Greenhorn rubber tramp heading out in a few months | Squat the Planet

Greenhorn rubber tramp heading out in a few months

kalefice

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm kalefice, or Eric, and I'm getting ready to hit the road in my SUV in the next couple months. I'll be a greenhorn, so I love that there is so much info on rubber tramping and that sort of thing here. I've made some friends during the pandemic who are travelers that I hope to meet up with out there, but I'm definitely looking to make some more connections and chill with some cool people. Currently, I'm based near Tampa, FL. I've never been west of the Mississippi, and I can't wait to see the desert for the first time!

I play guitar pretty well, but I'm not a great performer. I'm hoping that changes on the road. Actually, I'm really looking forward to getting out of my comfort zones and pushing my skills to a new level. I've tried the whole working a job thing for a few solid years, and just really hate the way that system functions. It's fucking demoralizing and degrading as shit. The rent prices for an apartment in Tampa have almost doubled since 2020 (when I left my apartment at the time). I'm so grateful I got out at the time, as I am currently renting a trailer for wayyy less than what my rent would be. I was going to set out on the road in March of 2020, but I put it off because of the pandemic. Now I am ready to go with some skills I've been working on, but I definitely don't know it all - not even close.

Also, I had an old account here, but I don't use that email or something anymore and am starting fresh. (I was a lurker though, so I doubt anyone would remember it lol)

N00neXIll

Reaction score
Hey there dude,
Best of luck to your travels, I've only spent a short time rubber thumping across the country. I got to say if you can land a gig like doordash or Lyft it makes it alit easier, and personally was what I used for income along the way.

It was a fun, and tough time though and really learned a lot on myself. I ain't got too much on the towns, but if ya end up along the north route to Cali.

If ya want to pick questions just hit me up dude. Hope ya travels are well though.

• Useful
Reactions: kalefice

kalefice

Reaction score
I got to say if you can land a gig like doordash or Lyft it makes it alit easier, and personally was what I used for income along the way.
Those are some good ideas. I was planning on getting a seasonal job through coolworks.com to start with, but I hadn't even considered being able to do gig work like those

JayD

Reaction score
Hey Eric, I wish you the best on your journey brother. I've lurked for a bit myself and found so much great info here. Plenty of resources to comb through.

The gig idea while traveling is cool. If I had a vehicle I absolutely would. I've never played the guitar but it's definitely one of the instruments I want to learn in the future though. I've always been interested in it. I imagine you'll continue to build that skill while on the road too.

And you're spot on about the prices in Tampa man. I wish I would of thought about getting into a trailer rather than get robbed every month lol. Luckily I'm about to hit the road, I just need to figure out where I want to go exactly.

I hope your travels serve you well man and may you learn about yourself and gain invaluable skills and great memories.

kalefice

Reaction score
Luckily I'm about to hit the road, I just need to figure out where I want to go exactly.
Oh nice! good luck to you too! It's the perfect time of the year to be getting out of Florida, isn't it? Flee the heat and avoid the storms!

I hope you find somewhere awesome to check out and get a guitar to learn to play. If we ever cross paths, I'll give you some guitar pointers

Reactions: JayD

JayD

Reaction score
Oh nice! good luck to you too! It's the perfect time of the year to be getting out of Florida, isn't it? Flee the heat and avoid the storms!

I hope you find somewhere awesome to check out and get a guitar to learn to play. If we ever cross paths, I'll give you some guitar pointers
Absolutely it is! I'm looking forward to travelling and have much to learn. And I would definitely love to pick up some pointers man! Peace friend.

Shaggy Rogers

Reaction score
Crazy Tampa shit man..too many stories... but anyways.. I had never been west of Mississippi, spent first half of my life in Tampa, second half in Atlanta so I know how you feel about the crazy shit and prices. But I left Atlanta on march 1st, right after I got my taxes back, ended up in Reno. The desert is crazy yet this city is not the worst place to be. But if you're going west just avoid anything north of Mid Texas, it's just flat nothingness and is enough to drive you crazy yo. Once you're past Texas it's easy. But gas prices are insane, I barely made it out here.

Reactions: kalefice and JayD

kalefice

Reaction score
Crazy Tampa shit man..too many stories... but anyways.. I had never been west of Mississippi, spent first half of my life in Tampa, second half in Atlanta so I know how you feel about the crazy shit and prices. But I left Atlanta on march 1st, right after I got my taxes back, ended up in Reno. The desert is crazy yet this city is not the worst place to be. But if you're going west just avoid anything north of Mid Texas, it's just flat nothingness and is enough to drive you crazy yo. Once you're past Texas it's easy. But gas prices are insane, I barely made it out here.
Yeah Tampa is definitely wild. I'll just roll through Texas then lol good tip dude, thanks

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Yeah Tampa is definitely wild. I'll just roll through Texas then lol good tip dude, thanks
when are you rolling through texas? im in austin and i got a couch you can crash on if you need it.

• Epic
Reaction score
Nice. It's a big step to set out alone. It's good that you have a vehicle bc you can set and experience and still have a safe spot for yourself until you learn the ropes a bit bet and you'll meet people on the way you'll learn from. I wouldn't totally give up the work thing. You can get great at guitar and still not make much money in some towns. Having some work experience gives you a back up when things get rough. I've gotten a lot of work on the road that was very rewarding and not degrading and met great people doing it. Sometimes it just gets rough out there but the bad times amply the good and builds experience so try to stay in good spirits and you should do well.
Also check out wiki on all the towns you go to and talk to the locals about interesting places to see. It's a whole big country of beautiful state and national parks. Plus a lot of hidden gems in the cities so take time and get away from your vehicle and you'll see more interesting things and meet more people. I've met a lot of rubber tramps that go town to town just gas jugging and never really see the heart of the places they go.
Go with a positive attitude and people notice. Smile and the world smiles with you. One last tip learn as many jokes as you can, its a great ice breaker. Best wishes in your journey

• Love It

kalefice

Reaction score
Nice. It's a big step to set out alone. It's good that you have a vehicle bc you can set and experience and still have a safe spot for yourself until you learn the ropes a bit bet and you'll meet people on the way you'll learn from. I wouldn't totally give up the work thing. You can get great at guitar and still not make much money in some towns. Having some work experience gives you a back up when things get rough. I've gotten a lot of work on the road that was very rewarding and not degrading and met great people doing it. Sometimes it just gets rough out there but the bad times amply the good and builds experience so try to stay in good spirits and you should do well.
Also check out wiki on all the towns you go to and talk to the locals about interesting places to see. It's a whole big country of beautiful state and national parks. Plus a lot of hidden gems in the cities so take time and get away from your vehicle and you'll see more interesting things and meet more people. I've met a lot of rubber tramps that go town to town just gas jugging and never really see the heart of the places they go.
Go with a positive attitude and people notice. Smile and the world smiles with you. One last tip learn as many jokes as you can, its a great ice breaker. Best wishes in your journey
These are great tips! I really like the learning jokes one lol I know a few, but I am definitely going to put more of an effort towards that. I've thought about learning a few basic magic tricks too. Anybody out there doing magic? :p Checking the town wikipedia is a cool idea too!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads