Graduating from homebum to traveler

AlwaysAwful

Reaction score
I'm so grateful to have stumbled across this website, been lurking for a week or so and this is a pretty kick ass place!

I've always loved the idea of traveling, but haven't ever committed to the lifestyle because of bullshit excuses I've made up to tie myself down. Well, a few months ago I suddenly and unexpectedly became homeless. Ended up homebumming it for about a month, it was kinda boring, but I did learn a lot, and gota a taste for fucking freedom really. I've been housed up in Houston for about a month, and I'm ready to travel. I'm grey hounding to Dallas on Wednesday, plan to stay there for a week or so, and then I wanna try and head to Chicago.

Hope to meet some like minded folk along the way! And any advice is always appreciated, because really, I'm about to wing the fuck outta this.

Last edited:

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

AlwaysAwful

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, and to real life!

I've been through Houston myself; I don't think it's the best place.

If you're able to, you should try to attend the upcoming Dirty Scout's Jamboree! You'll get to meet quite a few of us who are EXTREMELY like-minded.

check out the thread here!

https://squattheplanet.com/threads/official-2018-stp-jamboree-information.35199/
Yes! Thank you! I've been thinking about checking out Slab City when I'm done in Chicago, so this is CLEARLY a sign that I should do that.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yea... I've dragged out the process of becoming a homebum to my past travels to now being a homebikebum... drinker?? something... I dunnno if there is a word for me. HAHA

Anyway I can relate a bit. The adventure is there though. Even around here I am always meeting folks and having a fine ale, a bit of the shire leaf... and a nice nap on an uncomfortable park picnic table XD

Well welcome to STP. If your around rosemont or so when you visit gotham city send a pm if your so inclined.

If it's not Heineken it's at least Milwaukees best... and we play dice here... for Pennies. ::eyepatch::

Also @VikingAdventurer send Mjolnir to Hit me in the fekin hed so I can stumble my way to jambo instead of another winter here!

Last edited:

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
winging the FucK out of things is how mammals learn! #1, be careful & try not to be stupid. Don't abandon common sense, just because you've abandoned dwellings. #2, Have FUN!!! ... #3, there's tons of info on here, if you get stuck - look it up! :)

Welcome to traveling! Welcome to STP! & Welcome to YOUR adventure!! Enjoying winging the fucks out, too!

AlwaysAwful

Reaction score
Welcome to StP! You'll absolutely find those like-minded people you're after here.

Out of curiosity, what forced you out of a home?

My ex and I were renting a room out of his friends house, a couple, and he and his friend went on a really bad binder and basically a bunch of chaotic sketchiness went down and the girlfriend kicked everyone out.

train in vain

Reaction score
I say good call on your decision to make a move. I guess it can be easy to just homebum it and stay put once you figure out whats what wherever you are but i think if you have the option to go then go check some shit out. Id gtfo of dallas asap haha!

Chinook

Reaction score
I was down in Texas. Spending time in Colorado now. It's beautiful and feels like fall! My buddy and his girl are splitting ways with me And headed to Chicago in 2 days to see his dad that's about to pass. I about finished fixing this Acura i just bought, and then I am headed west towards the slabs. Then either Mexico or Maui.

Reactions: AlwaysAwful

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
I was down in Texas. Spending time in Colorado now. It's beautiful and feels like fall! My buddy and his girl are splitting ways with me And headed to Chicago in 2 days to see his dad that's about to pass. I about finished fixing this Acura i just bought, and then I am headed west towards the slabs. Then either Mexico or Maui.

Casual observation would indicate, recently purchased acura unlikely to survive the dampness of a drive to Maui... Perhaps staying continental while driving, for cars sake, if nothing else. :p

Congrats on new car.

Tip for winging fucks out... Regardless of fucks level, driving car across oceans, seas, or large lakes, is generally against all recommendations - manufacturers or otherwise. Also driving automobiles across larger bodies of water has near guaranteed to increase (not reduce) Fucks quantity - especially noticed in amount of Fucks leaving orally at high volume.

Chinook

Reaction score
Casual observation would indicate, recently purchased acura unlikely to survive the dampness of a drive to Maui... Perhaps staying continental while driving, for cars sake, if nothing else. :p

Congrats on new car.

Tip for winging fucks out... Regardless of fucks level, driving car across oceans, seas, or large lakes, is generally against all recommendations - manufacturers or otherwise. Also driving automobiles across larger bodies of water has near guaranteed to increase (not reduce) Fucks quantity - especially noticed in amount of Fucks leaving orally at high volume.

I was going to grab some pallets/55gql drums and a small boat trolling motor and make myself a Mexican yacht.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads