Greetings and Salutations

Apple Core

Reaction score
TL;DR at the bottom for the lazy.

What's up? Fuck putting my real name out on the internet to strangers - so I'm going by Roadie while I'm here I guess. Maybe I'll loosen up over time, who knows?

I've done some backpacking. I did a 6-month trip to lots of England, Whales, Scotland, Ireland, Holland. Had a good time for the most part. 2.5 months of that trip was spent in the amazing country of Nepal, where I volunteered on an Ashram/Farm WWOOF style, hiked for 10 days in the Himalayas, and explored some of the smaller towns and cities. I got to hitchhike for the first time there as well. It was my first time traveling solo, but even so, I felt lots of family pressure on how to act and what to do and stuff (they were keeping close tabs on me the whole time...), so I feel like I kind of got less than what I really wanted out of it all. It was also planned to be short in duration, for I'm also a college student (we get back to family pressure and my own confusion on what to do with my life).

Currently I'm just about to finish another semester of university - learning how to be a live audio guy (hence the username) while also minoring in philosophy. I'll be doing another year's worth of that before I graduate. And then from there...I have no idea. And that's why I'm here.

Increasingly, I have felt the road calling to me. My heart screams for it. School and my career path seem like a drag to me a lot of the times, and not very fulfilling to myself. A career in general just sounds painful. If I could learn how to live full-time on the road, living cheaply, surviving on my own means, going wherever it is my heart pleases, it would suit me. My philosophy towards life (and death) and how it should be lived makes this seem like the ideal to me. Obviously I know it's not all fun and games, and I would have lots to learn, plan for, and challenges to confront head-on.

I still feel like I'm trying to decide what path to take after university though, and if I should even attempt to live a life like this. If I even try, my career hopes may go up in flames pretty shortly after. If I don't try, I feel like I'll never get the proper chance that I truly crave. It's really a hard debate between the straight life and the life of the road...

What I aim to do while I'm here is to learn as much as I can about how it is one goes about living this kind of life. I've had some minor, minor experience with traveling (not nearly enough or in the style I'd probably be doing it in), have been learning about it through other sources as well before and after my backpacking experience, and aim to continue learning as time goes on. I have a year until I graduate. I hope to have learned enough to make a proper decision by then on what to do. I believe that anything can be done as long as one is smart about it and how it's done.

Other stuff about me: I'm a musician (mainly acoustic guitar - proficient in ukulele, bass, and electric guitar, learning piano, and occasionally dick around with a mandolin. I also like to sing). I've been in a few punk bands and also have an acoustic act that I do. I love to write songs and poetry, but they can be personal at times and not what I would want to do for a living either. I love reading all sorts of things from novels to poetry to nonfiction to whatever I can scavenge for on the internet. I used to say that I was an anarchist in my political leanings (and the good kind - fuck anarcho-crapitalists), and I guess I do technically sympathize with most of those ideals, but I tend to be less active about my politics than I was in the past, and don't quite know what I'd classify myself as these days. I'm vegetarian and teasing the idea of being vegan. What else do you want to know?

I'm happy be to here. This seems like a really cool community. I can't wait to learn all sorts of stuff.

TL;DR
I did a 6-month backpacking trip to a few places in Europe and Nepal. I'm attending university right now but don't quite know what I'll be doing afterwards - contemplating starting a life on the road at that point, contemplating career choices, and it's difficult. My heart definitely wants the road. I'm here to learn about living on the road so I can make an informed decision once university is over for me. I'm also a cool dude who's into cool things probably. Happy to be here.

Jerrell

Reaction score
Welcome! As an audio type, you have more road options than say an accountant. I'd say follow your heart. If the road calls and you know you'll be miserable taking shit off the DJs at a radio station or artists in a recording studio, then hit the festival circuit maybe?

Once you have that degree in hand, go be free for a bit. Find yourself. Those 9-5 jobs will always be there waiting if you decide to hit the mainstream again.

Apple Core

Reaction score
Yeah - I've contemplated figuring out a way to take audio equipment with me where I go as a way to find work within my constantly-changing local area. I think I'd probably be helping run local shows or something like that. Maybe a festival here and there if I can find a way in and out seamlessly. I just need to figure out the logistics of traveling with lots of gear and also possibly storing it for extended periods while I travel outside the US or something. It's possible, I just need the obtain the resources and know-how.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads