Greetings From North Georgia.

Matlock

Reaction score
Hello all. I am fairly new to this community and am thrilled to travel. I have never hitchhiked before and want to learn as much as possible before heading out. I have several friends that are rubber tramps and work seasonal jobs. I am currently working for the Japanese tire manufacturer Toyo Tire. I make decent money and the benefits are awesome but I get bored easily. I am working here until about March or whenever Hepatitis C treatment is finished. I started my treatment yesterday and it lasts 8 weeks. I contracted it through sharing needles. I have been sober for a couple of years now. Traveling is the highest high in my opinion. I have a solid work history. Grew up on a farm and plan on trying my hand at the Alaskan fishing season this coming summer and hike around South America and WWOOF for next winter. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks and stay safe.

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
Hey dude, welcome!!

I am currently wwoofing the winter away and plan on hitting the road again just as soon as I can manage to do so without freezing to death ;)

Good luck with your hep treatments. Get yourself out there! Fuck boring, soul sucking jobs. They're only good for one thing- saving up cash to TRAVEL WITH!!

Cheers. Happy New Year!

Matlock

Reaction score
Yeah I've been in the workforce since I was 12 so I'm looking to do something different now. Went to film school for a couple of years and realized that too is a waste of time and money. I enjoy hiking, camping, and most of all rock climbing. Looking for like minded people and to stay out of trouble as much as possible.

Applelatchun

Reaction score
Hey Matlock and welcome to the world of travel! I was coincidentally browsing Alaska's craigslist and came across this post. I'm sure with more research, one could find better paying opportunities up there, (ad says $11 / HR plus overtime) but this is a phone number post and could be useful to save in your contact list. The link's below and just in case link doesn't work for you, here's the contact name and number:

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/lab/5929144465.html
"Estela" (907) 440-9396 Kodiak, Alaska

T

travmhid

Hold onto those past work exp references! They'll really come in handy. For years I was self-employed in an illegal occupation that I can't list on resumes, and that has definitely come to bite me in the ass. And if/when you start hitching in GA, just remember that it's not always that easy. KY-GA is the easiest hitching in the country, imho, except maybe for 101. I'd rec you for a farm job in Dahlonega 'til Alaska hits but I think the owner moved back to Atlanta...

if you do pass through that area, though, hit up Farmhouse Produce. They know all the local jobs. I had no shortage of work last time I passed through there, 'cause the rumor grapevine operates at lightning speed. There's also a guy up near Springer Mountain who works with the local NA/AA group(s) who'd no doubt be more than willing to hire you.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hey welcome to STP - we have a lot of info here in our subforums as well as the resources link at the top of the site. Also, we do have a member here @railroadron (he is not on here much but I can contact him through facebook) who is still in Anchorage and he has written and posted info on the fishing industry in Ancorage (seach for posts from him) and I do think there may be another member who posted on the fishing industry - that post may also be in the resources section too just because we've had several people inquire about it. And hey - good luck too!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads