Good Towns for Poetry

Prufrock

Reaction score
First I want to admit that I'm a complete newbie and have never travelled on my own. So if I say something stupid, please try to look past it. And if this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

Here's my situation -- Basically what I want to do is be a vagabond poet. I want to travel around the country and write. So I'm wondering if there are any people on here like me who might know of some towns with a good "poetry scene."

I realize that not many places have a large poetry scene, and I'm not even sure if "poetry scenes" exist anymore, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
I know a few rainbow ladies who do street poetry readings and it seems to work alright for them. Most major cities out west seem to have some kinda "poetry scene" then of course there's always NYC. Berkley seems to have the highest ratio of "too smart to work" bums in the country, I'd start there.

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I think most people don't get poetry. If only there could be a short story scene!

Also, bay area is full of hipster fucks who like to think they can write epic poems in their moleskine notebooks. Disregard these people. Real poetry exists outside of those bullshit scenes. Real poetry, I think, exists in the most visceral of places. Think warzones, impoverished neighborhoods, freight yards.

cxR - "empty boxcars rolling down empty tracks/languid apparitions of capitalism"

Reactions: outskirts

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
I've never found that in punk places. Hippies do more of it, but there's a lot of dumb shit to filter through to actually hear something worthwhile. CXR is right about Berkeley and especially the "too smart to work" comment :D

Hate to point out that Prufrock is by far the worst poem that guy ever wrote, though.

Reactions: Mankini

bryanpaul

Reaction score
haight st. in sf might be a good spot...... lot's of old hippie heads hang out in the front of the park.......plenty of homeless resources ...the tourists would probly get off on some starry eyed travelin poet yakkin at em and give you MONEEEZ.....just gotta watch yer back a lil bit... SF can be violent sometimes...... any college town esp..like a liberal arts college probly has at least some kind of community.........goood luck

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
Truth is, I've met some people into it in NOLA, and it seems like there's more of a zine scene there than a lot of other places.

Eliot was interesting. I read him as a cultural critic and anthropologist more than a poet in the sense that people usually mean that word. Prufrock may fit that sense more than most of his work. Just isn't what I read Eliot for.

Prufrock

Reaction score
Baltimore? Is that a good place? I've been trying to think of somewhere east I could go that doesn't have a reputation for gang violence like NYC. Not that I've ever been there, but you know, I'd prefer not to have my brains scattered along a sidewalk for wearing the wrong colors.

JannethintheWind

Reaction score
Yea they I a good open mic scene. Know some pretty interesting people very mellow not pretentious. Very mixed crowd as well. And I think you had mentioned something about hopping. Not for me but know Baltimores an easy place to catch into. Good music scene in Baltimore too.

Reactions: jelly

ipoPua

Reaction score
And, NYC is an incredibly safe city. Unless you're an Occupy protestor.
when you live outside?

also i'm gonna print up a booklet before i start my trip. i leave may 8th, i'm probably gonna start copying shit this week. just gonna try and sell it to rides or whoever. make more copies whenever i find libraries. tittin. ya dig

miklo

Reaction score
Oakland. its not far from sf all you got to do is go on the bart. (bay area rapid transit).
its beautiful , very green, and gloomy. i preffered it better than Berkeley.

in nyc i went to this poetry club thats right in front of where cbgb once was. its definately an amazing place
basically all of Manhattan seems like a good place for poetry.

L

LeftCoast

Baltimore City has a pretty good scene, also, for crazy old libraries check out Vermont, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. SUPER old literature. Some books are as old as two hudnred years. It's pretty friggin nuts. For live scene, nyc, philly, burlington, rochester, ithica. Some spots in NC are legit, Durham, Raleigh, but they are few and far between. Haven't been out that way in a good minute.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
you should try writing poetry with a typewriter on the street. i saw someone doing that in new orleans years ago for $5 a pop, not a bad busking technique.

Reactions: outskirts

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I just left a poetry reading at Temple University in Philly.
I was at one there two weeks ago also, that time they had free food, cookies, mini sandwiches, veggie platter, soda!
My friend and I went drinking under a bridge first tonight, she kept finding ticks (crawling, no bites) on us on our way there.
I'm sure we left some there at the reading, lol.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads