Greetings from Canada, Eh! | Squat the Planet

Greetings from Canada, Eh!

ruckrambler

Reaction score
Hi, everybody!

Long time listener, first time caller.

I've been lurking around the forum for about a year now, always interested in what other travelers like to use in terms of equipment on the road, as I'm a bit of a gear junkie.

I first started hitchhiking back in 2012 when I wanted to travel from Southern British Columbia to the Yukon Territories, I didn't save any money so I hitchhiked out of necessity and fell in love instantly. Since then I can't really manage to stay in one place for any longer than a year before I start getting the "cabin fever" and I have to get back on the road. Last summer I left BC to hitchhike across Canada as I had never been East of the Rocky mountains, ran out of funds and food in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I'm a professional cook by trade, so I got a job at a restaurant here, met a lovely lady, and got stuck. Lately though, I'm feeling more and more inclined to get back on the road, as I still need to reach the East coast, and explore the maritime provinces.

I check the forums often here, and always enjoy reading your crazy posts and comments; excited to be a member now, thank you all for having me!

Cheers,

Paul

Aye! Welcome fellow Canadian!! I have plans to do the same as you did but opposite direction.. east to west. I will probably rubber tramp though. I'm currently in Toronto. If you ever are this way come say hi!

ruckrambler

Reaction score
Awesome! Will do! I think you'll have a great trip out West, where are you planning on heading?? I'm a BC boy and biased but I think the whole damn province is worth exploring. Happy trails

ruckrambler

Reaction score
Tofino is pretty cool, are you into surfing? It's a big surfer town, it's quite "touristy" though, I much prefer Ucluelet, it's all worth seeing though! I'm sure you'll have a great time on Vancouver island!

Reactions: Billy Cougar White

Billy Cougar White

Reaction score
Greetings fellow Canadian! I'm from BC too. My first story on here was a trip to tofino. East coast is amazing to tho. Enjoy nova Scotia and PEI. Great people and scenery

Reactions: ruckrambler

sd40chef

Reaction score
Cape breton island was my favourite part of the east coast....hit up all the maritime provinces minus the "labrador" part of newfoundland and labrador a few summer ago while i was in canada. super easy hitching and really fucking nice nature. the cabot trail seems quite touristy but i never seen anything on that, i just hitched from halifornia to sydney to catch the ferry to nfld. stopped in a few places around whycocomagh and baddeck....lots and lots of berries in the late summer, lots of rivers and beaches and forests and hills.
i will be passing thru thunder bay most likely in the next 2-3 weeks on my bc bound pilgrimage...will you be around? might be worth meeting up

ruckrambler

Reaction score
Awesome, yeah, I can't wait to get out exploring around again. I'll definitely be in T Bay here for the next few weeks so we can probably meet up easy. Just give me a shout on here, I usually check my e-mail daily, we'll grab some tacos or something. Thanks everyone for your welcoming messages, cheers!

Ray Lockwood

Reaction score
2548 NS-329, Hubbards, NS B0J 1T0, Canada
Hi, everybody!

Long time listener, first time caller.

I've been lurking around the forum for about a year now, always interested in what other travelers like to use in terms of equipment on the road, as I'm a bit of a gear junkie.

I first started hitchhiking back in 2012 when I wanted to travel from Southern British Columbia to the Yukon Territories, I didn't save any money so I hitchhiked out of necessity and fell in love instantly. Since then I can't really manage to stay in one place for any longer than a year before I start getting the "cabin fever" and I have to get back on the road. Last summer I left BC to hitchhike across Canada as I had never been East of the Rocky mountains, ran out of funds and food in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I'm a professional cook by trade, so I got a job at a restaurant here, met a lovely lady, and got stuck. Lately though, I'm feeling more and more inclined to get back on the road, as I still need to reach the East coast, and explore the maritime provinces.

I check the forums often here, and always enjoy reading your crazy posts and comments; excited to be a member now, thank you all for having me!

Cheers,

Paul

Love the Coast to Coast am reference! I'm in Toronto, we should link up if you make it down this way. I'm from BC as well and also spent a lot of time in Thunder Bay. Do you busk? I'm working for a landscaper right now as a tree cutter and we could use more hands. He pays cash at the end of the day and it's good pay if you're a hard worker. Also, Kyuss?!?! Yeah, we need to be friends.

bazarov

Reaction score
Starting my eastward (then west again, to Vancouver) journey from Lethbridge, Alberta on the first if any other canucks wanna meet up for an adult beverage or (hopefully) some relaxing herbal smoke.

ruckrambler

Reaction score
Ray Lockwood: Definitely hope we can meet up some day man, I'll let you know if I'm heading through TO anytime soon, let me know if you're ever in T-Bay. Same for you Bazarov, let me know when you're heading through Thunder Bay and hopefully it works out that we can go for a beer or 12. Cheers guys, take it easy!

Reactions: bazarov

sd40chef

Reaction score
Starting my eastward (then west again, to Vancouver) journey from Lethbridge, Alberta on the first if any other canucks wanna meet up for an adult beverage or (hopefully) some relaxing herbal smoke.
Im in moose jaw sask right now...will be catching a westbound train tomorrow...will most likely get off in calgary if you are going up there in the next few days by any chance. i dont drink anymore due to past problems but i would be interested for some relaxing herbal smoke haha

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads