1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Good Short-Term Jobs...

Discussion in 'Making A Living' started by TrainingHoppers, Nov 13, 2017 at 8:35 AM.

1. TrainingHoppers

TrainingHoppers Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    A Lonely Teen Looking for Somewhere Better
    Address:
    York, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    I checked in other posts with the same information but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

Are there any suggestions on short-term jobs that you can find pretty much anywhere in the U.S? I don't have much creative talent and don't have a ton of personal skills, but when it comes to Manual labor (and scamming, and begging), I can go for days.

As far as I can find, Fast-food seems to be the answer (save for McDonald's) but I was wondering if there were other options/places/ideas?

EDIT: Pay doesn't matter, as long as it's above minimum wage...

Thanks in advance!

#1 TrainingHoppers, Nov 13, 2017 at 8:35 AM
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 8:42 AM
  2. QueerCoyote

QueerCoyote granola punk

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    mindless worker
    Address:
    Syracuse, NY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +158 / -0
    Painting gigs, farm work, landscaping labor... ask farmers for work, check CL for landscaping/construction/painting gigs. There are always places in food service.

3. Weminuche

Weminuche is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Student.
    Address:
    Denver, CO, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +11 / -0
    I sometimes work a concert setup gig. Found it on Craigslist.
    It's super laid back. Haven't even talked to the guy in weeks. But If I wanted to I could text him today and ask if there's an event I could work.
    Seems like there's alot of traveller type folk on a lot of the jobs but I'm too nonsocial to really talk to them to confirm that.
    They need a shit ton of hands in pretty much every major city for the Roadies to order around. It's good, physical, low stress, fun work.
    I got to crawl under the stage and roll a piano onto an elevator thing for Guns n Roses last summer. It was tits!
    If you "make it" with the company sometimes they will send you to other states to help out their sister companies.
    If you really get into it you can learn to be a climber. These cats roll roll up to work with 60L packs full of climbing gear. It's dangerous and stressful cause if you drop a wrench over a stage you could kill someone. But I'm guessing the pay is pretty decent.
    Only con I can see is that you have to stick around for two weeks to pick up your paycheck. But the pro is you have a good job on every major city.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    TrainingHoppers

Achievements:
    Address:
    York, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    Yeah, always odd jobs around as well. Thanks for the input man!

That sounds great actually, in the offhand, how much do you think one roadie gig makes you?
    And I'm correct that this is something I could do one time and they wouldn't be hurt if I said "hey, I'm not interested in sticking around much" when it was all over?

5. Weminuche

Weminuche is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Student.
    Address:
    Denver, CO, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +11 / -0
    It's like $11/hour. Gigs range from 4-8 hours. I've worked from 5pm-2am once.
    Yea you don't even need to tell them "no." They send out a mass text and you respond if you want to work. If you're ever in Denver PM me and I'll give you the contact.

Edit: they feed the lunch sometimes!

• Like Like x 1
    #5 Weminuche, Nov 13, 2017 at 12:15 PM
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 12:22 PM
  6. OP
    OP
    TrainingHoppers

Achievements:
    Address:
    York, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    Damn, that's some hot stuff, thanks for the input, man!

7. angerisagift

angerisagift Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Address:
    Greeley, CO, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +491 / -25
    Another Sweet job .imo is sign spinner. I did that till business went out of business. Easy AF. Plus lot people give you drinks ,food, weed, and even got some Walmart gift cards. People just see u every day having a good time.