it's not forever.

Travellinchat

Reaction score
Ok, since you are new, and young, I will let you in on this inside but of info...

....please use the search feature on this website. Everything you have asked and more is answered all over this website.

Other than that, I am also building a van right now in Utah. Where are you folks located in the state? I'm down in Canyon Country near Hanksville.

My advice would be to work while you are building it out. It's not like you have to work forever. Just enough to build your vehicle and bounce. I worked a season for the Park Service, and that gave me enough money to buy, and semi build the van (insulation, Solar, Fan, Lights, Bed...). It also gave me unemployment for a few months after that to finish the van and live on the rest.

There are so many places to boondock/squat in Utah it's ridiculous. Just look for some BLM land. As far as money, look at ski resort jobs for thewinter, there are a few in utah. Or hit up a gas station, or a restaurant. Like I said, it's not forever.

We arent even in Utah yet, just got into montana last night. Headed toward the Kanab area for a couple weeks I suppose. We spent some time there last spring on a fine piece of BLM land and it was perfect. Just didnt find a water source nearby. And were pretty much halfway done with the build. We traveled the states last winter in our van, then found a short bus a couple weeks ago and moved our shit out of that into the bus. Found some pallets, cut em up, stained them then put em up on the wall. Looks pretty ghetto but we just want to zen out for a little bit before getting back to work. We dont need anything fancy or super neat right now. We found a tiny woodstove in Springville Utah that were gunna install and then we'll be temporarily done with the build... you say theres plenty of boondocking spots in Utah though? Do you have any favorites or suggestions? From what I've gathered you can only stay for 14 days right??

Reactions: Coywolf

Travellinchat

Reaction score

Like I said halfway done... still want a couch and seats for a hangout room

Attachments

• 15703932290482857298051134605196.jpg
    15703932290482857298051134605196.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 242
Reactions: Coywolf

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads