Greetings from a wannabe who is beginning to plan. | Squat the Planet

Greetings from a wannabe who is beginning to plan.

J0hn0b0dy

Reaction score
I am married to the mother of all three of my adult children. I have given up on the idea of grabbing a sailboat and visiting the coastal regions of interesting countries. Despite my wife's opinion, I know how to do lots of stuff that I learned before she & I met. Despite having not done them in a while, I still remember how to sail a boat well enough that it is actually a lot of fun.

Aaaanyhow, I am getting off track. While she is still working, and I am "Disabled" (late stage III colon cancer, that is now in remission, but the lasting effects of the chemotherapy include memory loss, SERIOUS neuropathy pain and my body will break out in stupid amounts of sweat, for no reason.

What I wanna do, for right now:
I want to be able to take my wife on trips without having to grab a hotel when I get tired out from driving. I want to take my youngest son to other states and hunt (wild bore is our favorite, as we can hunt it anywhere, any time, because it's an invasive species)

I am thinking a Toyota Dolphin might be acceptable for my planned mission profiles. It won't be difficult to park at home, at the office (where I still work part time) or the closest WalMart parking lot.

My questions about the Dolphin are just a bit odd.
Is there any ability to mount a hitch to it? I know if I put a hitch-mounted motorcycle carrier on it, it would impede the use of the back door. If I used a small trailer, to carry the bike, it wouldn't be in the way as badly.
Next:
Those who run solar panels, in order to operate the roof air unit; How many watts of solar panel do you put up? How many amp hours of deep cycle battery do you carry for this purpose?
Finally:
Has anybody installed a small propane powered instant hot water heater for the shower yet? I'm running an instant hot water heater on natural gas at home and we love it. If there's a way to bring that hallmark of civilization with me, when we progress toward The Objective (shaking off that ball and chain that is shaped like a house, with an address), I would like to keep any reasonably uncomplicated comforts of home.

Looking forward to hearing from you, and receiving advice on the mistakes I am doomed to make because I didn't see the pit, until I'd begun my fall into it.

travelingheathen

Reaction score
Rubber on asphalt; or dirt, or grass or gravel...
Welcome to the fray. Sorry about that fuckin' cancer, that's some heavy shit. As for the hitch I'd advise checking out the toyotamotorhome.org site for further info on it.
Running the a/c on solar can be accomplished, but it takes a fairly high amount of panel wattage and the same (high amount) in stored battery amps. I'm in no way a pro when it comes to solar but you will want to get your battery/batteries back to (or as close as possible to) 100% everyday. If not, the life of it/them (battery) will be short lived. It will be a chore running a huge load like an a/c. You would probably be better off using a generator for that purpose. If you are completely new to solar you should check out handybob solar on the net. It would be a good starting point.
Good luck to you with your endeavors.

Reactions: Juan Derlust

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
Toyota dolphin is a cool truck. Legendary engine but remember they're getting pretty old by now. They get great mpgs because of the 4 cyl engine compared to the v8 every other RV has but they struggle up hills even without adding a motorcycle and huge battery bank. You might consider a compact v8 driven RV just so you have the power.

While it is possible, it is generally considered unreasonable to add enough solar and batteries to power an air conditioner. You can look up the math yourself but let's just say it takes a whole lot of both to use an a/c even a little. Honestly, there probably isn't even enough space on the roof for the panels or in the sleeper for the batteries. If want a/c, a generator is the way to get it done.

The popular alternative dc powered roof vent fans.

ReekHavoc

Reaction score
Welcome to the fray. Sorry about that fuckin' cancer, that's some heavy shit. As for the hitch I'd advise checking out the toyotamotorhome.org site for further info on it.
Running the a/c on solar can be accomplished, but it takes a fairly high amount of panel wattage and the same (high amount) in stored battery amps. I'm in no way a pro when it comes to solar but you will want to get your battery/batteries back to (or as close as possible to) 100% everyday. If not, the life of it/them (battery) will be short lived. It will be a chore running a huge load like an a/c. You would probably be better off using a generator for that purpose. If you are completely new to solar you should check out handybob solar on the net. It would be a good starting point.
Good luck to you with your endeavors.
You can't mount enough panels to run a roof air on a Toyota Dolphin. Sorry.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Hi and welcome! Congrats on beating the cancer! You rock!

My husband also survived cancer...stage four, aggressive prostate cancer. Then a heart attack.

He's now cancer free and though traveling isn't possible for us now...at least he's alive.

All you ass kicking cancer beaters, rock!

Enjoy your life and have fun here. We're awesome...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads